Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Top Gear Live

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Ronan H

ronoc wrote: »
    Smug self satisfaction anyone?

Yes, well noted. There are a few people here getting great satisfaction from the disappointment of others, and I can't understand why :mad:. I wonder how they feel about the thousands of people that have been badly affected by the recession...

Head

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭mjquinno

sure make the best of it anyhows.

feck nothing i can do now already paid for the tickets.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Head wrote: »
    Yes, well noted. There are a few people here getting great satisfaction from the disappointment of others, and I can't understand why :mad:. I wonder how they feel about the thousands of people that have been badly affected by the recession...

Head

I guess that applies to people who thought about going, but reckoned it was well overpriced, and likely to be rubbish, and paid their mortgages/bills instead? ;)

So, information with my ticket says "a premium exhibition featuring a line up of the world's greatest sports cars", which to me says Lamborghini, Porsche, Koeningsegeggegegegegggg etc... Can anyone who has been there clarify if any of these cars are on display? So far all I have heard mentioned is a Fiesta and a Passat, which is worrying...

I am seriously considering giving my ticket away on JumbleTown at this stage. I am thoroughly disgusted with what I have read so far...

Head

Edit: @ Henry Ford: I'm sure there are plenty people who did that, the key point being that they didnt come on here to annoy the people who did pay for tickets... Nice comment though :).

So, information with my ticket says "a premium exhibition featuring a line up of the world's greatest sports cars", which to me says Lamborghini, Porsche, Koeningsegeggegegegegggg etc... Can anyone who has been there clarify if any of these cars are on display? So far all I have heard mentioned is a Fiesta and a Passat, which is worrying...

I am seriously considering giving my ticket away on JumbleTown at this stage. I am thoroughly disgusted with what I have read so far...

Head

I wouldn't worry too much. You always get more people complaining than complimenting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

ronoc wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry too much. You always get more people complaining than complimenting.

That's definitely true.

I still would like to go because there has to be something there worth seeing, it was just the price that put me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

dodgyme wrote: »
    I did

no you didn't (not according to the search function anyway, because i checked :D)

Now, just go away and annoy someone else with your retrospective smugness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

There is a koenigsegg listed but there isn't one on display.

The cars that are on display are cars from showrooms like gilson motors, cunningham higgins, sports and classics etc. There were some decent cars there but you could only walk around them(veyron, brabus slr, xj220, etc) The car exhibition was just like a trade sale, lots of stalls selling rubbish, and some car companies showing what they had.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

LolaDub wrote: »
    There is a koenigsegg listed but there isn't one on display.

Zonda?
    8C?

How bout the Stig? What's his jive?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Curvy Vixen

Right, I went! I was in Block G, Row D so 4 rows from the front....with quite a tall guy in front of me! You have the best seats to see the presenters if you are in Blocks E or F though either way they are beamed onto 2 screeens at the back.

I really enjoyed it...and before anyone points out the obvious in that I'm a girl I was in male company and they also enjoyed it.

Yes the seating could be better...but that's down to the RDS not Top Gear :rolleyes: There are better seats/positions than others as in any other event/venue. We got fab views of some things and not so great of others...but we could still see on the screens!

Some of the stunt driving was very cool...don't want to spoil things so won't go into specifics.

Yeah the cool wall thing and the 'star in a reasonably priced car' could have been better but hey? Did you really expect an exact replica of the show??

Yeah JC made some smart comments...have you actually *seen* the show? Nothing new there!

There are some fab cars there to have a look around before the show though I agree wholeheartedly that the 'paddock tour' was a joke :mad: And you got closer to them than you do in some car shows.

For those that are going, you have your tickets now, don't let the complainers put you off, have a pint and a bite to eat and enjoy the show. Don't expect a replica of Universal Studio type stunts and you won't be disappointed.

And give the Jaguar XJ220 a stroke for me :D

• Advertisement

bigkev49 wrote: »
    Zonda?
    8C?

How bout the Stig? What's his jive?

No zonda, there was an 8c.

The stig was brutal, he came on as the finale for about 10 mins.
    Also the cafe was pretty bad, when i was there they only had sandwiches and the choise was ham salad, ham and cheese, steak wrap or salmon bagel. Probably best to eat before you get there. Hot dogs are outside.

J.C. s comments didn't bother me, it was just crap. As i said the precision driving was good but not much else. It was nowhere near good enough to justify the price. To anybody definitely going, have a few drinks before it and think cheese!-cheese in the extreme

Thanks Curvy and Lola...

What about these from the website?

Top Gear Hall of Fame Stig's Lair Car Stuff Mad Motors Classic & Iconic 4X4 Driving Experience

What's the word with them? Are you likely to get "autographs from the presenters" as stated on the website?

Head

No zonda, there was an 8c.

Also the cafe was pretty bad, when i was there they only had sandwiches and the choise was ham salad, ham and cheese, steak wrap or salmon bagel. Probably best to eat before you get there. Hot dogs are outside.

J.C. s comments didn't bother me, it was just crap. As i said the precision driving was good but not much else. It was nowhere near good enough to justify the price. To anybody definitely going, have a few drinks before it and think cheese!-cheese in the extreme

Lola I know you're trying to help but you could be ruining some of the show for some people...would you not edit your post??

Thanks Curvy and Lola...

Top Gear Hall of Fame Stig's Lair Car Stuff Mad Motors Classic & Iconic 4X4 Driving Experience

Head

All kind of true but let's say they probably have some good, imaginative PR people!
    What's the word with them? Are you likely to get "autographs from the presenters" as stated on the website?

If you can find them :D

I thought as much. There should be laws against false advertising-ish behaviour like that...

Head

Lola I know you're trying to help but you could be ruining some of the show for some people...would you not edit your post??

I can't see anything that could ruin the show from what you've quoted but as it offends you i'll edit show details.

Thanks Curvy and Lola...

Head

Curvy where were all these? Was the paddock supposed to be stigs lair? Don't recall any 4x4 driving experience, most of that doesn't ring a bell with me and i was sober! I'll ask the people i was with and see if they can point out what above mentioned was supposed to be.

No chance to get autographs from presenters, they were gone before the show finished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

peasant wrote: »
    no you didn't (not according to the search function anyway, because i checked :D)

Well something wrong with the search engine then. Perhaps ask your mates in TG to have a look at it? Is it a V8?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Cars:

I'm not enough of an anorak to know everything that was there but...
    8C was there in it's breathtaking beauty.
    Veyron was there.
    Didn't see a Koenigsegg.
    Others I can remember were Porsches inc. a lovely Speedster, a few Ferraris, Ford GT and Mustang, Audi R8, Merc SLR, Aston of some sort, Lambo Diablo, TVR Tuscan, Morgan Aero, Overfinch Range Rovers, Jag XJ220, Gumpert whatsitsname, BMW Isetta, Metro 6R4, Evo x, some Opels, Nissans and Kias (? WTF).

I do think most people will enjoy the thing if they can forget about the cost.

milltown wrote: »

This is a really good point. If it had only been 20 i don't think people would have been as annoyed but there was just this massive ripped off feeling after it. Some people will like it and others won't but they definitely didn't deliver what they advertised.

• Advertisement

If someone could answer these questions I would be very gateful, as would a few others I'm sure:

Is the exhibition open all day long with all the above cars in it?

Can you go in early in the day and mooch around for a few hours before your show starts?

Apart from the obvious negatives listed earlier, what is the purpose of the Paddock Tour, as in, what are you supposed to see there that you can't see elsewhere in the arena? I'm presuming it's something somewhat "exclusive" if only some people got wristbands...

Thanks, I'm nearly finished with the questions ;).

Head

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

All this hysteria about Top Gear unsettles me a bit...

I've been reading Clarkson since his 'Performance Car' days in the late 80s and he was a genuine breath of fresh air back then. Despite being a living, breathing parody I still like him actually and watch the show.

However going by some of the frankly idiotic audience members who sometimes feature on the TV show and by the embarrassingly nerdy fan-boy/girl-ism displayed here regarding the live version I really have my doubts about the people who are into Top Gear these days. It's just become too populist, too low-brow, compelled now because of it's soaring success to stick rigidly to a formula and satisfy the lowest common denominator fairweather fan.

I see people on here quote Clarkson et al all the time (e.g. 'Boxster for those who can't afford a 911'/use of the word 'torques' - AGGGGHHH!) It just makes me cringe:eek::D...

As for the person complaining about spoilers - it's a goofy car show not a film with a 'Crying Game'-like twist...FFS:rolleyes::eek:!!!!

I'll stick with the TV show for the time being but good God it's all becoming ridiculous...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭green123

I couldnt understand why people couldnt see this coming. I find the programme entertaining but I cant believe how innocent people really are with their cash to see what is now reported as a load of rubbish. :cool:
    You know, in order to be able to make a "I told you so" post, you're supposed to at least go through the trouble of posting a negative comment before the event takes place.

-10 for effort there ...
    I did

Well something wrong with the search engine then. Perhaps ask your mates in TG to have a look at it? Is it a V8?

dodgyme
    peasant is right - you did not post in this thread before
    people like you really annoy me.
    why continue to argue when you are in the wrong ?

If someone could answer these questions I would be very gateful, as would a few others I'm sure:

Is the exhibition open all day long with all the above cars in it?

Can you go in early in the day and mooch around for a few hours before your show starts?

Apart from the obvious negatives listed earlier, what is the purpose of the Paddock Tour, as in, what are you supposed to see there that you can't see elsewhere in the arena? I'm presuming it's something somewhat "exclusive" if only some people got wristbands...

Thanks, I'm nearly finished with the questions ;).

Head

Exhibition isn't open all day long from what i know? I was talking to someone working at a stall who said the exhibition wasn't open before todays show only after. I'd ring the rds tbh to see if you or can't. Last night it opened at 5 and show was 7.30.

The paddock tour was the most ridiculous element of it all. You're told to wait in your seats for it then everyone about a 1000 people are herded around the back and out a different door. You walk past the cars from the show, the smarts from football, the dragon car, the fiestas, the ferraris etc and there are a couple more cars from gilson motors i think including a gtr. Nothing exclusive about it at all, most people couldn't see anything as there was too many people in it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Dunno about the two show days but our tickets said it opened at 5pm and the show was at 7.30. A few of the cars I mentioned are in the foyer of the show arena (Diablo, TVR, Evo, Morgan) so you may only get to them on your way in and out of the show. I think the website says two hours after the show to check out the cars on display.

I didn't do the paddock thing but if it's just the cars in the live show then there's much nicer stuff in the other pavillion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭tdc

milltown wrote: »
    Cars:

I'm not enough of an anorak to know everything that was there but...
    8C was there in it's breathtaking beauty.
    Veyron was there.
    Didn't see a Koenigsegg.
    Others I can remember were Porsches inc. a lovely Speedster, a few Ferraris, Ford GT and Mustang, Audi R8, Merc SLR, Aston of some sort, Lambo Diablo, TVR Tuscan, Morgan Aero, Overfinch Range Rovers, Jag XJ220, Gumpert whatsitsname, BMW Isetta, Metro 6R4, Evo x, some Opels, Nissans and Kias (? WTF).

No lambo murcielago?

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭BoardsRanger

Right, I went! I was in Block G, Row D so 4 rows from the front....with quite a tall guy in front of me! You have the best seats to see the presenters if you are in Blocks E or F though either way they are beamed onto 2 screeens at the back.

I really enjoyed it...and before anyone points out the obvious in that I'm a girl I was in male company and they also enjoyed it.

Yes the seating could be better...but that's down to the RDS not Top Gear :rolleyes: There are better seats/positions than others as in any other event/venue. We got fab views of some things and not so great of others...but we could still see on the screens!

Some of the stunt driving was very cool...don't want to spoil things so won't go into specifics.

Yeah the cool wall thing and the 'star in a reasonably priced car' could have been better but hey? Did you really expect an exact replica of the show??

Yeah JC made some smart comments...have you actually *seen* the show? Nothing new there!

There are some fab cars there to have a look around before the show though I agree wholeheartedly that the 'paddock tour' was a joke :mad: And you got closer to them than you do in some car shows.

For those that are going, you have your tickets now, don't let the complainers put you off, have a pint and a bite to eat and enjoy the show. Don't expect a replica of Universal Studio type stunts and you won't be disappointed.

And give the Jaguar XJ220 a stroke for me :D

Glad to hear you enjoyed it. Just wondering, how much time should i allow before the show time (5pm) to views cars etc?

Exhibition isn't open all day long from what i know? I was talking to someone working at a stall who said the exhibition wasn't open before todays show only after. I'd ring the rds tbh to see if you or can't. Last night it opened at 5 and show was 7.30.

The paddock tour was the most ridiculous element of it all. You're told to wait in your seats for it then everyone about a 1000 people are herded around the back and out a different door. You walk past the cars from the show, the smarts from football, the dragon car, the fiestas, the ferraris etc and there are a couple more cars from gilson motors i think including a gtr. Nothing exclusive about it at all, most people couldn't see anything as there was too many people in it

Right, I'll be skipping the Paddock Tour then!

Thanks for your help Lola!

Head

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Here ...have a nice week long holiday from this forum for your efforts

• Advertisement

The people i went with were bored after 20 mins, i'd say an hour is a good amount of time to see the cars bearing in mind you can't get into them and theres quite a crowd so photos are difficult etc

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement