Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you ever had your drink spiked ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

I have a suspicion that people tend to get really trolled and then blame being plastered on their drink being spiked- walk around the end of grafton street when the trinity ball is on - they can't all be drinking spiked drinks.

It's even more telling that people are drinking vodka, wine and other drinks with high alcohol contents that can HIT you on an empty stomach/fatigue etc.

I would guess the actual incidence's of people having their drinks spiked is very very low and people are just hammered.

I'm tried a lot of drugs in my time and I'm been totally hammered on occasion. If I had some ketemine I wouldn't be wasting it on some randomers drink.

Having a cursory glance

Shes a small girl but well able for her drink and after only 3 drinks

small girl drinking three pints- I'm a lad and I'd be drunk after two.
    But loss of limb control, amnesia and generally being out of it is what ketamine does

Well I've had Ketamine and I've not experienced those sympthoms on it. There is one drug I've tried that sounds like that though, alcohol.
    Yes, but it may have been one of those weird red bull reactions

especially when you mix it with VODKA
    Happened at a ball I was at. Put my wine down

And I'm sure one doesn't drink at a ball at all.

I think people need to examine their own drinking habis and relationships with alcohol rather than blaming the mysterious boogeyman "spike"

I'm not saying it doesn't happen but large quantities of alcohol makes one sick, fall down and not remember things- who knew?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_poisoning

^^ worth a read. Might sound familiar to some people here

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭fits

SetantaL wrote: »
    I have a suspicion that people tend to get really trolled and then blame being plastered on their drink being spiked- walk around the end of grafton street when the trinity ball is on - they can't all be drinking spiked drinks.

It's even more telling that people are drinking vodka, wine and other drinks with high alcohol contents that can HIT you on an empty stomach/fatigue etc.

I would guess the actual incidence's of people having their drinks spiked is very very low and people are just hammered.
    I'd tend to agree with you. I dont think it happens that often either.
    I'm tried a lot of drugs in my time and I'm been totally hammered on occasion. If I had some ketemine I wouldn't be wasting it on some randomers drink.
    You could perhaps get hammered and mix up your drinks though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

kmick wrote: »
    Ketamine (Special K) is a horse tranquiliser used by vets and GHB (often called liquid mdma incorrectly) is a general anesthetic. Both are fairly widely available and the effects are similar to what was described. Both are very dangerous when taken with alchohol so your friends should have taken you to hospital in all cases bar none.

GHB is also a research chemical, available in a lot of household cleaners and can be purchased with a degree of ease over the internet.

People seem to confuse it with Liquid MDMA as it can be taken to fairly similar effect.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

:rolleyes: @ entire thread

You'll forgive me for being sceptical, but having had several experiences of female friends claiming they were spiked - even engaging in mutual reinforcement of this bizarre little fantasy the next day ("we definitely didn't drink that much") - when actually I was with them all night and saw them get completely blotto on double vodkas, comments like the ones in this thread really make me laugh.

I'm going to make a bold prediction here: If 100 women reply to this thread saying their drink was spiked or tampered with in any way, probably around 10 of them will be correct.

That's still 10 too many, but methinks it's not as widespread as some girls would have you believe.

I suppose it's good in a way that there's this level of paranoia about it though, it at least demonstrates that people are aware of the danger.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

@ entire thread

You'll forgive me for being sceptical, but having had several experiences of female friends claiming they were spiked - even engaging in mutual reinforcement of this bizarre little fantasy the next day ("we definitely didn't drink that much") - when actually I was with them all night and saw them get completely blotto on double vodkas, comments like the ones in this thread really make me laugh.

I used to think like that, I always assumed when people said they were spiked it was just a case of too much alcohol and being embarassed. However my attitude to that changed due to my own experience.

There is one incedent and one incedent only where I think I was spiked and as much as it is easy to say 'oh-but-she-just-had-too-to-drink' I see a difference in what happened to me that night and any other drunk night through how I reacted.

I went to a ball a few months ago, and suffered a black out during it. I came home and threw up my wreck for 5 hours. I was so out of it that I didn't pay the taxi driver and my friend who put me in the taxi didn't pay the taxi either, he just let me out of the car evidently. The next morning my mother asked me was I spiked. I said no, I had just drunk 6-10 double vodkas with only the smallest dash of lime in them, had had no food, and drank a bottle of cheap bubbly. I was wretched for 3 days afterwards, but I'm pretty sure thats because basically had vodka running in my veins.

It was horrible, and not paying the taxi driver was a little odd, but my behaviour wasn't all that out of character despite the whole amount of alcohol. I cried a lot (I've been known to do this on occassion) and I was a bit wobbly in my high heels but nothing weird for me. (drinking that much alcohol is weird for me btw)

The night I think I was spiked, I got abusive (which never happens). I lost all use of my limbs. I have no idea how long I sat in Trinity on my own that night. I have a brief recollection of trying to remember how to walk, and deciding that I was going to do it and go home. I can't remember getting home. Even in my worst states I always remember getting home. Always, evening mid-puking binge, I register that I am in my house. I had none of that. I didn't throw up. I didn't cry (not that I know of anyway). I rang the girls the next day and they said it was the worst next hangover that they had ever had too. And the thing is, we had all be to an italien for dinner and had had big heaps of pasta and this was our one cocktail. No little girls, with empty tummies and too much booze. And it would have been way easier if it was just that.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

I'm certain my drink was spiked, I've been extremely drunk numerous times before and after my incident but none of them have even close to what I experienced that night, plus the fact I had a grand total of 1 pint the night it happened.
    As for people not wasting drugs on other people, some people are sick and get a kick out of it, or drinks could be mixed up.
    Also for what you experienced on Ketamine SetantaL, everyone is different, every dosage effects individuals different and noone can predict exactly what someone else will experience.

The night I think I was spiked, I got abusive (which never happens). I lost all use of my limbs. I have no idea how long I sat in Trinity on my own that night. I have a brief recollection of trying to remember how to walk, and deciding that I was going to do it and go home. I can't remember getting home. Even in my worst states I always remember getting home. Always, evening mid-puking binge, I register that I am in my house. I had none of that. I didn't throw up.

How do you know? you don't remember apparaently

I didn't cry (not that I know of anyway). I rang the girls the next day and they said it was the worst next hangover that they had ever had too. And the thing is, we had all be to an italien for dinner and had had big heaps of pasta and this was our one cocktail. No little girls, with empty tummies and too much booze. And it would have been way easier if it was just that.

So you went for pasta for dinner, had cocktails (mixed drink) and went to Trinity where you um.....drank water?

And! All your friends drinks were spiked too? The same girls that had one cocktail for dinner too and went to Trinity and drank........water?

I've highlighted the above passages in bold for you. As for everyone else being sick- maybe you had some dodgy Italian and washed it down with copious amounts of alcohol. If you are ringing your mates the next day and having a girly chat about hangovers you're drink was certainly not spiked.

If it was

You would not be able to get home, you'd be in an incoherient puddle on the floor and you certainly wouldn't remember your address for the cabbie that most likely took you home.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

I'd have to agree with setantaL on this...many of these instances could be down to drinking too much and/or mixing drinks.

I've only had two black outs, with the first being where I had a few pints of beer and later had a few glasses of white wine. After drinking the wine, I blacked out and found myself in a different pub, with a 2 hour gap unaccounted for.

Second time, it was a work night out and again I foolishy mixed every sort of a drink. Started at 2.00pm and had WKD, different beers, cocktails, wine...by 7.00pm, I was present in body during the meal, but not in spirit, (though I did eat). I came to shortly after.

Having no memory of who I was talking to, or what I was doing is scary but that was down to my own fault at mixing drinks/drinking too much.

As for people not wasting drugs on other people, some people are sick and get a kick out of it, or drinks could be mixed up.

Also for what you experienced on Alcohol SetantaL, everyone is different, every dosage effects individuals different and noone can predict exactly what someone else will experience.

I've replaced the above work to make it more relevant to this debate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Have you ever had your drink spiked, with extra alcohol or something of a chemical nature ?

Over the last year it has happened to two of my friends on a night out when I was there.
    One of them doesn't drink alcohol at all so we knew right away,
    the other had only 2 and half glasses of wine but we figured it out quickly,
    both times it was chemical and it happened recently to another friend as well.

Then there was the lad who bought one of my friends a vodak and coke and it was a tripple she wasn't impressed at all.

I would say one of the reasons it is under reported it due to the fact rohypnol causes aminsea.

There are those who will say that it's a lot of nonsense and this doesn't happen and where are the official figures, but those required people, mostly women reporting this when it happens and most don't due to aminesa or embarrassment or wishing it never happened. Given the under reporting of rape and sexual assulat in this country I don't find that surprising at all.

So ladies have you or your friends ever had your drinks spiked with chemicals or extra alcohol ?

I've not had a drink spiked, nor that I am aware been in the company of one who has - though I have seen the symptoms usually attributed to spiking when too much or mixed alcohol is consumed.

I am not saying it doesn't happen, but to say it is under reported with nothing to back it up is disingenuous. I mean, nobody reports it because they don't remember? You can only say it happened if you can show it happened.

Having said that, I take the risk seriously enough to warn my partner to take care when out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

especially when you mix it with VODKA

And especially as I only had about 1.5 of them and I never experienced a reaction like that before, even when actually drunk on vodka?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

So you went for pasta for dinner, had cocktails (mixed drink) and went to Trinity where you um.....drank water?

And! All your friends drinks were spiked too? The same girls that had one cocktail for dinner too and went to Trinity and drank........water?

I've highlighted the above passages in bold for you. As for everyone else being sick- maybe you had some dodgy Italian and washed it down with copious amounts of alcohol. If you are ringing your mates the next day and having a girly chat about hangovers you're drink was certainly not spiked.

If it was

You would not be able to get home, you'd be in an incoherient puddle on the floor and you certainly wouldn't remember your address for the cabbie that most likely took you home.

First, I didn't get sick the night I think I was spiked. No throwing up. The night that I wasn't spiked- the very drunk ball, I had no food and did get sick.

Secondly the night I may have been spiked, I had one drink that night. I met my then boyfriend in Trinity and sat on a bench. It was the summer time, the Pav isn't open. I was meeting him before he had to get his DART home, no big follow up night out. Holding hands and apperently one rather horrble conversation that I dont remember. So no I didn't have water to drink. I had nothing more to drink. My friends went home earlier. I have no idea how I got home. I assume I got the bus. I woke up in my bed the next day.

Thirdly. The incohernet drunk puddle night in the cabbie is a night where I admit that I was drunk and not spiked despite having been asked if I was spiked or thought that I might have been. Had you taken slightly more time to read it you may have noticed that I was merely providing an example of when I did drink to a point of huge excess. And I knew my address when I got in the cab that night (the one at the ball). I blacked out on the Sitllorgan road when the taxi stopped to let me be sick. As I've already said I think I got the bus the other night.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

I've replaced the above work to make it more relevant to this debate

No point at all, you know what comment of yours I was addressing.
    Theres a significant different in being able to monitor and control the effects of a regularly available drug that a lot of adults use regularly and have experience of their own rections with, rather then an animal/human anesthetic.
    What YOU may or may not have experienced illicting using the drug is moot, maybe you use a regular dose that you're used to, maybe you've used the drug so regularly you've a high tolerence for it.

Alcohol can have awful effects on people, but there are genuine cases of spiking that go unreported, the response you had is one I came up against because of my ex and is one of the reasons I didn't follow it up.
    Hopefully threads like these will make people more vigilant in general, but god forbid it happens to someone reading this and instead of second guessing herself she goes and gets looked at, well then thats great.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

How does one go about testing for such substances? Doctor/bloodtest/analysis/result? Cause instruments like mass spectrometers can be very sensitive in picking up trace chemicals...they're used in drug testing athletes often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

I was spiked a few years ago. Boyfriend at the time realised it when I wandered off out the door, my knees buckling underneath me. He found me rolling in the grass on the pier, I was very lucky I didnt fall into the tide. Was completely delirious and talking all sorts of rubbish, and my body was completely limp like a rag doll. He bundled me into the back of his van and took me home. I woke up late the following day not remebering a thing, unitl he filled me in.

My last memory is looking at my watch around half eleven and feeling very woozy. I had only had one drink at that stage as we had come out late.

I have my suspicions as to who it was, but hey, its not like you can ever prove it. I was just so luvky that the guy i was with at the time was there with me and noticed my odd behaviour. He knew there was something wrong becuase I couldn't stand...I can go on a 36 hour bender and I cna still stand, so he knew all was not right with me.

Like a previous poster, I didnt go to the Doctor the following day(new years day) and waited until the day after. At that stage the detection window had pretty much elapsed, but the GP was fairly sure, based upon the description of my symptoms etc that it was ketamine spiking.

I never remembered anything from that night. Really bizarre. Has made me very careful about my drink since!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭nomorebadtown

sorry to be cynical but...

I dont buy a lot of this thread...anyone that gets Ketamine is not gonna fling it into some randomers drink, they are going to do it themselves! Deadly buzz altogether, let me tell you (and where are these rapists getting all this K i'd like to know, a lot of dodgey vets out there?) And as for spiking pints with double vodkas :rolleyes: if you cant taste a double vodka or pure alcohol in a pint of lager, you are clearly already completely hammered. I have known some dodgey creeps in my time but have never come across any of these 'spikers'...whats the point in it? every night of the week there are men plying girls with alcohol and they end up going back and doing the regrettable....not a spike in sight. I'm not saying it dosnt happen but the amount of women who say they have been spiked....its just not possible, i would say that the vast majority have simpley had a bad reaction to the alcohol (happens to me sometimes - i get stupidly caned in comparison to the quantity i have consumed), or they are coming down with somethin or havnt eaten or are stressed or whatever so the booze just knocks them for six. Dosnt matter how well you usually handle your drink, its not always an exact science and it can effect you differently on different days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

How does one go about testing for such substances? Doctor/bloodtest/analysis/result?

Pretty much you have to go to the dr and request it be done.
    Cause instruments like mass spectrometers can be very sensitive in picking up trace chemicals...they're used in drug testing athletes often.

There are plenty of drugs that have a very short half life in the body.

No point at all, you know what comment of yours I was addressing.
    Theres a significant different in being able to monitor and control the effects of a regularly available drug that a lot of adults use regularly and have experience of their own rections with, rather then an animal/human anesthetic.
    What YOU may or may not have experienced illicting using the drug is moot, maybe you use a regular dose that you're used to, maybe you've used the drug so regularly you've a high tolerence for it.

Alcohol can have awful effects on people, but there are genuine cases of spiking that go unreported, the response you had is one I came up against because of my ex and is one of the reasons I didn't follow it up.
    Hopefully threads like these will make people more vigilant in general, but god forbid it happens to someone reading this and instead of second guessing herself she goes and gets looked at, well then thats great.

I'd agree with this, but the whole point of monitoring and controlling a legal drink is hitting the nail on the head here. Whoose responsibility is it to monitor and control your alcohol intake....... your own.

When people abuse alcohol and suffer side effects the most likely effect is that the side effect is caused by their own abuse of alcohol. I find this line of logical approach more agreeable that that men are prowling the nightclubs of Ireland dousing people's drinks with animal tranquiliser.

I have lots of female friends that don't drink, as they are into sports. They have actice social lives, are fit young women and don't seem to have had their drinks spiked. Amazing how these spikers seem to target the ladies drinking red bull and vodka and cocktails with uncanny precision.

The danger I would have with the thread and the over-whelming theme coming through is that young ladies who get trollied on the weekend and black out/throw up and have other horrible experiences don't realise that alcohol is a dangerous dangerous drug and treat it with respect. They blame some mystery man for spiking it instead of laying the blame at their own feet for drinking too damn much, too damn fast. But no, it couldn't be their fault, sure they're used to drink, being drunk and are immune to alcohol in general. Ich don't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭fits

Well I've had Ketamine and I've not experienced those sympthoms on it. There is one drug I've tried that sounds like that though, alcohol.

I meant to specify ketamine in large amounts. It definitely does cause loss of limb control, amnesia and messiness. Ever seen anyone crawling around in a k hole and forgetting whos in the room with them?

I agree with the posters who say that a lot of it is too much alcohol consumption, but I dont doubt that spiking does happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Once when I was 22 I could have sworn my drink was spiked due to being so ill the next day that my mates were thinking of calling an ambulance. I realise now it was more than likely to do with the wine, cider, Bacardi Breezers, Smirnoff Ices, cocktails I drank and doob I smoked...

No ambulance was necessary as someone found a pack of Motillium...

• Advertisement

I find it insulting that you are insinuating I blame someone for spiking my drink, when in actual fact I can't handle it.

I have been drinking for nearly 12 years and out of those years, only a few times have I been completly intoxicated to the point that I can barely form a sentance. On those particular occasions (and I might add, were in the earlier years of my drinking experiences) the blame fell solidly in my direction.

I never said my drink was or wasn't spiked, I believe my reaction may have been to the Red Bull, and not the Vodka, as you so kindly suggested. I am aware we can sometimes get inebriated quite quickly, depending on out metabolism and blood sugar levels, etc. But I have never experienced what I have that time I was motionless in the toilets, especially after only 1 and a 1/2 drinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

anyone who spikes someone elses drink is just pure scum.......
    thats my 2 cents worth....

Windsock,

Those comments were aimed in the direction of generality and not specifically at you so less of the personal stigmata.

I have no idea what happened in individual cases nor do I claim that people do not have their drinks spiked but it is certainly not in the ratio suggested.

I find it a dubious co-incidence that people claiming to have their drink spiked also play down the fact that the consumption of alcohol had nothing to do with it, especially the example of a small girl having three drinks. If she's you're average girls that's most likely three vodkas- any small girl would be hammered after that!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

I find it odd that because some people would take drugs themselves if they got their hands on them that they assume everyone else would? Has it occurred to you that they got the drugs so they could use it to get some girl home. Maybe they aren't recreational users themselves and this was what they wanted out of it? I think its a bit low to say that most girls are just drunk because you would take the drugs yourself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

If you want a big debate then fine off you go to humanities imho,
    this thread was set up for people to share their own subjective and personal expereiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭litup

And as for spiking pints with double vodkas :rolleyes: if you cant taste a double vodka or pure alcohol in a pint of lager, you are clearly already completely hammered.

I have no idea what these guys motivation was, if they were just chancing their arm or thought it was funny or what. I just know they ordered it.

I agree people may cry 'spiked' too easily. When I was spiked I didn't want to tell anyone because I didn't want to be seen as one of those girls that gets locked and all of sudden thinks they were spiked, as I said, I had been drinking that night. I think this may lead to some under-reporting of incidents.

In hindsight, having taken recreational drugs (I didn't at the time) what I remember of the experience, how I was described as acting and how I felt the next day was much more like drugs than alcohol and so I'm pretty sure there was something other than alcohol in my drink.

Windsock,

Those comments were aimed in the direction of generality and not specifically at you so less of the personal stigmata.

My hands weren't bleeding but my ears were burning, as you quoted part of my post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭hawkwing

I always drink other people's slops at the end of the night when the bar has closed, you never know what you are drinking but i've never got sick or anything after it. Always feel disgusted the next day though wondering what may have been in the glass or worse who was drinking from it but at the time it makes sense..:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

I have a recent experience i'll share. At a city centre bar under a hotel my female friend went up to bar and order two gin and tonics and two pints. This was about 8 o clock. Brought the pints back to the table first then went back and collected the g&ts. They were for me and her bf. Pints were for herself and another girl. We were at a function straight after mass so i hadn't been drinking and there was food. Noticed my drink looked really blue and said it to her bf, his was the same and he said its prob just the dodgey lighting. The place wasn't busy and we knew almost everyone in the room. At the end of it my head was spinning so i switched to 7 up. Remember talking to one of her friends and nothing else. The next thing i remember is being sick as a dog in a laneway near my house and it was 5 am. No idea what happened or how i got home. I would never go down lanes when i was drunk or it was dark and where i get the taxi to i would have no need to. Spoke to my friend the next day and she said i'd left after a second 7 up mumbling gibberish. Her bf had started getting sick so she said she hadn't paid too much attention to me. The next few days were agony and her bf experienced almost the exact same thing. I went to the doctor to get tested when i could leave the house but it was about 4 days later. From my recollection he said it sounded like rohynol but i'd passed the checking window and to be careful in future.

When i was younger i was on my lc holiday in crete. On our first night a girl(lets call her laura) in our group who i didn't know went a bit crazy and didn't know where she was. I said we should probably take her home but the others wanted to stay. Saw her kissing a poster and decided it was home time. The only girl who did know her had gone off with her bf. Got back to our hotel (3 of us) and the other girl(we'll call her eve) who was drunk went off to the bar, annoyed that i'd spoiled her night. I was trying to get laura to our room and she couldn't walk. A guy next door offered to carry her upstairs and i got her into bed. She started freaking out about where was she and couldn't even remember planning on going away never mind getting on the plane. Then she started hitting and kicking us and everything in sight. I asked the guy to get eve back up and told her we needed to get laura a doctor but she said no way she's only drunk, it will be too expensive and we'll all get in trouble. Then she started puking and i said seriously we're getting a doctor. Went off to a crete medical centre with laura while eve tried to call our other friend. The two of them had a fight about spoilt nights/me being a drama queen/eve being jealous of bf etc. By the time i'd arrived at doctors with laura she'd passed out with vomit still in her mouth. I had to try scoop it out as i was worried she would choke on it (bit gross). Doctor said she'd drunk too much but he didn't listen to anything i said about her symptoms and we'd been out about an hour after dinner. Fair enough she was a bit of a drinker and quite irresponsible with it and the men but i never saw her like that again even though she passed out from being too drunk a few times

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭ali.c

I think so but not 100% sure as I left it too late to get tested. A good few years ago. First of I am not a messy drunk this is the only time I have blacked out and been unable to stand ever. Was out for a few drinks was pretty wrecked so I switched to drinking water for a while. After about an hour or so I started falling around the club, I was unable to stand or talk or do anything. Some friends brought me home anyhow I dont remember anything else everything is heresy from friends. Took me about 3 days or so to come right to myself even the next few days were a bit blurry. Anyhow my then bf didnt believe me and the dr said it was too late to be bothered testing so I just chalked it down to experience and take alot better care of my drinks now (even if it is just water).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement