Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterproof footwear?

Options
  • 10-09-2008 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭

So what do people recommend?
    Overshoes? Waterproof shoes? Waterproof socks? Plastic bags over runners? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

fletch wrote: »

Depends on how/where you're cycling. If you have clipless pedals and roadbike shoes, sealskinz socks are probable the best choice. If it's for commuting and you want to wear your normal shoes, BBB waterflex overshoes are what I suggest, and use myself

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

It'll be for commuting....leave my shoes in work and just bring in socks every few days. Would your feet not get very sweaty in those seal skin socks? The overshoes look like the best solution as I don't have pedal clips

It'll be for commuting....leave my shoes in work and just bring in socks every few days. Would your feet not get very sweaty in those seal skin socks? The overshoes look like the best solution as I don't have pedal clips

The seal skinz are supposed to be great (I've not personally tried them), they're breathable and waterproof. For commuting, the overshoes are cheap and effective, so that's what I'd go for. Joe Daly's in Dundrum have them, and I'd say most other shops do too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

I've just bought a pair of the Shimano MT90L SPD boots. Very comfy I have to say. 12840.jpg

Grand....might pick these up so...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

I have these and wear them with the same brand SPD shoes. They only work ok, they keep most of the water out but some does get in.

Yesterday for example my shoes were damp and socks wringing. The shoes do dry out quicker alright, as they are less wet, but having a change of socks is a good idea.

How does that compare with the BBB ones Tiny ? Do they keep you completely dry ?

Might go for these instead...seem to get a good review.

Verb wrote: »
    How does that compare with the BBB ones Tiny ? Do they keep you completely dry ?

The only problem I've had, and you have them with all overshoes is of water getting in the top. For example, I used them on Sat morning (very very wet morning), and went through a fairly deep puddle that threw water up over the top, onto my leg warmers that wicked it down to my shoes. Apart from that, I've been dry in them whenever I've worn them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭ruprect

I got "aquashoes" for €5 in lidl. They look like runners and are made from some quickdrying material. Really meant for the beach. Still take a good while to dry. I just wear them with no socks and plastic bags over them from the meat counter in the supermarket, bigger bags can get caught in cogs. I have very thin silicone tube that I tie at my ankle, this keeps the bag in place and stops most of the rain getting in. A shoelace would do but the silicone keeps it taut.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

I use these. Seem to work pretty well, even on the wettest days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Fredo

unionman wrote: »
    I use these. Seem to work pretty well, even on the wettest days.

I have the same. They are great, keep shoes and foot dry and warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Signal_ rabbit

Might go for these instead...seem to get a good review.

I have these and think they are excellent. My feet always stay dry. I wear them in the winter with merino wool socks and my feet are toasty warm and dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

I have a pair of mid-weight SealSkinz socks that I use only for commuting - my commuting shoes are a larger size than my other road shoes which is about the only reason they can take these socks. I rely on them for warmth mainly, as cycling shoes generally are designed to let air into the shoe which makes winter commuting less fun than it might be. I also wear overshoes for my commute, when the rain is bad, so I haven't really tested how waterproof the SealSkinz really are.

Generally speaking though, I'm not a great fan of waterproof shoes. I've used a few for commuting, and used to use waterproof boots for mountain biking, but in my experience they are never as waterproof as they claim and for those that are the waterproof layer doesn't last very long before water starts to leak in. I find that overshoes are the best bet - most cycling shoes have holes in the soles anyway, to allow cleats to be attached, so water will invariably get in there, but the overshoes keep the wind off (even if they let the water in) so even if your feet get wet they can still remain warm.

Are these the same?
    Endura Road Overshoe - wiggle
    Endura Road Overshoe - chainreactioncycles

The one's on wiggle look shinier and more water resistant...maybe it's just the picture...

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Deisetrek

Are these the same?
    Endura Road Overshoe - wiggle
    Endura Road Overshoe - chainreactioncycles

The one's on wiggle look shinier and more water resistant...maybe it's just the picture...

I have a pair of the Endura road overshoe from Chain reaction cycles , yeah the picture does not do 'em justice , they are "shiny and water-resistant". If you intend ordering though , go for a size up from your normal shoe size 'cause they are tight fitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I too have the BBB Waterflex ones and they are very good indeed if they are a good fit. As Tiny says the only potential issue is with water dripping down the top but even this probably won't happen if the fit is right. Fit is important though; water gets in when I have them over my sandals but really does not at all over my shoes, the shoes will stay completely dry. Even with the water in though they keep your feet warm (as I found out climbing in the Pyrenees last week :D)

I am considering some Sealskins for use with my sandals but I wouldn't use these with shoes- without overshoes the shoes will still get soaked even if your feet stay dry. A combination could be good if you find water leaking in.

blorg wrote: »
    I am considering some Sealskins for use with my sandals but I wouldn't use these with shoes- without overshoes the shoes will still get soaked even if your feet stay dry. A combination could be good if you find water leaking in.

Socks and sandals is only allowed if you're a Franciscan monk mate!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Here, no one told me that overshoes were seriously not cool. After putting mine on, arriving at a friends house and having them fall on the ground laughing at the clog like style, I felt betrayed by boards.ie

Decent: yes. Cool: no.

Luckily no one is looking at anyone in the pissing rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

Yeah they're not very flattering at all.

Aquinas73 wrote: »
    Yeah they're not very flattering at all.
    They're not? Damn I was hoping these would double up as shoe protectors for when I go out on a Saturday night and beer gets spilled all over the place...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

They're not? Damn I was hoping these would double up as shoe protectors for when I go out on a Saturday night and beer gets spilled all over the place...

That's only my opinion. By all means you should give it a go, if you do pull and you're asked have you got protection you can always point at your feet.;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,379 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

another option from a long time ago
    socks
    plastic bag over socks
    old pair of runners that you don't mind being destroyed

this way the plastic bags don't rip
    your feet do get very cold
    or a second pair of socks over the plastic bags to hide them and tuck your leggings into

would gortex socks work ??

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Redjeep!

I've never understood the fixation that cycling shoe designers have with ventilation holes. I mean in Ireland do we really need them ?

After last Sundays torrential rain I was thinking about fastening my cleats to the sole of my wellies with some self tapping screws....or would that would be too culchie?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

The ventilation holes are there to let the water out of course. Ever tried cycling with water sloshing around your shoes?
    But in reality, do you really think they can cater for such a small customer base for specific shoes, especially a market which has already been provided for with MTB boots etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Just on them, I picked up a pair of medium last week but they are too small to fit my shimano 41 shoes, prob need a large or extra large. Always hard to judge the size needed so you might be better off buying them in a shop.

Advertisement