Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Top Gear Live

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,515 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Just a tip! When queing, chose the longest one. Theyll let every in that queue 1st, and when the other 1 fills up, theyl let that 1 through!

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭abakan

The stig!!!!!! was it even him, such a stupid bit of driving at the very end!!!!!

Im another person who thought the show was way overpriced... but the price meets demand and thats what the Irish people were willing to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭whatsupdoc?

a few pics from the opening night here

Best pictures so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

According to Pat kenny last night they have released some more tickets.
    Probably found some more room for some extra seats somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭HJL

I was at the Friday 5pm show, the paddock area was rubbish, just walked by the cars they used in the show, werent even allowed stop to look at them as the stewards were shouting at you to move along, forget how much extra i paid for that but it was a pure waste.

The show itself was very enjoyable though and I found the expo area to be overcrowded and difficult to see some of the cars at times but it was still good and im very glad i went. And im sure anyone who have yet to see it will enjoy it too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

Max_Damage wrote: »
    I found free parking near to the RDS... :D
    we got parking at anglesea road entrance in the rds no hassle.....:):)
    plenty of spaces inside too....:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

What was all that s**t that AA roadwatch was spouting about no car parking being available at the venue?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

Bond-007 wrote: »
    What was all that s**t that AA roadwatch was spouting about no car parking being available at the venue?
    yeah i know... :confused:
    we had no bother anyway.
    came straight outta venue and across road through small entrance gate
    down to carpark past the stable areas to carpark €6 fee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

TheBazman wrote: »
    a weekend in Monaco for €100 ?

Anyway its a bit like saying why would you pay to view an exhibition at an art gallery, why do people pay to go to the theatre... Its entertainment. If it doesnt float your boat thats fine

fair point re; whatever floats yer boat Bazzman, but the thrust of my argument is that its too much cost for what you get and anyone i know who went were not entertained.

btw - if you want to see some real art, the national art gallery has free admission.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭leef23

Was at the show last night and wasn’t impressed even tho i got the tickets free. If i had of paid the money for the tickets i would of been freaked.

If you’re any small or a big person is sitting in front of you, you’ll be stretching all the way through the show to see anything. There were a couple of small kids behind us they were in the very back row and couldn’t see and when they stood up so they could they were told to sit back down. Their mother was very upset about it as she paid €100 for each kid to look at the persons head in front of them.

If you’ve ever been to a car show or bike show you’d have seen some of the stunts and similar driving displays and the cost of those tickets would be €10-€20.

The display area outside after the show was very packed couldn’t really get to see some of the cars. You’d be better of sitting down for a pint or something for a while till the crowds die down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

fair point re; whatever floats yer boat Bazzman, but the thrust of my argument is that its too much cost for what you get and anyone i know who went were not entertained.

btw - if you want to see some real art, the national art gallery has free admission.:D

I dont think anyone would argue that the tickets were cheap and if it was on again next year would I pay €100...no. I suppose my point really is that there was an awful lot of negativity on here saying it was total crap which was putting off a lot of people who had their tickets and had yet to go. I enjoyed the show and while it was not worth €100 euro, I'm glad I went. It;s not everyday you see a Veyron and Gumpert in the flesh.

As for parking - there were quite a few spots on the road around the event last night. There was something about some parking being available last night as Wesley but that it wouldnt be available for the rest of the weekend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭TX123

so i was at the 11a.m show today. i really enoyed it. if you are expecting the same format of the tv show then you won be happy. Of course they do do things which are critical such as the cool wall and star in a reasonably priced car well sorta.

When i read all the negative feedback i was debating wether to go or not. people are just bitter over paying €100 for an hour and a half but yet can easily spend the same amount on a night out drinking ( not speaking for everyone). The exhibition was as expected, amazing cars what more can there be?

On the other hand people may not have enjoyed it due to the seating but luckily i was in block e, 4 rows from the front so that helped.

The only bit which was ridiculous was the paddock tour. or a short €25 walk. (included in price) was silly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭tdc

So to sum up
    • Serious issues with visibilty for the stage show
    • The paddock tour is way too crowded
    • Several of the cars that were supposed to be there are not
    • Full of cheap trade booths
    • No parking
    • People paid 100 Euro for this?

tdc wrote: »
    So to sum up
    • No parking

can i ask, how much was a cup of coffee at it? €6 or something mad like that. Same for a hotdog was it? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭tdc

Best pictures so far.

The only pics so far really.

Anyone have pics of the black 599 or white porsche?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭MSporty

Anyone any tickets they are not using tomorrow for whatever reason?? Looking for 2, sure may aswell go and see what all the fuss is about!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

Just in from the 11 o'clock show now, had a great time, the paddock was crap though. I really enjoyed the show and thought the area with all the stands and cars was cool. When are you ever going to see a Veyron in the flesh again?!

Thought the stunt drivers in the Fiestas were brill and the car football was very good. It was over priced but I had a great day!

tdc wrote: »
    So to sum up
    • No parking

Alternatively
    - Can only speak for myself - I was in row F and the visibilty was fine
    - Didnt pay for or go on the paddock tour so no comment on that
    - I saw most of the cars I expected - Veyron, Gumpert, 599, R8, Ford GT, Maserati, F430 spider, XJ220, Atom, Diablo. Actually the only one I didnt see was the Koeniggsegg.
    - Cheap trade booths didnt bother me cos I didnt go to them
    - I parked 10mins away on the street and walked to it
    - yes €100 is too expensive but its just over one fill of diesel in my car so I'll live
    Other comments
    - The fast food trailers was overpriced but you dont have to eat there. Is it any different to any other event?
    - The theatre show was a real spectacle..fireworks, wall of death etc
    - The theatre show had a drive by of the Gallardo, GT-R, Gran Tourismo which I enjoyed
    - The "Stig" I'd imagine was just one of the stunt drivers
    - Didnt find the exhibition area too crowded - was able to get decent pics

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Old_-_School

How long does the whole show take including paddock?
    If going to the 7:30pm show, what time can I expect to be out?

How long does the whole show take including paddock?
    If going to the 7:30pm show, what time can I expect to be out?

Aim to be in the queue at around 6.45pm - it will look huge but they will open the doors shortly afterwards. Show starts at 7.30 sharp - finished I think around 8.45pm - I didnt go to the paddock but I would imagine that is a 10 min jobby. You can take as long as you like really in the exhibition area where most of the cars are but realistically you'd prob only spend 30 mins there. You'd safely be out of the RDS at 9.20 - 9.30 ish

• Advertisement

Feck its a C-C-C-C-C-C-Cold night for any que-ing and to pay €100 upwards for the privilidge - mad or wha?
    And they say there's a recession?

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Beaucoupfish

How on earth can you justify paying to see Jeremy Clarkson?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭dubscribe

How on earth can you justify paying to see Jeremy Clarkson?

AND it's "look.... don't touch" :(

Mind you - there is something about him...

As for the Hamster - wellllllllllllllllllllllllll;)

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭mcauley

Excellent Pics!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Would the "how could you pay 100 Euro for THAT" - brigade please give it a rest?

It's getting tiresome.

(Plus I banned one poster already for trying to stir it ..the precedence is set, folks :D)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Just got back from today's show.

I liked it but as everyone is saying, it's nearly impossible to get a good view of what's going on.

The James May cough thing seems to be part of the act as he did the exact sane thing thing.
    Jeremy's voice sounded like it was about to go as well (probably on the beer last night!)

The paddock tour wasn't too bad, we ended up at the back of the line and because everyone was nearly gone got a good look at everything which is cool if you can ignore all the stewards trying to usher you out (I did, I nearly turned to one to say I paid my fuppin money and I'm not going till I see everything!). So unless you're at the front of the line, it's worth dawdling so you end up last.

The exhibiton was good, It was nice to see the supercars up close, esp. the Veyron :cool:

And my sympathies to anyone queing for tonights performance, we left about 6 and it was already brass monkeys, there's no heating in the performance either so I hope you're wearing something warm.

Overall, it was expensive for what it was but I still enjoyed it.

Oh, and I lolled at the "Schuhmacher" lookalike on the boyle sports stand.:rolleyes:

731phl.jpg

35jdp2o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Jaeger

Just back from this morning's show - lol at schumacher lookalike. He's damn close to the real thing, except the lack of a german accent :)

Was back in row P. View was about what I expected from row P, but didn't think it was overly hard to see what was going on, especially given the two giant screens showing what/whoever was the focus.

The technical driving (Fiesta STs) was well impressive, as were the bikes in the "lettuce wetter" (May/Clarkson/Hammond's phrase, not mine).

The cool wall was OK, although they only spent a bare minute talking about each car, seemed less than they would've on the show.

The star in a reasonably priced car was a bit cheesy. Our audience got the fastest time (1:36:00) so far, so that brought up an otherwise disinteresting activity.

The car football looked difficult, given the "pitch" was much smaller than the arenas they've done it in on TV. Lol'd at the lads fixing up all the cars out in the paddock afterwards.
    Was NOT at all impressed by the Stig piece near the end. Did that have any relevance to cars? Or reality even? Twas all a bit Mad Max, and thought it was a complete downer to finish on.

Meh...the paddock was annoyingly crowded alright, with the ushers doing the bouncer thing "Alright folks please!", and shooing everyone onwards.

The place after the paddock (the after area place, with the booths) wasn't as bad as ...well everything at Toys for Big Boys, actually bought some stuff there this time. Had to LOL at a couple of the guys demonstrating the 4x4s outside, they didn't do such a good job of selling them. Nomatter anyway as the people who buy them seem to think they need a 4x4 for getting across the wet leaves in their tarmaced driveways.

There were a few more gorgeous cars out here, and some classier looking women too (twas a bit skanky at toys for big boys. Sorry if you're reading this and you're one of the girls from there, maybe it wasn't you that I saw being skanky)

Overall I'd say worth it, the show itself was very entertaining, may return with pics and maybe a vid or two if I get them onto the PC tonight.

Jaeger wrote: »
    and some classier looking women too (twas a bit skanky at toys for big boys. Sorry if you're reading this and you're one of the girls from there, maybe it wasn't you that I saw being skanky)

Awwww, you're a gent!
    to all the skanks out there:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Jaeger wrote: »
    The star in a reasonably priced car was a bit cheesy. Our audience got the fastest time (1:36:00) so far, so that brought up an otherwise disinteresting activity.
    We only got 4th! still better than all the london shows though. :D
    Was NOT at all impressed by the Stig piece near the end. Did that have any relevance to cars? Or reality even? Twas all a bit Mad Max, and thought it was a complete downer to finish on.
    Agree, was a bit naff alright.
    There were a few more gorgeous cars out here, and some classier looking women too (twas a bit skanky at toys for big boys. Sorry if you're reading this and you're one of the girls from there, maybe it wasn't you that I saw being skanky)
    Did you see the 2 girls in the yellow jumpsuits on some alloy wheels stand! jesus wept, I didn't get to see the name of the stand! :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement