Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vista hard drive delete

• 10-09-2008 12:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to delete the hd on my dell m1330 but it won't respond to any of the usual commands. Ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

"Trying to delete the hard drive".

What are you trying to do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

I'm trying to wipe all the information off it

Thanks for any help!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Insert the vista disk and use the partition manager to delete the partition, if you want to securely erase the drive, format it with DBan

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

My preference would be to beat the crap out of it office space style but i'll give these a go. It won't respond to format c: etc.

• Advertisement

LolaDub wrote: »
    My preference would be to beat the crap out of it office space style but i'll give these a go. It won't respond to format c: etc.
    Use DBan, I'm sure Vista doesn't have format c: functionality as it no longer supports the FAT32 file system afaik

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

yoyo wrote: »
    Use DBan, I'm sure Vista doesn't have format c: functionality as it no longer supports the FAT32 file system afaik

Nick

You're not supposed to be able to format the system partition while running that system in XP or 2000 either.

You needed to boot from the XP CD, go to repair mode and
    format C: /fs:ntfs

Though I don't know that this is available in Vista.

ressem wrote: »
    You're not supposed to be able to format the system partition while running that system in XP or 2000 either.

You needed to boot from the XP CD, go to repair mode and
    format C: /fs:ntfs

Though I don't know that this is available in Vista.
    I was persuming OP tryed to format it from a dos prompt outside of windows :)

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,961 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

There is no Outside of Windows anymore: the DOS Prompt IS Windows. I havent seen the real DOS Prompt since Windows 95.

You needd to boot the computer from the CD and format the drive while its not in use.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Overheal wrote: »
    There is no Outside of Windows anymore: the DOS Prompt IS Windows. I havent seen the real DOS Prompt since Windows 95.
    Could have sworn I saw one on a window 98 boot disk once,
    You needd to boot the computer from the CD and format the drive while its not in use.
    don't forget if you want to remove data you need a minimum of a long format. A quick format lasting only a few minutes only scrubs the index of the files on the drive, the files would still be recoverable with something like photorec.

dban , or check which brand of HDD you have as some manufacturers have a utility that will issue an lower lever erase

• Advertisement
Advertisement