Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Giving cops the fingers. Anyone hear of anyone ever done?

• 10-09-2008 10:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

Just reading in the UK press yesterday where a guy gave a cop the fingers from a bus, the cop entered the bus and done your man, he denied doing it and persisted that he was only pointing at something. Apparently it is now going to court at a cost of over £5000 which some would regard as a total waste of tax payers money. The force are adamant to pursue the case and state that money is no object when it comes to tackling abuse to the force.

About 10 years ago I was pulled over for giving two cops the fingers from a van on Henry St Limerick, (Unintentionally) I was trying to edge my way out from a parking spot with poor vision when a van came up behind me and beeped the horn aggressively, I just stuck my fingers up without looking not knowing they were cops. Two cops hopped out and read the riot act and went through every nut and bolt on the van and said that I will hear from them about the "obscene gesture". About six months later I got a summonses for no seat belt but never heard about the other thing
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

When I was in school, a guy I knew did the very same thing as the bloke in the UK. Gave a cop the two fingers from a bus and the cop climbed on board and took his details. I don't know what happened after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

Just reading in the UK press yesterday where a guy gave a cop the fingers from a bus, the cop entered the bus and done your man

jesus he rode the fella just cuz he gave him the finger? harsh!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

copeyhagen wrote: »

In soviet Russia, buses ride you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Drift

copeyhagen wrote: »

Well in fairness he gave the cop the finger, the cop was entitled to assume yer man was up the roide!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Where I'm from their existence is not even recognised and most people look straight through them as if they didn't exist so sticking up your fingers at them would only show you noticed them in the first place so why bother at all :/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Nehaxak wrote: »
    Where I'm from their existence is not even recognised and most people look straight through them as if they didn't exist so sticking up your fingers at them would only show you noticed them in the first place so why bother at all :/

Dublin ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

I robbed a cops hat once. Was really drunk on O Connell Street in Limerick, wobbling up home. Passed these cops who to my drunken eyes were good lads so whipped one of their hats and proceeded to run up the road.

Being hammered they caught me fairly easily, took the hat back and left me on my way after one of them recognised me.

Pretty lucky it was a chap that knew me!

Is it true that the cops cant arrest you if they don't have their hat on, as they wouldn't be in full uniform?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Is it true that the cops cant arrest you if they don't have their hat on, as they wouldn't be in full uniform?
    If you give a cop the fingers with out his hat on he can do nothing about it. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

Yes, that is completely true. It makes far too much sense not to be.

• Advertisement

KTRIC wrote: »
    Dublin ?

Well yeah but Ballymun being more specific.

Can't say I condone it but I do at least understand the reasoning why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 358 ✭✭Wood

By that logic, undercover guards can't arrest anyone. Yes they can arrest you. It's just an urban myth.

How many people had drinks taken from them in their youth by gardai only to find last week that they had no powers to do so. I reckon everybody should stick in a claim form for the return of liqour.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Sugar Drunk

god I did this by accident.
    was driving up a road and took what I believed to be the correct lane only to have some fella ram up behind me blaring the horn, flashing the lights etc so I gave him the finger.

Turned out to be an under cover guard in a plain car. He pulled me over and started giving me abuse and asking me 'how dare I be in his lane and gave him the fingers'. So I told him anyone can make a simple mistake (on the paticular road theres two lanes on the roundabout,I took the lane I always do (same one anyone else I know does) but apparently I was 'in his lane'), there was absoloutely no harm done and there was no need what so ever to start acting like an agressive driver and blaring the horn and flashing the lights at me and then to get so upset over my response!

he let me off and got back in car and drove off.. I was shocked! funnily enough I havent given the finger to anyone since.

To be honest though, myself I hated being given the finger by anyone when I was driving. If they were behind me then I'd stop the car and get out to them, regardless of who they were. So I can understand anyone else doing the same thing, cop or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

god I did this by accident.
    was driving up a road and took what I believed to be the correct lane only to have some fella ram up behind me blaring the horn, flashing the lights etc so I gave him the finger.

Turned out to be an under cover guard in a plain car. He pulled me over and started giving me abuse and asking me 'how dare I be in his lane and gave him the fingers'. So I told him anyone can make a simple mistake (on the paticular road theres two lanes on the roundabout,I took the lane I always do (same one anyone else I know does) but apparently I was 'in his lane'), there was absoloutely no harm done and there was no need what so ever to start acting like an agressive driver and blaring the horn and flashing the lights at me and then to get so upset over my response!

he let me off and got back in car and drove off.. I was shocked! funnily enough I havent given the finger to anyone since.

Let me guess, you were in the outside lane but trying to go straight on?

So is it also not true that if a pregnant woman needs to urinate, a the guard has to offer his hat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

So is it also not true that if a pregnant woman needs to urinate, a the guard has to offer his hat

Was that not just in England???

Anyway, I gave 2 guards the fingers once when i was on my bike just on the outskirts of Dundalk. They had a flat tyre and the 2 of them were inspecting it. I gave them the fingers accompanied by my best Nelson from Simpsons impression, "Haaaa-Haaaaa". Called me a cheeky bastard and 1 of them told me he's break my neck when he got me..

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Sugar Drunk

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Let me guess, you were in the outside lane but trying to go straight on?

cant remember exactly I think O was on inside lane trying to go straight but he said it was the wrong one. Im not saying I was not wrong - i know I probably was but I was no where near his car and his reaction was way out of line simple flash of the lights would have been enough. flashing lights, driving up close and beeping horn is being unnecessarily agressive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

Outside the Village on Wexford St one St Patrick's day the large crowd was being moved on by about 4 cops. I did the old stick my nose in the air and started sniffing while asking "Does anyone smell bacon?" One cop took my full pint, poured it down the gutter and kicked me up the arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

If this is real, it's the only way to go...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Zangetsu

I always give the garda the aul flyin V when I see them, granted my hands are in my pockets but it makes me feel good inside :pac:

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Cops aren't all bad.

When I was very young and stupid I stole a hoodie. I was caught by security and legged it!

Anyway I was chased and caught. (can't believe the security guard ran after me)

So the cops were called and a few months later I got a summons.

Anyway the cop never told the judge I legged it and I got off Scot free.

If he told him I legged it I was getting a conviction.

Ps: I never did anything like that before and certainly never since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I know of two incidents where this kind of thing has happened.

Once, my school team were on the way back from a hurling match. We were driving up the N11 in the van and the lads on the back seat were giving the finger to every car in sight. Next thing, one of the cars pulls out a cherry and the siren goes. The van's pulled over and two detectives get in and take the names of the lads down the back. They said stuff along the lines of "you're in big trouble", etc.

When we got back to the school, the lads at the back were marched into the principal's office and were given a bollocking. The Guards never got back to the school or the lads about the incident.

Another night, I was out in Bray. We were standing outside the chipper at the end of the night and a Garda van pulls around the corner. Some lad was standing in the middle of the street so the Garda van beeped at him. He got out of the way and as the van went by, he yelled "****ing pigs". The van stopped, reversed and pulled up beside him. Two Guards hopped out and got right up in his face, threatening him. he apologised and they just drove off.

IMO, when Guards get treated like that, they just want to save face and tried and scare people into not doing it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

If it evident they are police they can arrest you legally. A plain clothes cop can arrest you after showing ID, or even by shouting "The fuzz, stop!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

My friend got a JLO for underage drinking or something. I can't remember. Within a week, he got another one for abuse. Funniest thing ever.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Fringe wrote: »
    My friend got a JLO for underage drinking or something. I can't remember. Within a week, he got another one for abuse. Funniest thing ever.
    Not from where i'm sitting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

I've a friend who gets mouthy with the guardians of the peace when he's had a few drinks. Last week a copper asked him to 'be movin' on now, good lad' and he told him to back to Mayo and push old people around :rolleyes:

He told another culchie copper that 'i hope your farm floods, ya culchie' :pac:

I would NEVER reccomend giving a Garda the fingers. Most of them won't bother with you, and might actually go and fight some crime or something similar, but you meet the odd big man who will pull you up on it. I seen a young lad (and we're talking 12-15) at one of our (St.Pats) matches get pulled out of a stand by a Garda for calling the REF something cheeky. Some of them are very hung up over the manners ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Anyone ever see that video that was doing the rounds on Bebo, of some lad running up behind a Guard, and pushing him into a river, and then legging it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Peleus

They could just put the hat on and then arrest you.
    Anyone ever see that video that was doing the rounds on Bebo, of some lad running up behind a Guard, and pushing him into a river, and then legging it off.

Ye saw that. very funny

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

Peleus wrote: »
    Ye saw that. very funny

Linky please!

I was out one night with group of mates, anyway after kicking out time we were all hanging around and the Guards were walking by and told us to move along as one or two were singing and as they walked by two of the lads started making pig sounds like "snort snort oink oink".

The cop then pulled him up on it and asked him for his name which he duly provided a false name. I then immediately intervened being sober (pulled short straw as designated driver that night) and told the guard that he was telling him a lie and then the guard went to arrest my friend until I literally ate the head of my friend and made him apologise and shake hands to the guard. I knew the guard and when were talking later he said how he could have arrested him but was only doing it for to teach the lad some manners and frighten him.

The guard said they use common sense on the likes of this and finger giving and the idea is to scare sh1tless the individual in the hope of them not doing it again. Guards are generally ok only stay out of their way and they usually do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭RuailleBuaille

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_kJ5m6Bsts
    mumhaabu wrote: »
    Linky please!

The cop then pulled him up on it and asked him for his name which he duly provided a false name. I then immediately intervened being sober (pulled short straw as designated driver that night) and told the guard that he was telling him a lie and then the guard went to arrest my friend.

Jeez with friends like you, who needs Gardai?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

two of the lads started making pig sounds like "snort snort oink oink".

What kind of idiot does that though?

What does a person who gives the fingers to a cop, or implies/calls him a pig, or otherwise insult them, expect the cops to do? What is the expected outcome from acting in such a way?

It's like poking a badger with a stick, if you've got that litte cop-on, you deserve everything you get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

Wood wrote: »
    By that logic, undercover guards can't arrest anyone. Yes they can arrest you. It's just an urban myth.

How many people had drinks taken from them in their youth by gardai only to find last week that they had no powers to do so. I reckon everybody should stick in a claim form for the return of liqour.

They could always take it off underage drinkers and the Dublin general bye laws always allowed them too take open drinks in public.

The new law simple allows them too take unopened cans from adults and makes it a national law instead of a local one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭board om

Jeez with friends like you, who needs Gardai?

+1

I was just thinking the same thing. your friend is just getting a bollixing for lack of manners so then you decide to intervene and 'help him' by ratting him out for giving false details and nearly get him arrested? your a great mate to have around on a night out :rolleyes:. id say your mate loved you for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭fredzer

The cop then pulled him up on it and asked him for his name which he duly provided a false name. I then immediately intervened being sober (pulled short straw as designated driver that night) and told the guard that he was telling him a lie and then the guard went to arrest my friend until I literally ate the head of my friend and made him apologise and shake hands to the guard.

NO NO NO ! Jaysus man what were ya thinking! Take a deep breath and count to 10 next time ya feel like intervening!
    Zangetsu wrote: »
    I always give the garda the aul flyin V when I see them, granted my hands are in my pockets but it makes me feel good inside :pac:

I hear ya, I usually go for the inside jacket pocket when passing by one, some of the looks are hilarious!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

I do it all the time, there are a few speed camera photos with my arm out the window digit extended :)

Sometimes on a Saturday night whenthe thing gets a bit rowdy I have ben knownto vocalise my displeasure at the Police regrds their methodologies.

let them know from the off that they dont scare you, most of em will back down again, some take umbrage at your militancy, remind them that you have a right to free speech/expression, if they still give ya **** then y've got a hardass cop andthe best course of action is to take yer NTA and go to court, this has the efect of pissin em right off ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

the guard went to arrest my friend until I literally ate the head of my friend and made him apologise and shake hands to the guard.
    Why do people say/write literally and still mean figuratively?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

What do you get out of it? Some high fives with your mates afterwards, the reward, or if you are unlucky, end up in court.

Taking the piss out of coppers is just the same as being rude to anyone else. It is called being obnoxious.

Anyone else has these options:

1. Think what a dickhead and ignore/leave.
    2. Sling some **** back.
    3. Attack.

Copper has these options:

1. Think what a dickhead and ignore/leave.
    2. Sling some **** back.
    3. Attack with little repercussions on themselves. Possibly with a stick or a vans worth of mates.
    4. Arrest.

Not smart.

Digging up an old thread but fook it, its funny... Yesterday I drove onto the roundabout to go onto the M50 when a car almost flew into the back of me, he started beeping his horn fairly pissed off that I wasn't doing 40mph onto the roundabout like he was...

I exited onto the M50 and the guy is tailgating the sh!t outa me so I gave him the finger (the one that tells people they are too close)... He pulls up beside me and holds the garda badge out the window before flyin off up the motorway.

This morning the previous registered owner of the car give me a ring saying the garda was looking for me and he gave them my number. This is gonna be funny... The garda I flipped off (americanism ftw) was an off duty junior garda in a civilian car trying to scare me with a phone call and a warning (oh noes), what he doesn't realise is I have his reg details and will be reporting for speeding and dangerous driving.

He're hopin the system works...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Zangetsu wrote: »
    Digging up an old thread but fook it, its funny... Yesterday I drove onto the roundabout to go onto the M50 when a car almost flew into the back of me, he started beeping his horn fairly pissed off that I wasn't doing 40mph onto the roundabout like he was...

I exited onto the M50 and the guy is tailgating the sh!t outa me so I gave him the finger (the one that tells people they are too close)... He pulls up beside me and holds the garda badge out the window before flyin off up the motorway.

This morning the previous registered owner of the car give me a ring saying the garda was looking for me and he gave them my number. This is gonna be funny... The garda I flipped off (americanism ftw) was an off duty junior garda in a civilian car trying to scare me with a phone call and a warning (oh noes), what he doesn't realise is I have his reg details and will be reporting for speeding and dangerous driving.

He're hopin the system works...
    Did he have his hat on at the time he flashed his badge? If he didn't he hasn't a chance of doing you. Tell that in court.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,013 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

stovelid wrote: »
    If this is real, it's the only way to go...

I've seen that in the past. It looks very staged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Varkov

Put half a brick in a long sock and shotput it at his car next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭half pint

Hey just thought I'd throw a story into the mix...

My brother once gave "The fingers" to a gaurd on a night out..He thought nothing of it afterwards untill about three weeks later a summons came through the door. He ended up with a €500 fine and other costs!!

Your saying he gave the garda the finger, his real name and address and PAID a 500 euro fine for "giving the garda the finger".

Sucka!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

half pint wrote: »
    Hey just thought I'd throw a story into the mix...

My brother once gave "The fingers" to a gaurd on a night out..He thought nothing of it afterwards untill about three weeks later a summons came through the door. He ended up with a €500 fine and other costs!!

I'm delighted for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭half pint

Yup he acted exceedingly stupid..

But €500 is a bit much dont you think?

For it to have even gone to court in the first place!! (It was a quiet month all right!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

In fairness if you are going to wear a uniform that says 'stick your fingers up at me' then there is a good likely hood that you are going to get someone sticking their fingers up at you.

Happened to me once, a cop tailgating me bumper to bumper, i gave finder, he demonstrated his power to his wife and kids in the car.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

There's a reason I'll never be a guard, and that's because every stupid cnut in the country thinks it's their god-given right to look down on you or give you cheek in some way, and there's no way I could restrain myself from taking the jaw off some inevitably litigious daddy's boy with three and a half pints of shandy in him who's suddenly the hard-man voice of the people with my baton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Fishyfreak

I do it all the time, there are a few speed camera photos with my arm out the window digit extended :)

Would you not just slow down and avoid penalty points/fine instead of winding down the window and sticking your hand out? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 OMEGA-KNO3

first of all the only cop i'd ever finger would have to have a shaven maven below her

• Advertisement
Advertisement