Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

driving with horsebox

• 10-09-2008 12:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

do you think that anyone would be interested in having driving lessons with horse trailers . to show them the basic parking reversing etc ?
    thinking of setting up a driving course for people who need the experience or just need help !!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭ecaf

Yes I would be anyway! Just getting my EB provisional. Had go at reversing etc but I'm useless. My BF told me I would probably figure it out best by myself, but I will want to get lessons before I take the test.
    Also my mother said she would be interested in getting lessons (when I was looking up driving schools) She has driven our horse box lots, but cannot get the whole reversing thing at all.

I think it's a good idea anyway! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

I would deffo be interested too, have been doing a little research into this and haven't come up with anything yet. I'm too scared to even pull a box on my own!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,636 ✭✭✭✭fits

I think you'd probably have to get certified as a driving instructor. Some driving schools already offer lessons with trailers/horseboxes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭otwb

Driving instructors must be registered with the RSA. I think that there is some form of temporarty registration until the end of the year.

Did my EB test during the summer and got lessons from Naas Driving School as I drive an automatic and this was the only place that I could find that would hire out the jeep and trailer. Funny that although there is supposed to be a register of instructors there doesn't appear to be a register of instructors specific to trailer tests...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭carlybabe1

Thats a brill idea, I would deffo be interested..By the way, does anyone know what the minimum engine size would be needed to pull a horse box?? My beloved car is letting in rain, every time I go to put the kids into it they are ankle deep in water so I have to get rid :( and am considering a jeep. Any advice is welcome

• Advertisement

Not enjine size that you have to worry about its the maximum towing weight - this will be detailed on the car/jeep specifications. Double ifor williams 505 with 2 horses = 2660kg (i think). You need something that will tow this weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Sugar Drunk

i would be interested. I have a jeep and a box but my first provisional has run out and (have a full driving licence its provisional box licence) and I cant apply for another cos I cant do a test as I cant reverse!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 curly pow

I think people would, as I was very anxious when I started with the horsebox even though I had the EB licence by default. There are already a few places in Dublin and Naas that do this, quite expensive!. The one in Naas does not use a horsebox but a trailer which put me off, as I wanted to learn with a horsebox attached.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Wicked

fished out this post because it was on the newspaper today that a man was fined and pulled over for driving without the correct licence.

even though he said he 'didn't know' he needed the licence he was still brought up in court and had to pay up.

definitly plan on getting mine this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Bellemz

I'd be interested, haven't gotten my provisional/jeep yet but very eager to learn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭finbarrk

In the test you have got to be able to reverse around a 90' corner using the mirrors. Takes a good bit of practice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,636 ✭✭✭✭fits

I've booked in for a lesson and am applying for the test soon.

My jeep's an automatic so I'm going to have to beg, borrow or steal a manual jeep for the test.

btw I've heard of people caught for this in the last two weeks as well. It sounds like they could be beginning to enforce it.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭shanagarry

finbarrk wrote: »
    In the test you have got to be able to reverse around a 90' corner using the mirrors. Takes a good bit of practice.

Into another road, like for a normal driving test, or just into a gateway or similar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Wicked

really 90 degree :eek:

this may be a stupid question but do you get a couple of go's at it :D what i mean is do you have to be able to reverse first time or can you go up and back etc? and is it in a gateway/drive?

definitly will be practicing more...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭finbarrk

An driving tester with any bit of cop on would have to give you a few chances at it. Once you get off on the right foot with him!

finbarrk wrote: »
    An driving tester with any bit of cop on would have to give you a few chances at it. Once you get off on the right foot with him!

When you are doing a reverse around the corner pulling forward is counted as a fault. So you can correct once, but fail if you move to correct (pull forward) again as it is two of the same faults.

I pulled forward once, then kept going back at a very slight angle. Was afraid to correct in case I over compensated and the examiner kept calling me back until I Iwent ever-so-slightly onto the grass verge :o I went on with the test assuming that I'd failed, but he just commented that I need to watch the reversing and passed me :D:D:D

kaz 123 wrote: »
    do you think that anyone would be interested in having driving lessons with horse trailers . to show them the basic parking reversing etc ? thinking of setting up a driving course for people who need the experience or just need help !!!

<snip>

AFAIK its illegal to give lessons unless you are registered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭Motor-Ed

<snip>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,339 ✭✭✭convert

You dragged up a thread that was 3 months old in order to mention your business. If you have a query regarding a mod's decision, you should follow the correct dispute resolution process and send a PM rather than querying the decision on-thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭Motor-Ed

convert wrote: »
    You dragged up a thread that was 3 months old in order to mention your business. If you have a query regarding a mod's decision, you should follow the correct dispute resolution process and send a PM rather than querying the decision on-thread.

Thanks for your considered and articulate response

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 126 ✭✭Theponylady

kaz 123 wrote: »
    do you think that anyone would be interested in having driving lessons with horse trailers . to show them the basic parking reversing etc ?
    thinking of setting up a driving course for people who need the experience or just need help !!!

I know loads of people who would take trailer driving lessons, if they were a reasonable cost. I've given many trailer driving lessons myself, and taught many people to drive them over the years. That was before it was required to have a special license to drive them though. Now I'm assuming you'd have to have RSA approval to be giving trailer driving lessons on the road. However, if you had them on some land where you didn't take anyone onto a public road, I think it would be legal. Having a course people could drive, learning to turn corners and accellerate without putting their horses through the trailer or throwing them to the side, and learning to reverse, would be really helpful to many people.

• Advertisement
Advertisement