Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Top Gear Live

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭tdc

Show is probably starting around now, hope everyone has a great time there, I'm sure it will live up to expectations, can't wait to see some pictures! ;)
    CPG wrote: »
    You said it matey, too many people blow €100+ on booze and other useless toys and crap, but on a night out to see top gear? oooohhh mad need your head examined, blah blah blah blah

Agree, it's not a huge amount of money in the big picture, the only reason I didnt get tickets is because I have to spend my money on my car and paying back loans. Anyway, just saw a bit of coverage on the news and they said that this will become an annual event so there's always next year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

peasant wrote: »
    Maybe wait with condemning the show until it's actually happened?

You know ...see what it's like first? :D
    I dunno, peasant. A friend offered me two free tickets for tonight, but it's easier to condemn it from home.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭tdc

Anan1 wrote: »
    I dunno, peasant. A friend offered me two free tickets for tonight, but it's easier to condemn it from home.;)

I'd be happy to take them off your hands :pac:

EDIT: Just saw "for", must read slower in future!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

tdc wrote: »
    I'd be happy to take them off your hands :pac:

EDIT: Just saw "for", must read slower in future!
    I'd have offered them on here, but the call only came just about in time for me to make it in myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭jabaroon

Lads,

Just back from TopGear live tonight. Am genuinely very disappointed with the event. Was really looking forward and paid for the top of the range tickets including the paddock tour afterward.

The show itself did appear to be quite entertaining and got a good few laughs from the crowd. The actual stunts (etc..etc..) also seemed to be quite good, but it would appear that most of the people in the audience couldn't see most of the show because of the angle of the seating stands. I was approximately 2/3's of the way up (so up high) and for most of the show I could only see the roof's of cars whizzing by.

Then -- because everyone else had difficulty seeing, people were standing up and straining around in their seats to try and get a view. Naturally, this only served to make the situation worse for people.

I'm 6 foot tall, so if I was having a problem, I cant imagine what anyone under 6 foot saw! Maybe the aerials of the cars as opposed to the roofs!

As for the paddock tour at the end?....what a joke. They herded approximately 5000 people into a corridor that varied between 15 foot and 10 foot wide. The first 100 people in assumed positions at the edges of the walkway to look at the cars and take photos. The remainder were just pushed and shoved through the center with the occasional shout from a marshal say "Keep moving there folks please". For the entire length of the room I saw the front bumper of a lambo, NOTHING else! It was crazy. Every second person around me was giving out stink that they had paid for the tour.

When I got to the end of the tour, there was about 15 marshals standing talking to each other?

Complete total and utter waste of money in my opinion. If I could turn back the clock, I would have sold my tickets for whatever I could have gotten for them and watched a topgear re-run on DAVE.

</rant> !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Ronan H

Thanks for the report Jabaroon, sorry to hear that it wasn't what you expected it to be however! Quite disapointing to hear that. It sounds quite bad from what you said, I gotta wonder how they can put on an event that from what you were saying was very badly run! Boo to that, not sure what to expect on Sunday now to be honest... :o

Head

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

Roll on the disspointed reports. This place will be full of them by Monday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

Absolute heap of crap. Show was way shorter than advertised, top gear had no outstanding cars, possibly the nicest was a fiesta or passat :( James May seemed to disappear for half of it and they were all gone for at least a third. Very scripted;. It seemed to run on fire'm 5"9 and found it very difficult to see much, but the guys in front of me were standing every second minute. The paddock tour was f*!king ridiculous. I'm so annoyed about that. After seeing it my only advise is sell your tickets on ebay, i wouldn't go to this show again if it was free

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

:eek::eek:

Does Top Gear attract the right demographic to make Liveline worthy of a listen tomorrow??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

bigkev49 wrote: »
    :eek::eek:

Does Top Gear attract the right demographic to make Liveline worthy of a listen tomorrow??
    yes am sure it does, heading up myself today....
    i hope it doesnt dissapoint :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Going myself tonight - just sent a mail to the PR company running the show to see what the story is. Hopefully it was just first night problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Was there last night too. I was fortunate enough to blag free tickets so I can't rightly complain about value for money, but knowing what they cost I reckon they were €60-70 overpriced. We had decent seats so no complaints about the view.

The "car show" beforehand was poor. It was like a trade show around the sides with little stalls selling all sorts of rubbish, a lot of which Halfords would be embarassed to sell. The cars were basically like a showroom for Sports and Classic, Cunningham Higgins, Gilson Motors etc. Most were for sale, but you had paid money to enter this showroom.

My other gripe was that the ropes and barriers around the cars were too close, so you couldn't get a decent photo of any of them. The timetable also meant that nearly everyone was in each area at the same time so you couldn't try get a photo at a quieter time.

While the show was entertaining enough, most of it was taken up with stunt driving, not by the TG lads. The cool wall and reasonably priced car lap sections were pretty ridiculous and I won't even start on the Stig nonsense at the end. I don't know how scripted it is but Jeremy and James' jingoism didn't seem to go down too well, talking about the show being in a cow shed for example.

Last bit of advice, don't go near the show arena until a few minutes before showtime. We were seated for a good half hour beforehand and bombarded with advertising with the odd TG clip on the big screens. God I hate marketing! Then...THEN! when it looked like the show was starting they wheeled out a big petrol pump and we were treated to what was basically another ad. For Shell.

5000 tickets per show at a minimum of €100 each. Two shows per day from today until Sunday. €3.5 million in ticket sales alone. Whatever the exhibitors paid for space in the tent, and sales of food and drink and merchandising. It's a money making machine. A triumph of marketing over any other value you can think of. TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

such a pity to hear the bad reports, I'll tune in to Joe Duffy today!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

So, its like Toys for Big Boys with a bit of live stuff/action then is it?? Glad i'm not going so.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

Guys

I'm going on Sat for the 2 pm showing. What's the story for queuing up? It says on the ticket that we won't be let in until 1pm. Are you allowed into the car show before the show in the arena or as it says on the ticket we go into the car show after the Arena show.

What’s was the trip there like? I'll be driving from Sligo so I’ll park the car outside Dublin and get the Luais n Dart to the RDS .

• Registered Users Posts: 4 teddyk

Morning all,

To those of you who have already been,
    was there any security checking bags/frisking people on the way in? Would like to bring in my slr camera, but a friend has said that the RDS has had a "no slr" policy for concerts there in the past. Don't want to turn up with my camera and not be allowed in.

Ta.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭DanR

I really hope that the rule that people that are unhappy with things complain most and that some prople out there thought the show was good..!

Heading Sunday and I have been looking forward to this all week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

teddyk wrote: »
    Morning all,

To those of you who have already been,
    was there any security checking bags/frisking people on the way in? Would like to bring in my slr camera, but a friend has said that the RDS has had a "no slr" policy for concerts there in the past. Don't want to turn up with my camera and not be allowed in.

Ta.

You won't have any problem. Security was very lax, they never even took ticket stubs or marked tickets in any way. No bag checks and everybody had cameras.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭thos

Any touts selling tickets outside?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

I havent been myself but one of the lads in the office went last night and said it was great. Yeh he said the seating was dodgy but the show itself was really good! He actually said "spectacular" so anyone going over the next few days still can look forward to it! Am jealous!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

Im going sunday morning .......

Trying not to read this thread :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

Touts were actually asking for tickets! Oh how i wish i'd handed them over!

On ebay a pair went for 350.

Security was lax, except for the paddock area where you had to show your wristband for, and in all honesty i still don't get it, we were just herded through a different exit with a few smart cars and fiestas and other show cars on display.

If anyone is definitely going i would suggest getting very drunk before it. From what i could tell between people who enjoyed it and people who didn't this was a deciding factor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

I couldnt understand why people couldnt see this coming. I find the programme entertaining but I cant believe how innocent people really are with their cash to see what is now reported as a load of rubbish. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I really enjoyed last nights show, but I did get my ticket for free also. 3 rows from the front, I think they normally cost €120. I didn't mind the cow shed comment, because many parts of the RDS are awful. It's a shame we don't have a proper venue in the country. Just read the negative comments and I'd like to add if you are near the front it makes a big difference. I saw everything :D

Did anyone see the girls with the dead tight yellow suits. OMFG :D

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭whatsupdoc?

Did anyone see the girls with the dead tight yellow suits

Waits for pictures ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

Praetorian wrote: »
    It's a shame we don't have a proper venue in the country.

O2 is opening in the next few weeks.

dodgyme wrote: »
    I couldnt understand why people couldnt see this coming. I find the programme entertaining but I cant believe how innocent people really are with their cash to see what is now reported as a load of rubbish. :cool:

Smug self satisfaction anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭mjquinno

balls anyways there 14 of us going tommorrow night. might have a few pints before hand so make it more enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

dodgyme wrote: »

You know, in order to be able to make a "I told you so" post, you're supposed to at least go through the trouble of posting a negative comment before the event takes place.

-10 for effort there ...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

peasant wrote: »
    You know, in order to be able to make a "I told you so" post, you're supposed to at least go through the trouble of posting a negative comment before the event takes place.

-10 for effort there ...

I did

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement