Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Portlaoise to Belfield - Best/Cheapest Student Fares

• 10-09-2008 10:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭

Posting this for the brother of a friend.
    He's starting in Belfield soon and will be commuting from Portlaoise (mad I think but there ya go), can he get an annual student train fare to Heuston or does he have to buy monthly tickets? will he have to buy a separate monthly dublin bus ticket to get him out to belfield? anyone know the cost of these?
    are there other options from portlaoise? private buses direct to belfield?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭graduate

He's starting in Belfield soon

UCD has had classes since the start of the week, this may be an urgent piece of research.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

I am not familiar AT ALL with this railway line, so at the risk of embarrasing myself in a huge way, here we go. Might be worth getting a monthly ticket to Hazelhatch and then a student monthly short hop which would also cover the bus. Having said that, it could be cheaper to just buy a ticket into heuston and pay for the bus separately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

dereko1969 wrote: »
    Posting this for the brother of a friend.
    He's starting in Belfield soon and will be commuting from Portlaoise (mad I think but there ya go), can he get an annual student train fare to Heuston or does he have to buy monthly tickets? will he have to buy a separate monthly dublin bus ticket to get him out to belfield? anyone know the cost of these?
    are there other options from portlaoise? private buses direct to belfield?

There are no annual student tickets available.

I'm not sure that there are any monthly student season tickets available from Portlaoise to Heuston either - best to ask at Portlaoise station.

There are Student Short Hop tickets that cover all bus and rail services in the Dublin commuter area, but they only cover to/from Hazelhatch.

Bus Éireann sell a student 10 journey ticket from Portlaoise to Dublin for EUR 34.20.

Slieve Bloom Coaches link Portlaoise directly with UCD - which is probably the best option.

Details are at: http://www.slievebloomcoaches.ie/mmp_dub.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dereko1969

thanks for that info, hadn't thought of the portlaoise to hazelhatch option. i found out the prices for the following:
    portlaoise to sydney parade - €184 monthly student ticket
    portlaoise to heuston - €164
    student short hop - €84
    i'll tell him to check out slieve bloom, i thought there was a bus service thanks for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

This might be an option, but the connection is the problem.

http://www.dublincoach.ie/

• Advertisement
Advertisement