Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Top Gear Live

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 MrsGriff

I was working backstage during the show and Just want to clarify a few points.

JC had a sore throat all weekend and had to see a doctor on Sat morning. So his voice was not the best.
    Some parts of the show were scripted but a lot was not, mainly the interaction with the crowd and the TG laps and cool wall, with the red and green cards were real also.

The stunt drivers were Paul Swift precision driving and were the nicest guys you could ever meet. The football matches were not preplanned and everyone involved loved the games, including the drivers.

It was the real "Stig" at the show not just a stunt driver.

The paddock tour was controlled by the RDS not TG. Everyone working in the background thought people were being pushed through and the drivers, mechanics etc. were willing to talk to anyone and answer questions.

There was a lot of hard work invoved in the show and the TG crews were the nicest, most helpful guys ever. It is going to take me a week to recover, but I can't wait to work with them again next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Ronan H

MrsGriff wrote: »
    The paddock tour was controlled by the RDS not TG. Everyone working in the background thought people were being pushed through and the drivers, mechanics etc. were willing to talk to anyone and answer questions.

There was a lot of hard work invoved in the show and the TG crews were the nicest, most helpful guys ever. It is going to take me a week to recover, but I can't wait to work with them again next year.

Thanks +++ for all that information Griff, fair play...

From what you say above it seems that the RDS staff made a total balls of the Paddock Tour and ruined what could have been a far more positive experience for people who took part in the tour. Can you just IMAGINE how much more people would have enjoyed the Paddock Tour if they had a chance to chat to the drivers etc... :mad: Man that bugs me that something could have been so much better were it not for terrible organisation on behalf of the RDS. I'm shocked at that :(. It probably would have changed the whole event for most people. It's such a pity...

Head

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Thanks for the info, MrsGriff.

I didn't even see any drivers there, only the megaphone bearers. It would have been great to chat to them or even throw a few compliments their way. I think that would certainly have made the extra cash for the backstage tour worthwhile. It would've bed great if the four lads were there as well, even just to wave at on the way out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 MrsGriff

Anyone who want to sign Paul's guestbook can visit his website www.paulswift.com

Seriously, his crew were sound and we had a great laugh with them. They
    are amazing drivers. The fun we had with the football matches was great. All the drivers had smiles on their faces during the games and everyone backstage was up front to watch.

For anyone that was there for the last show, I was the one that fell flat on my face putting the skittles out then I gave a bow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Ronan H

For anyone that was there for the last show, I was the one that fell flat on my face putting the skittles out then I gave a bow.

:D I totally saw that! Nice work...

Head

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭tdc

steve06 wrote: »
    I think after all the complaints people should realise 1 thing..... you'll never see a line up of supercars like that in Ireland again! So even if it was badly scripted and the tour was rubbish like people are saying - I think the €100 to see the cars up close is well worth it... think about it, it's the cost of 1 night out!

yeah until next year :pac: if u want to see tons of supercars go to london in the summer. supercars on every corner and when i say supercars i mean enzo, veyron, zonda, koenigsegg, gamballa carrera gt and mansory slr's - 430's, gallardos, murcielagos are two a penny over there and if u think there are too many bentley gt's in dublin....

100 euro just to see the cars up close? no thanks.......

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭NBar

a stunt driver.

From what I saw the paddock tour was not controlled by the RDS staff but by an outside agency,(can name but won't) who had some right thicks working for them and a bit ignorant to people as well, and if you ask any of the people who had trade stands who had dealings with them they will confirm this. The RDS have a very small staff and this crowd are brought in by the organisers/promoters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

I was there on Sunday for the 2pm show. It was obviously going to be as close to the TV show as possible as thats the whole purpose of taking it on the road but it was not worth 100euro. A quick calculation shows that they took in anything from 5 to 6 million in ticket sales over the 4 days. The bit at the end with The Stig was a complete farce. There could have been alot more interaction with the crowd from all three. They certainly didn't move far from the center of the arena during the show I attended and I was dissapointed with that.
    The exhibition afterwards wasn't big enough although I did hear someone saying that it cost 6k for a stand at the event. That I find hard to believe. I know it wasn't meant to be a motor show as such but I thought some of the main dealers would have made more of an effort to be there considering that sales are way down. This was a perfect opportunity for them to sell sell sell. There was a serious effort put in by some exhibitors that were there and fair play to them. I don't think I'd go to it next year if it returned. I rather go to the UK Motor show instead.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,948 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

I was at the 2pm show on Sunday too - I enjoyed it.

Anyway most stuff has been commented on before but did anyone else not find the Shell V-power ad at the start a wee bit pointless?
    Because

a) No shell Garages in Ireland anymore - All Topaz now
    b) Topaz have gotten rid of V-power from any station I know they took over

Pointless advertising - maybe they should have tought about it a wee bit more.
    :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

tdc wrote: »
    yeah until next year :pac: if u want to see tons of supercars go to london in the summer. supercars on every corner and when i say supercars i mean enzo, veyron, zonda, koenigsegg, gamballa carrera gt and mansory slr's - 430's, gallardos, murcielagos are two a penny over there and if u think there are too many bentley gt's in dublin....

100 euro just to see the cars up close? no thanks.......

Sure... I've been to London a good few times and that's not the case! And if it was you could say go to Puerto Banus or go to Monaco, but I'm talking about Ireland and at least 5 of the cars on display were the only ones in the country... will you see them all together again - I doubt it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭madaboutcars

I was there on Friday, and I thought it was fantastic. I was disappointed to see that Sunday's TG on the telly had a fair amount of content the same as TG live tho, like the cool wall. The stunt with the Fiesta STs was class, and I loved the way JC was shown on video trying to destroy a speed (s)camera. I like his idea about shooting people who do less than 100 mph on a motorway as well:D!

Pity Ireland lost the car football, but no matter!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,337 ✭✭✭blackbox

I was at the Sunday morning show with my son.

Apart from being a bit pricey, we found that the overall show was very enjoyable.

The crowds thinned out very quickly at the exhibition, so there was a great opportunity to easily see the supercars.

OK the "paddock" experience wasn't great, largely because it was so cold, but overall it was a great day out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i quite enjoyed it on Saturday (the 2pm show) but the paddock 'tour' was a joke and there were WAY too many people in the exhibition part.

my g/f was speaking to someone with a dealership whi had 3 cars at the event and he said it costhim €40k to be there. not sure how true that is, but it wouldn't surprise me, doesn't look like the punters were the only ones getting ripped off.

does anyone know if the rumour i heard is true, about the UK shows being £30 with access to a full sized motor show afterwards for free, or was someone winding me up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭tdc

Sure... I've been to London a good few times and that's not the case! And if it was you could say go to Puerto Banus or go to Monaco, but I'm talking about Ireland and at least 5 of the cars on display were the only ones in the country... will you see them all together again - I doubt it!

I was in London last summer and it defenitely was the case. Top Gear will be here again next year so we will see more or less the same cars again. When the Veyron was at Phoenix Park I thought it would never be seen in ireland again but there you go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

When the Veyron was at Phoenix Park I thought it would never be seen in ireland again but there you go.

Why not? It belongs to a Dublin businessman who bought it through Cunningham Higgins in 2006 and was also on display at the Galway races last year.

Ok, possibly not the actual car that was at TG, but my point is that there is a Veyron "in residence" in this country.

I was in London last summer and it defenitely was the case. Top Gear will be here again next year so we will see more or less the same cars again. When the Veyron was at Phoenix Park I thought it would never be seen in ireland again but there you go.
    I seriously doubt it... a lot of the exhibitors wont do it next year after this years bad publicity and the cost to advertise. I know someone who was going to do it but pulled the stand because of costs. I also know of a few cars that were suppose to be there but were pulled by the owners because they decided it wasn't worth it.

A lot of the cars were privately owned and were either donated for the weekend or rented from the owner, by the dealer that sold it to them, so these cars probably wont be there again either.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Why not? It belongs to a Dublin businessman who bought it through Cunningham Higgins in 2006 and was also on display at the Galway races last year.

Ok, possibly not the actual car that was at TG, but my point is that there is a Veyron "in residence" in this country.
    I thought that car was taken over to Spain

kbannon wrote: »
    And I thought is was owned by the owner of Cash and Carry Kitchens in cork... there was a lot of rumours about that car! It's never been spotted with a plate on it either, always a garage plate or a Cunningham Higgins branded plate - I wonder was it ever registered in Ireland at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

And I thought is was owned by the owner of Cash and Carry Kitchens in cork... there was a lot of rumours about that car! It's never been spotted with a plate on it either, always a garage plate or a Cunningham Higgins branded plate - I wonder was it ever registered in Ireland at all.

Some say...

I'll get my coat...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

kbannon wrote: »

i thought that was a white one? The one at the show was a kind of navy colour. On their website they advertise their list of 'supercars'. While some of them clearly aren't supercars(opel antara and nissan pathfinder roffles), others weren't even there! They advertised a koenigsegg CC8 S but that definitely wasn't there!

Lotus Exige 220
    Lotus 2-Eleven
    Lotus Elise 111R
    Lotus Europa
    Alfa Romeo Brera Ti
    Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano
    Opel Insignia Elite 1.8 16v
    Opel Antara
    Jaguar XJ 220
    Koenigsegg CC8 S
    Lamborghini Murcielago LP640
    Porsche 997 Turbo 2
    Maserati Gran Turismo 4200 V8
    Bentley Arnage RL Mulliner
    Ford GT
    Mercedes SS500
    Rolls-Royce Phantom Mansory
    Range Rover X Sport Overfinch
    Range Rover R Sport Overfinch
    Jaguar X-Type 2.0d Luxury
    XKR 4.2 V8 Coupe
    C30 Touring Car
    XC60
    V70 Ocean Race
    Range Rover Sport 'Strut' kit
    Bentley Continental GTC
    Bugatti Veyron
    Mercedes C63 AMG V8
    Ariel Atom
    Triumph TR6 (1978)
    Audi R8
    Lexus IS-F
    Gumpert Apollo
    Porsche 997 GT3 Supercup Race Car
    Aston Martin Vanquish S
    Mitsubishi Evolution X
    Aston Martin DBS
    Maserati Quattroporte
    Morgan Aero 8
    TVR Sagaris
    Lamborghini Diablo
    Nissan Pathfinder 'Off Road'

On the webiste it says the show is back 3-6 dec next year

• Advertisement

I think they swapped out the LP640 for a Gallardo and hoped nobody would notice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I see it is on in South Africa next month. Only 23 euro to get in. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

Bond-007 wrote: »
    do ryanair go there????:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

Bond-007 wrote: »

Plus €2000 to fly to South Africa, so at €100 it's still the cheapest way any of us are going to get to see it.

Stop complaining about the price lads, no one was forced to go.

Open a thread in Consumer affairs if you are not happy with the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

ill be there next year ...............
    after all thats been said either negitive or
    positive its still "top gear live" after all :):)
    and i thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it.......

• Registered Users Posts: 11,434 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Victor_M wrote: »
    Plus €2000 to fly to South Africa, so at €100 it's still the cheapest way any of us are going to get to see it.

Stop complaining about the price lads, no one was forced to go.

Open a thread in Consumer affairs if you are not happy with the price.
    €2000 to get to South Africa? It only cost me €800 to go last month....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

fullstop wrote: »
    €2000 to get to South Africa? It only cost me €800 to go last month....

Apologies for that inaccuracy:pac: I trust you got the point though.

I never complained about the price.

A friend called to say he followed a Veyron up the Malahide road today... Grey/blue in colour and on northern plates FBJ***

I guess it might be the same one, still in Ireland, but never registered in the republic!

• Advertisement

Naughty. ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement