Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WC 2010 Euro Qualifiers, Matchday 2

• 10-09-2008 9:27am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭

Albania v Malta, Gp 1, 19:45
    Andorra v Belarus, Gp 6, 18:00
    Azerbaijan v Liechtenstein, Gp 4, 17:00
    Bosnia-Herzegovina v Estonia, Gp 5, 19:15
    Croatia v England, Gp 6, 20:00
    Faroe Islands v Romania, Gp 7, 17:30
    Finland v Germany, Gp 4, 18:35
    France v Serbia, Gp 7, 20:00
    FYR Macedonia v Holland, Gp 9, 19:30
    Iceland v Scotland, Gp 9, 19:30
    Italy v Georgia, Gp 8, 19:50
    Kazakhstan v Ukraine, Gp 6, 17:00
    Latvia v Greece, Gp 2, 19:15
    Lithuania v Austria, Gp 7, 18:30
    Moldova v Israel, Gp 2, 18:30
    Montenegro v Rep of Ireland, Gp 8, 18:00
    Northern Ireland v Czech Republic, Gp 3, 19:45
    Portugal v Denmark, Gp 1, 20:45
    Russia v Wales, Gp 4, 16:00
    San Marino v Poland, Gp 3, 19:30
    Slovenia v Slovakia, Gp 3, 19:45
    Spain v Armenia, Gp 5, 21:00
    Sweden v Hungary, Gp 1, 19:15
    Switzerland v Luxembourg, Gp 2, 19:30
    Turkey v Belgium, Gp 5, 19:00
    Qualifying tests all round

England will aim to put an end to their Croatia jinx on Wednesday when the sides continue their rivalry in Zagreb with FIFA World Cup™ qualifying points at stake. The Group 6 clash stands out on busy night of action that includes European champions Spain's Group 5 tie against Armenia, and world champions Italy at home to Georgia.

Russia begin their campaign in Group 4 at home to Wales in Moscow, while the Netherlands face a tricky trip to Macedonia in Bert van Marwijk's first competitive match in charge.

England's new coach Fabio Capello got his first competitive victory on Saturday in a drab 2-0 win against Andorra in Barcelona, but things are about to heat up for the experienced Italian charged with restoring England's flagging fortunes.

Croatia, who won their Group 6 opener 3-0 against Kazakhstan on Saturday, beat England home and away to qualify for UEFA EURO 2008 and in so doing ended the dour reign of former England coach Steve McClaren.

The 2-0 defeat in October 2006 seemed to sum up England's malaise during the McClaren era: a comical own goal from experienced defender Gary Neville after an air kick from goalkeeper Paul Robinson, leaving bitter memories. Another loss would cast further gloom over a national side struggling to repair battered reputations.

"Croatia will be strong and the level of the quality of the players will be better and more dangerous," said Capello, who will hope central defender Rio Ferdinand recovers from a back injury, after the Andorra victory. "They are a good team and, when they play at home, the fans help the players a lot. The fans are very strong in terms of emotion and passion."

The match will have added spice as English Premier League club West Ham United have admitted they are keen to talk to Croatia coach Slaven Bilic about their managerial vacancy.

Unconvincing

Spain began with a 1-0 defeat of Bosnia on Saturday in Vicente del Bosque's first meaningful match, and should make it six points out of six when they host Armenia. The world's top-ranked side were not totally convincing against Bosnia, likewise Italy who began Group 8 with a 2-1 victory in Cyprus courtesy of Antonio Di Natale's stoppage time goal for the Azzurri.

Marcello Lippi will be looking for a more fluent display against the Georgians, who were beaten 2-1 on Saturday by Ireland in a "home" match played in neutral Germany.

Russia, who reached the semi-finals of EURO 2008, will need a good start to their campaign where Germany will provide the main hurdle to FIFA World Cup qualification. They should be too strong for a young Welsh team in Moscow while Germany will need to be on their toes away to Finland, a much tougher proposition that Liechtenstein who they walloped 6-0 on Saturday.

The Netherlands were beaten by Australia in a friendly on Saturday, but the real business begins for Van Marwijk in Skopje, where Macedonia have already beaten Scotland in Group 9.

Lithuania and Austria, who recorded Group 7 shocks against Romania and France on Saturday, meet in an unlikely early battle for top spot in Marijampole.

Raymond Domenech's days as France coach could be numbered if his side fail to bounce back from Saturday's humbling 3-1 defeat against Austria when the Germany 2006 runners-up face Serbia in Paris.

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/newsid=874519.html#qualifying+tests+round

Hoping Georgia nick a draw against Italy. *fingers crossed*

I think Wales are gonna get completely thumped by Hiddink & co., and possibly Croatia to steam roll over England.

Domenech to walk the plank later tonight?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

England's defeat tonight is almost inevitable - I just cannot see them winning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

I think England will get a draw out of the game tonight. They will need discipline from rotund Frank however. Prob going for a Xmas tree formation so he could have Barry and Beckham either side of him in a MidField 3 with JCole and Walcott roaming in front of them.
    I actually like this system for England although not necessarily the personnel being used.

Nico Kovac loves time on the ball so Cole an d Walcott will be charged with upsetting him. Still don't think Croatia are all that good. Need a top class striker (eduardo) to really push on, but they are good in possession and Modric is very impressive.

I also fancy NornIron to get a draw at Windsor tonight against the Czechs. Czech are decent but not wonderful and NI are tough to beat (although very limited still) at home.

Possible upset could be Finland at home to Germany or Serbia away to France. Serbia could probably get at least a point out of it.

I think Wales could get a trimming in Russia. Seem to be going backwards since Sparky left a few years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Gareth37

Last time England played them it was a 3 5 2 formation with Parker Neville and Ashley Cole all in midfield. Robsinson made a howler too.

Edwardo was mom that day and he is missing tonight.

A shock England result could be on the cards although nobody can be sure how good Croatia could be. They are ranked 5th but are missing their best player.

Betting wise I think the safe bet is to lay Croatia +1.

Italy are missing their back 4 tonight against Georgia so this poor Georgia side could score.

Based on past head to head results I will go for a small margin victory for Italy, 1-0, 2-0:

Results
    World Cup Europe

02.06.2001 qrg8 Georgia 1-2 Italy
    11.10.2000 qrg8 Italy 2-0 Georgia
    10.09.1997 qrg2 Georgia 0-0 Italy
    09.10.1996 qrg2 Italy 1-0 Georgia

European Championships
    13.10.2007 qrgb Italy 2-0 Georgia
    11.10.2006 qrgb Georgia 1-3 Italy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I just hope the England Croatia match is another cracker, very entertaining last time

Its a bit of a fcuking joke for England that they don't even have highlights on MOTD.
    I'm not going to see it cause its on Setanta and i can't be arsed going out for it. NI on sky for me by the looks of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

I see England nicking a win and at worst a draw against what is only an ok Croat side.

Italy should just do it against Georgia but there wont be a whole lot in it.

Northern Ireland have a big chance to upset the Czechs

Scotland and Wales should lose.

Agree on the poss upset with France, that team is clearly vunerable

ibh wrote: »
    Its a bit of a fcuking joke for England that they don't even have highlights on MOTD.
    I'm not going to see it cause its on Setanta and i can't be arsed going out for it. NI on sky for me by the looks of it.

Setanta has replaced Sky Sports as the live football channel. Well worth getting for the National and International football from Ireland.

Unfortunately finances do not allow at the moment. I don't even have sky sports in my place but the folks live close by.

I think i am going to have to find a way of 'aquiring' it soon though. It costs more in paying for pints down the pub when i'm watching a match than the subscription.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,592 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Russia 1 Wales 0, nearing half time. Bale missed a penalty for Wales

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

wales just scored to make it 1-1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

1-1 poor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

G'wan Wales. Would be nice to see Toshacks young guns do well this campaign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭genericgoon

2-1 Russia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

is it weird to be cheering for azerbaijan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

England line-up looks decent.

Heskey in for Defoe. A proper big targetman for Rooney.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Finland 3-2 Germany

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,592 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

LOL

Switzerland 1 Luxembourg 2

and Lithuania beat Austria 2-0, 2 from 2 for them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Luxembourg beating Switzerland:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

eagle eye wrote: »
    Luxembourg beating Switzerland:eek:

9 yellow cards, 6 of em for luxembourg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Fookin' hell, Bosnia certainly did a number on Estonia.

7-0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

David Villa scores again for Spain. What a machine...

Bojan coming on, take that Serbia... :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

Oh wow. Just watched the Portugal vs Denmark game
    I caught it at the start of the 2nd half and Portugal were 1-0 up and non stop attacking, should had it wrapped up well before the end. The Danes then equalise on 83 minutes. Portugal immediately go on the attack and get a penalty on the 84th minute which they duly converted. The danes are not finished though and on the 90th minute they get another equaliser. It was a very scrappy goal, cross fell at the feet of the Danish striker and he converted it from 3 yards out.
    Looks like finish as a draw but no *bang* 25 yards out, big deflection and Denmark win in it the 93rd minute. It finishes 3-2

What a game!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Have just seen the highlights of the Portugal Denmark game and laughed out loud when the deflection went in at the end.

Another case of you have to take your chances:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

1-0 away win for Australia over Uzbekistan. Scott Chipperfield with the goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭JæKæ

Lithuania have won two out of two. Beat Austria home and Romania away. Five goals for and none conceded. They're on fire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Wasn't there some Bohs lad playing for Lithuania? ;)

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

KevIRL wrote: »
    LOL

Switzerland 1 Luxembourg 2
    Wonder if it has anything to do with that big scientific thingamajig in Switzerland? :pac:

Gareth37 wrote: »
    Last time England played them it was a 3 5 2 formation with Parker Neville and Ashley Cole all in midfield. Robsinson made a howler too.

Edwardo was mom that day and he is missing tonight.

A shock England result could be on the cards although nobody can be sure how good Croatia could be. They are ranked 5th but are missing their best player.

Betting wise I think the safe bet is to lay Croatia +1.

Italy are missing their back 4 tonight against Georgia so this poor Georgia side could score.

Based on past head to head results I will go for a small margin victory for Italy, 1-0, 2-0:

Results
    World Cup Europe

02.06.2001 qrg8 Georgia 1-2 Italy
    11.10.2000 qrg8 Italy 2-0 Georgia
    10.09.1997 qrg2 Georgia 0-0 Italy
    09.10.1996 qrg2 Italy 1-0 Georgia

European Championships
    13.10.2007 qrgb Italy 2-0 Georgia
    11.10.2006 qrgb Georgia 1-3 Italy

England counter Croatia's style of play and finish on a similar scoreline as to the World Cup which was 4-2 England and Rooney scored twice. Poor FC Twente, I think this result highlights how bad a manager Steve McClaren was.

I think that England will top the group and with their style of play and manager they will do very well i 2010. They are going to be difficult to beat.

As seen above the past trends proved right in Italy vs Georgia. Always 1-0 or 2-0 Italy and a 90th minute goal for Italy makes it 2-0. :)

I think that Ireland will easily beat Cyprus away and home, by a decent margin in both cases

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Wasn't there some Bohs lad playing for Lithuania? ;)

Yeah, Mindaugas played last half hour for them

Could be a LOI based footballer in Africa in 2010 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

eZe^ wrote: »
    Bojan coming on, take that Serbia... :pac:

you thought i am not gonna see this?:mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

you thought i am not gonna see this?:mad::mad::mad:

what was his father doing? he should have been drumming young Bojan will great tales of his homeland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

Well we tryed to get him,his father said he would like him to play for Serbia,but i understand Bojan,he is born and grown up in Spain and he said he loves Serbia but he feels like spanish and this is normal,i didnt expected he will play for Serbia and it would be weird after all

Advertisement