Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you ever had your drink spiked ?

Options
  • 10-09-2008 10:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭

Have you ever had your drink spiked, with extra alcohol or something of a chemical nature ?

Over the last year it has happened to two of my friends on a night out when I was there.
    One of them doesn't drink alcohol at all so we knew right away,
    the other had only 2 and half glasses of wine but we figured it out quickly,
    both times it was chemical and it happened recently to another friend as well.

Then there was the lad who bought one of my friends a vodak and coke and it was a tripple she wasn't impressed at all.

http://www.4woman.gov/FAQ/rohypnol.htm

I would say one of the reasons it is under reported it due to the fact rohypnol causes aminsea.
    hat is Rohypnol
    Advertisement

Rohypnol is a short-acting benzodiazepine with general properties similar to those of Valium. It is used in the short-term treatment of insomnia, as a pre-medication in surgical procedures and for inducing anaesthesia.

Like other benzodiazepines (such as Valium, Librium and Xanax), Rohypnol's effects include sedation, muscle relaxation, reduction in anxiety, and prevention of convulsions. However, Rohypnol's sedative effects are approximately 7 to 10 times stronger than Valium. The effects of Rohypnol appear 15 to 20 minutes after administration and last approximately four to six hours. Some residual effects can be found 12 hours or more after administration.

Rohypnol causes partial amnesia; individuals are unable to remember certain events that they experienced while under the influence of the drug. This effect is particularly dangerous when Rohypnol is used to aid in the commission of sexual assault; victims may not be able to clearly recall the assault, the assailant, or the events surrounding the assault. It is difficult to estimate just how many Rohypnol-facilitated rapes have occurred in the United States. Very often, biological samples are taken from the victim at a time when the effects of the drug have already passed and only residual amounts remain in the body fluids. These residual amounts are difficult, if not impossible, to detect using standard screening assays available in the United States. If Rohypnol exposure is to be detected at all, urine samples need to be collected within 72 hours and subjected to sensitive analytical tests. The problem is compounded by the onset of amnesia after ingestion of the drug, which causes the victim to be uncertain about the facts surrounding the rape. This uncertainty may lead to critical delays or even reluctance to report the rape and to provide appropriate biological samples for toxicology testing.
    Abuse Potential

While Rohypnol has become widely known for its use as a date-rape drug, it is abused more frequently for other reasons. It is abused by high school students, college students, street gang members, rave party attendees, and heroin and cocaine abusers to produce profound intoxication, boost the high of heroin, and modulate the effects of cocaine. Rohypnol is usually consumed orally, is often combined with alcohol, and is abused by crushing tablets and snorting the powder. Rohypnol abuse causes a number of adverse effects in the abuser, including drowsiness, dizziness, loss of motor control, lack of coordination, slurred speech, confusion, and gastrointestinal disturbances, lasting 12 or more hours. Higher doses produce respiratory depression.

Chronic use of Rohypnol can result in physical dependence and the appearance of withdrawal syndrome when the drug is discontinued. Rohypnol impairs cognitive and psychomotor functions affecting reaction time and driving skill. The use of this drug in combination with alcohol is a particular concern as both substances potentiate each other's toxicity.

So Rohypnol can be detected in the body for up to 72 hours and alas GHB can only be detected for 12, so it is important that people get tested and yes guys get spiked too.

There are those who will say that it's a lot of nonsense and this doesn't happen and where are the official figures, but those required people, mostly women reporting this when it happens and most don't due to aminesa or embarrassment or wishing it never happened. Given the under reporting of rape and sexual assulat in this country I don't find that surprising at all.

So ladies have you or your friends ever had your drinks spiked with chemicals or extra alcohol ?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

There was a discussion about this on one of the radio shows a few weeks ago and a lot of people rang in to say that the percentage given was too high and that most people who thought their drink was spiked just got really really drunk and don't remember so blame their actions on being spiked.

It has happened to me, but when I was in the States a few years ago. I think it was a barman as my friend and I kept an eye on our drinks the whole night. And even at that we didn't have a huge amount to drink. I was fine one minute, then in the taxi I started to mumble and not make sense. My friend had to hold me up when we got back to the apartment and I nearly fell over the banisters. I threw up any time I woke up. I was in bed for 2 days after that night out. It took me about 5 days to fully recover from it. I never went and got myself tested as I didn't have any health insurance. Luckily nothing bad happened to me, but I was very scared as I couldn't move from the bed.

I well believe it is happening here and that a lot of the time, the spiker knows the spikee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Happened to me last year believe it or not :eek:

Was in a pub, had 1 pint then the rest of the night is a blur. I don't remember anything, I was drinking with a huge bunch of women though so maybe the scumbag thought it was one of the girl's drinks. Another girl in the group also got spiked.

Very scary.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

One of my friends had her drink spiked while we were on a mystery tour with college, it either happened in the first venue we arrived at or someone spiked her drink on the bus (probably at the first club - there's not much chance of date raping someone on a bus when they're surrounded by their friends) She started acting really strange, like she was absolutely trolleyed, even though it was quite early on in the trip and she had only had about two drinks. She's not a big drinker as it is, so we noticed and were able to look after her. She has absolutely no recollection of it at all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

Happen to me one night in a very posh bar. Got cocktails with some friends, and none of remember the rest of the night. (one cocktail was all we drank and we had been out for dinner) The other two went home, but I went to meet up with my ex (he was my bf at the time). He said it is some of the scariest he has ever seen me act. I haver a vague memory of sliding off a bench onto the ground and not being able to control my limbs. I have no memory of getting on the bus, or home. Amazing what one can do on auto pilot.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Yup, about 10 years ago I was at a fashion event in the pod, had water all through the show and ordered a pint just as the as it was turned back into a club. I had about 3/4 of a pint left when I needed the loo, handed the pint to my then boyfriend and tottered off, came back and he handed me back the drink, now my drink was a little less full but I thought he had been drinking it. I finished the pint and again went to the loo, here everything goes a bit hazy, i remember sitting in the toilet puking my guts up, hearing people calling my name but being unable to call back out to them, with people hammering on the door, eventually my friend (who thankfully was a nurse) climbed over the door and found me, according to her my eyes were rolling in the back of my head and I was projectile vomiting everywhere, and making no sense at all. An hour had passed since I left to go to the loo and everyone had been looking for me. Eventually they got me outside and into a taxi, but I had to get out again as I was puking. The whole time I knew something had been done to me, as everything was so unreal and I was so out of it.
    I eventually got home and remember forcing myself not to sleep as I was so scared I wouldn't wake up. It took me a good 4-5 days to get over it, for the next 2 days my balance was awful, the morning after it happened I just kept keeling over out of the blue.
    Turns out the boyfriend at the time had put my pint down when I went to the Loo and picked it up again as I walked back, so i dunno if he picked up someone elses doctored pint or if it was deliberate.
    it was the scariest thing ever, and I always watch my drinks like a hawk now.

• Advertisement

Yeah I was in pieces for the nexy 2 days also, couldn't even keep down water. Scary, I don't remember anything, night is a total blank. My mates just laughed about it thinking I was off my trolley drunk. They feel terrible about it now.

I got sick outside of the pub and when we got home, then most of the day after. Can happen so easily. Was grand on the 3rd day

I'm big enough so maybe the same amount effects ladies a lot more. :-/

Yeah worst thing was my boyfriend at the time panicked and told everyone that i drank too much including my family so they didn't believe about it being something else, till the nurse friend told them, thank god she was there that night so knew exactly how to look after me.
    What scares me the most is imagine a girl out on her own being like that, I couldn't even put one foot in front of the other let alone call out for help, I don't know how to explain it but my body just would not do what I was trying to make it do, it took all my energy to keep my eyes open and focused during it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Yeah, I tried to get up the second day after the night it happened to go to the toilet and could barely make it and had to go back to bed I was so weak. I had so many burst capillaries on my face because of the vomiting. I drank gatorade by the bucketful after.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Did any of you get tested after? Even just to find out what chemical it was? It was unlikely to be rohypnol as it does not really disolve and is really blue.

Could have been something like

GHB http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamma-Hydroxybutyric_acid
    or
    Ketamine http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketamine

Ketamine (Special K) is a horse tranquiliser used by vets and GHB (often called liquid mdma incorrectly) is a general anesthetic. Both are fairly widely available and the effects are similar to what was described. Both are very dangerous when taken with alchohol so your friends should have taken you to hospital in all cases bar none.

I was away in France at the time, would have been the wiser thing to do.
    There are pics from the night and my eyes are just blank, I'm there in person but that's about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Rayven199

Hasnt happened to me thank god. Hope it never does!

Was out with 2 of my friends one night though and we had only had 2 drinks (at the most) by the time we got into Kildare town. We got drinks in one of the pubs in Kildare and shortly after that one of my friends appeared to be buckled! Shes a small girl but well able for her drink and after only 3 drinks we were a bit surprised!

I have never seen anything like it though, she didnt know what was going on, where she was and lost complete control of herself. We had to carry her out of the place, she couldnt walk. We eventually got her phone out and called her boyfriend who came and picked her up. She was sick for the next two days, doesnt remember a thing from the night-even for a long time after her BF picked her up!

It was scary, we thought she had maybe had some drink before she had come out but afterwards she said that she hadnt so the only explaination is that the drink was spiked!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭fits

Its never happened to me or any of my friends that I know of.

It think ketamine is the best candidate for it in a lot of cases as it is widely available. Users put it in their own drinks too. For some unfathomable reason its a big club drug these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

2 of my female cousins have had it happen, one was raped the other was lucky in that her friends were there to bring her home.

The girl who was raped doesn't drink at all & as far as I know was one of her "friends" who did it

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭litup

It happened to me once many years ago on holidays. The boyfriend says it was the scariest night of his life, I don't really remember it exept for odd flashes. Luckily I had some good friends with me who brought me home. I woke up the next morning with scratches all over myself, apparantly I had thought there were spiders all over me. I had had a fair few drinks but there is no way drink made me act like that.

I used to work behind the bar in a well known nightclub in Dublin. One night 2 lads came up asking for pints with double vodkas in them. I twigged what they were up to and said no so they went to a bar on a different floor and ordrered 2 pints and 2 vodkas, which they then lobbed in. Security found them just as they were giving them to 2 girls (who had thought there were lovely generous lads for getting a round in).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

fits wrote: »
    It think ketamine is the best candidate for it in a lot of cases as it is widely available. Users put it in their own drinks too. For some unfathomable reason its a big club drug these days.
    I reckon the same. Ketamine is the more likely culprit. I've known enough better life through chemistry types over the years and I would say rohypnol would be hard enough to come by. Ketamine would be a doddle by comparison.

The only thing are the symptoms people report here. I would have thought ketamine would clear the system far quicker than 3 days. AFAIR It doesn't cause amnesia to that degree either. Then again who knows the dosage and with alcohol too.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    I reckon the same. Ketamine is the more likely culprit. I've known enough better life through chemistry types over the years and I would say rohypnol would be hard enough to come by. Ketamine would be a doddle by comparison.

The only thing are the symptoms people report here. I would have thought ketamine would clear the system far quicker than 3 days. AFAIR It doesn't cause amnesia to that degree either. Then again who knows the dosage and with alcohol too.

No amnesia - in high enough doses it does...
    "Ketamine produces a most useful state of dissociative anaesthesia. The patient rapidly goes into a trance-like state, with widely open eyes and nystagmus. He is unconscious, amnesic and deeply analgesic."

Wibbs wrote: »

Yeah I agree. When people are sick for a long time after something else must be the culprit. I dont know anything about GHB.

But loss of limb control, amnesia and generally being out of it is what ketamine does. Nausea only in very few cases.

kmick wrote: »
    Did any of you get tested after? Even just to find out what chemical it was? It was unlikely to be rohypnol as it does not really disolve and is really blue.

Could have been something like

GHB http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamma-Hydroxybutyric_acid
    or
    Ketamine http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketamine

Ketamine (Special K) is a horse tranquiliser used by vets and GHB (often called liquid mdma incorrectly) is a general anesthetic. Both are fairly widely available and the effects are similar to what was described. Both are very dangerous when taken with alchohol so your friends should have taken you to hospital in all cases bar none.

Never got tested, to be honest for ages afterwards the boyfriend at the time had me half convinced it was nothing major, I was only 18 or so and honestly felt embarassed and stupid about the whole thing.
    Plus by the time i was back to being human and that thought crossed my mind, the window for detection had long passed.
    It was only looking back and talking to the friend that was there that I was sure something had happened.
    Actually the nurse mentioned Ketamine, she thought it was that or some other drug rather then rohypnol.

Yeah I agree. When people are sick for a long time after something else must be the culprit. I dont know anything about GHB.

But loss of limb control, amnesia and generally being out of it is what ketamine does. Nausea only in very few cases.

The one thing you have to factor in for any of these drugs is that they are bought and sold by unscrupulous people who cut them with other noxious products. So if you took GHb or Ketamine in a pure dose from Johnson and Fonson big pharma then you probably wont be ill.You take some GHB from a backstreet lab in Holland. Add in some bulkers from a guy in Cabra and mix it with alchohol and gods knows what else then all bets are off as regards side effects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Yes, but it may have been one of those weird red bull reactions. I was out with a bunch of new college people and their friends. I felt wrong so I went to the toilets and I couldnt move. I decided that my drink must have been spiked so I mustered up my energy to stick my fingers down my throat and purge everything in my stomach. I was in that toilet for a good half hour. I tried to call a friend but there was no reception so I waited until I felt better and less weak then resurfaced and called my friend to pick me up. It was scary thinking that my drink could have been spiked.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Happened a friend and I a few years ago. Were in a pub in the south city, we reckon we were spiked there just before we left the pub as we got a taxi into town and then blank. Have no recollection of anything after that. We remember going down the steps to the club but nothing after that, no idea how we got home and I have no recollection of anything until about 1pm the next day. I was at a conference with a colleague in the morning and don't remember even how I got there.:eek: Friend was the exact same. It was absolutely terrifying.

The one thing you have to factor in for any of these drugs is that they are bought and sold by unscrupulous people who cut them with other noxious products. So if you took GHb or Ketamine in a pure dose from Johnson and Fonson big pharma then you probably wont be ill.You take some GHB from a backstreet lab in Holland. Add in some bulkers from a guy in Cabra and mix it with alchohol and gods knows what else then all bets are off as regards side effects.

Drug dealers are in business the same as anyone else. Its not in their interest to sell something that will make someone violently ill for days on end.

Also the ketamine available on the streets here generally originates from the big pharma companies rather than backstreet labs. Vets, dentists and doctors all use it ( not recreationally obviously :D). My point being that it is widely available and not illegal, although it is tightly controlled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Fletch123

Happened at a ball I was at. Put my wine down beside my friends to dance picked it up again, and after a while *blank*. according to my friends I suddenly got very very very drunk, falling all over the place, then ran to the loo where I puked my guts up and passed out on rotation for about an hour before my date was able to bring me home. Wasn't right for about 3 days afterwards. It was only after a few weeks that I realised that my drink must have been spiked (had been trying not to think about it as I was so embarrassed). I probably picked up the wrong glass after dancing...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Think it happened to me years ago in Dublin.

Was drinking, so definitely had drink taken, however went from "fine, drinking" to "falling over, vomiting" within the space of 30 minutes, with no drunkenness in between. Tried to climb out of the back of a moving taxi on Pearse Street about 30 minutes later.

The thing that made me think my drink was spiked, instead of me just being drunk, was I had no hangover the next day. I just woke up feeling as though I had lost great expanses of memory.

This is a really scarey thread. :(

I've a few friends claim that their drinks were spiked. But actually they were overdoing vodka.

Drug dealers are in business the same as anyone else. Its not in their interest to sell something that will make someone violently ill for days on end.

Also the ketamine available on the streets here generally originates from the big pharma companies rather than backstreet labs. Vets, dentists and doctors all use it ( not recreationally obviously :D). My point being that it is widely available and not illegal, although it is tightly controlled.

The point I am making is that if you are given something and you dont know what it is you cant possibly determine whether or not it will make you sick or how sick you will be. I just gave an example of some GHB manufactured illegally, mixed with god knows what and then taken with alcohol. How do you know most of the Ketamine originates from big pharma - with all due respect are you the sole supplier - cause if not then I would respectfully suggest you have no idea where it comes from.

Funnily enough I found a description of an overdose of ketamine - it is called a k-hole.

K-Hole: In terms of recreational use, the most problematic acute risk associated with Special K is doing too much at once, moving from a recreational dose to an anesthetic dose, and ending up in a K-hole. The experience can be quite frightening if you are alone or are unprepared for it-the dissociative quality of this drug will leave you feeling confused, disoriented, and unable to communicate with others. This can lead to any number of problems-vomiting, passing out, being scared ****less, being a burden on any friends who have to look after your, or ending an otherwise great night. If you want to avoid a K-hole, take some time to figure out what the correct dose is for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I've had that thing happen to me once before from drinking wine. I was in a mates place surrounded by friends so I ruled out spikeage. I think I just had an extremely bad reaction to the wine as I was puking my guts up for most of the night, only after 2 glasses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

A scary amount of people are coming up with stories of being spiked and this thread isnt even up long :eek:

How do you know most of the Ketamine originates from big pharma - with all due respect are you the sole supplier - cause if not then I would respectfully suggest you have no idea where it comes from.

from wikipedia.
    Ketamine sold illicitly comes from diverted legitimate supplies and semi-legitimate suppliers, or theft, primarily from veterinary clinics. Most of the world's illicit ketamine comes from Asia-based pharmaceutical manufacturers, who often willingly sell it to Western individuals, who then sell it to users. This way, many ounces or even kilos of pharmaceutical ketamine are sold and shipped in each transaction by legitimate Asian producers, who will sometimes relabel the packaging before shipping with names of unregulated chemicals, making it harder for customs to discover the shipments. The many commercial advertisement websites aimed at companies who are looking to import or export products has made it a lot easier for individuals to buy ketamine over the Internet. Until recent years ketamine wasn't regulated in most countries, and customs and police authorities were powerless to stop the import of bulk pharmaceutical ketamine from Asian manufacturers; though this has changed due to the rising number of reports of use/abuse of ketamine, prompting countries to regulate the drug. Chinese authorities tried to regulate the production and sale of ketamine more as well in recent years, and several large quantities of ketamine meant for illicit sale were seized by authorities. In the US near its border with Mexico, the drug is most commonly acquired in Mexico, where it can be bought over the counter in veterinary clinics, and smuggled across the border.

The drug is widely available across the world. It is easy to acquire and easy to ship to countries like Ireland. Why would illegal suppliers build their own manufacturing facilities when it is so easy to acquire?

Practically anything can be bought over the counter in some countries.
    Funnily enough I found a description of an overdose of ketamine - it is called a k-hole.

K-Hole: In terms of recreational use, the most problematic acute risk associated with Special K is doing too much at once, moving from a recreational dose to an anesthetic dose, and ending up in a K-hole. The experience can be quite frightening if you are alone or are unprepared for it-the dissociative quality of this drug will leave you feeling confused, disoriented, and unable to communicate with others. This can lead to any number of problems-vomiting, passing out, being scared ****less, being a burden on any friends who have to look after your, or ending an otherwise great night. If you want to avoid a K-hole, take some time to figure out what the correct dose is for you.

Thats kind of what I was describing earlier.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Thaedydal wrote: »
    So ladies have you or your friends ever had your drinks spiked with chemicals or extra alcohol ?

was at a party a few months ago, and i was being very careful about what i was drinking, as i had to drive the next day.

Someone offered me a short, i said no but it was pushed on me. i thought i was doing really well because i was just sipping the drink and it was lasting and then everything went a bit mental.

i got told the next morning, that the person had been topping up my drink with straight alcohol everytime i turned my back and that i must have had at least 1/2 a bottle of spirits on top of the lager i had been drinking .

suffice to say, i wasnt well the next day or impressed. i am not really a big drinker usually. i thought it was very unfair of the person but also of the people who noticed what was going on and didnt tell me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement