Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rip-off Shops/Off-Licences around Galway? (Sticky?)

Options
  • 10-09-2008 10:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭

I'll get the ball rolling:

A certain Petrol Station/Shop/Off-License in Newcastle that very recently changed names, at the Traffic Lights at the bridge... ABSOLUTE RIP OFF, TO BE AVOIDED

Buckfast: Over €10
    Bulmers can: €2.80
    Budweiser can: €2.30

McCoy's crisps: 90c (Think this is more expensive than other places?)

In general the place overcharges, especially for booze because they know students will pay for the convenience.... I know Supply Vs. Demand etc. but i'm boycotting the place when it comes to booze in the future

-Edit- The name of the petrol station is TOPAZ, recently renamed from Statoil. I feel there is no problem in naming them as I listed their prices (as said below)

So, anyone got any more? Might be useful for new students in Galway so they know where to avoid

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Name the shop, you've just given their prices.

No publicity is bad publicity :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Super Valu on Fr. Griffin Road - will never go there again. Last year during the water crisis they increased the price of 5L Galway mineral water by 40c the day after the Council announced they would be subsidising that particular brand. Profiteering bastards!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Well one total rip off I found was a couple of months back. Got a new elec toothbrush in boots for about 16yoyo's. Doing the shopping later that day the exact same tooth brush in one of the big supermarkets was over 40yoyo's. There was some poor woman getting them for her familly and was more than happy to just reach into her basket take them out and put them back on the shelf and then tell her where to go. Honestly over €24 in in the difference? Thats more than a rip off.

As for other rip offs I really feel this topaz crowd are gonna make fuel costs a big pain. They all charge the same and they are all bloody expensive. Hell I got petrol down the country at the weekend for 122.... the diesel in the same place was around 126 if I remember right!

On a similar note- what shops still do mobile phone surcharges. I know Hollands in Eyre Square do

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

On a similar note- what shops still do mobile phone surcharges. I know Hollands in Eyre Square do
    That shop by the hostal opposite The Quays charges for top-ups

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭axiom32

JohnCleary wrote: »

Bulmers can: €2.80

my mate left G & L last week cos of the cost only to be stung by the fifty cent increase in topaz plus the cost of petrol :phe was rippin but thirsty so sucumbed to price hike

No 1 Shop - buckfast 11.50
    certain chinnese 6pack 18euros ( but at that hour ya dont mind)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,955 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

PC World vs Maplin.

Across the car-park from each other in Wellpark.

Similar items can vary by 10-euro or more. (And I'm talking about cables that cost "only" 14-euro on one ...). Always compare em, because one isn't consistently more than expensive than the other, it varies by item.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bass Cadet

Mace(d) on Shantalla Rd

Paid €4.20 for a 4 pack of bog roll in there before, I kid thee not, and not even the 'luxury' stuff!! The rest of their prices are sky high aswell in comparison to shops of a similar size. Myself or any of my housemates have never darkened their door again. Disgraceful

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

That shop beside the skeff in eyre square..was in a hurry a few weeks back to catch a train and popped in for a small bottle of water...1.80!!!

I believe the cans of coke in there are in the region of 1.10euro. Ridiculous considering if you made the walk to Dunnes Edward Square or Eyre Square, you can buy a bottle for 1euro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

I believe the cans of coke in there are in the region of 1.10euro. Ridiculous considering if you made the walk to Dunnes Edward Square or Eyre Square, you can buy a bottle for 1euro.

But can's are much nicer!! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

Henchys in Rosan Glas, Old Rahoon Road. I always knew the place was expensive but when I paid 3:35 for a packet of chocolate digestive biscuits, this was the final straw. Surely that's a crazy price for a fairly ordinary product? I only go in there now for emergencies..milk, bread etc. and my new policy is that if I ever have to buy more that 2 products at the one time, I'll make the effort to go to the new Dunnes, rather than going into Henchy's. They charge 65cent for a croissant. That seems very expensive to me. Is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

Correction...it's actually 3:39 for the biscuits and 79 cent for the croissant! I won't be buying them there anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

Nestor's Centra in Doughiska are a rip-off. I'd decided to only shop in there for an odd loaf of bread or 2L of milk after seeing the savings I was making by shopping in Lidl. But, after paying 2.07 for a 'Pat the Baker's Toasty' white sliced yesterday, I'll only ever go into that shop to use their ATM in future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

axiom32 wrote: »
    certain chinnese 6pack 18euros ( but at that hour ya dont mind)

They could charge double that and I still buy it! ;) Really great chicken balls. I presume you are referring to their sixpack of chicken balls? They are expensive but very hard to get them anywhere else that time of night...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

kayos wrote: »
    Honestly over €24 in in the difference? Thats more than a rip off.
    Yeah, you've got to be careful with the big chains, they price some things low, advertise these, and jack up other things in the hopes you won't notice it. It pays real dividends to cherry pick what you want, if you have the time to go from shop to shop. Their marketing departments call this behaviour "demon customers" by the way. :D
    kayos wrote: »
    As for other rip offs I really feel this topaz crowd are gonna make fuel costs a big pain. They all charge the same and they are all bloody expensive. Hell I got petrol down the country at the weekend for 122.... the diesel in the same place was around 126 if I remember right!
    Wasn't there a shower of these garage owners jailed for operating a cartel in the last while? Might be worth sending a quick email to the competition authority or possibly the consumer affairs people.

On another note, that garage at the top of prospect hill. I stopped off in there to get a breakfast roll, and €6 bought me a sealed roll that when opened was found to contain, wait for it, one sausage and the bread it was sitting in. I kid you not.

Yeah, you've got to be careful with the big chains, they price some things low, advertise these, and jack up other things in the hopes you won't notice it. It pays real dividends to cherry pick what you want, if you have the time to go from shop to shop. Their marketing departments call this behaviour "demon customers" by the way. :D

Wasn't there a shower of these garage owners jailed for operating a cartel in the last while? Might be worth sending a quick email to the competition authority or possibly the consumer affairs people.

On another note, that garage at the top of prospect hill. I stopped off in there to get a breakfast roll, and €6 bought me a sealed roll that when opened was found to contain, wait for it, one sausage and the bread it was sitting in. I kid you not.

6euro for that? That's ridiculous. Though I have to say that the one down near the Huntsman is quite good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

6euro for that? That's ridiculous. Though I have to say that the one down near the Huntsman is quite good.
    Yeah, it looked like a real breakfast roll until you opened it. I guess they thought nobody would bother to follow up a bad roll, which is basically true.

Advertisement