Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterstones and their Sony Readers

Options
  • 10-09-2008 12:25pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭

I pre-ordered a Sony Reader from a Waterstones store a week ago. The price was 250 Euro.
    Its now a week later and there is no sign of my item coming in.
    I'm calling daily into the store to see where is my item and all the manager can do is say "I have no idea where they are or when they will appear!".

Hell of a way to run a business!

I tried looking at the Waterstones website but they DELIBERATELY are illusive as to providing the necessary info on how to contact them direct on the phone to speak to someone above store manager level in Ireland and England. :mad::mad::mad:

To say I am pissed off is an understatement. I am starting to read on other websites that I am not the only one in this situation.
    Waterstones made a big song and dance abut these items going on sale and advertise them on their site - yet they still are not phyically providing them.

Anyone know what the hell is going on?
    Anyone know an address in Ireland or number that can be used to find out what the frak is going on???

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Chatted to someone today that actually seemd to know what was going on.
    They show me a letter from head office stating that they (the store I was in) would get their pre-ordered stock by the first of this month.
    They didn't even get that!
    The word so far even for their own basic stock is this weekend (again)!
    I and others wait in hope...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Just order it online, less hassle, cheaper.

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    Just order it online, less hassle, cheaper.

I thought about that but there was little fluctuation of the price except on Ebay etc.
    For something as complex tech-wise, at 250+ Euro, I'd rather buy it from a person or face that I can go directly back to if there is future problems.
    Not just be left sending it to a faceless person or company, an unknown voice at the other end of a phone line, etc.

At least by ordering it in the shop, if anything goes wrong, I have a person to bark at directly in future - if and when it turns up!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The Sony Centres do these as well do they not? You could go there.

Stekelly wrote: »
    The Sony Centres do these as well do they not? You could go there.

They do but they are even dearer there. They had one on display but due to them not able to get their hands on theirs either, they had to take it off display!
    I would also have to try and get my money back from Waterstones first too.
    I'll grit my teeth, stick with Waterstones for the moment and hope for the best.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 AnneO'Donovan

'At least by ordering it in the shop, if anything goes wrong, I have a person to bark at directly in future - if and when it turns up!'

maybe if you didn't consider barking at folks to be a means of communictaion you would find out information a little quicker...just a thought...

'At least by ordering it in the shop, if anything goes wrong, I have a person to bark at directly in future - if and when it turns up!'

maybe if you didn't consider barking at folks to be a means of communictaion you would find out information a little quicker...just a thought...

LOL That would only be as a last resort - and I'd never really "bark" at anyone - gets no none nowhere. I only meant that I'd rather be able to face someone direct, etc.
    The Waterstones staff themselves are great about the problem in the shop. They are trying their best to see me sorted. I've already given them praise here on another thread. I've told them a number of times now, I'm really appreciative of their help and in no way hold them directly responsible.
    Its a frak'ed up situation made by headquarters elsewhere. They made a big stink about the release date for them nationwide and then don't have any at all, stock to sell - anywhere! Someone in headquarters somewhere forgot to tell the publicity dept' they hadn't actually got the product - big oops! :rolleyes:
    Whats that saying? Something along the lines of "one hand not knowing what the other is doing..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 AnneO'Donovan

or it could be that the booksellers have piles of sony readers in a basement somewhere and are refusing to be involved in the death of print books. i'm sure there's a link to an underground antisony group here somewhere:)

or it could be that the booksellers have piles of sony readers in a basement somewhere and are refusing to be involved in the death of print books. i'm sure there's a link to an underground antisony group here somewhere:)

LOL I never though of that. We better be careful, we could have conspiracy nuts coming out of the woodwork with that one... lol :D

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

OP - I got one in Xtravision (McCurtain St) today so that may be an option - you could then cancel your order with Waterstones.

• Advertisement

Well they arranged to dig one up and true to the Drogheda staff word, they did. Got one from Dundalk I'm told so going in to collect it. Fingers crossed.

p.s. If you know of a good e-book online seller can you let me know? Waterstones site is not great.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

mobileread.com has a sub-forum dedicated to the Sony, info about stores and downloads.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I'm holding off until the new irex announcement on Monday.

parsi wrote: »
    mobileread.com has a sub-forum dedicated to the Sony, info about stores and downloads.

Thanks for that. thumbs-up.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 23 idlebones

I'm giving up on waiting for it. I've been back into Waterstones and Sony today, and neither have any clue as to when they are going to have them in Stock. Sony have taken their display down, which isn't an encouraging sign. The Iliad is looking a lot more appealing. Least I can buy one....

Well I got one after much, much calling but that was down to the quality of the on the ground staff.
    They were honest and forthright with me. One actully dug one up from another town and had it transported to me.

I wish you luck. They are worth the wait but by god, Waterstones management make you wait...

The poor staff in Waterstones in Drogheda are blue in the face turning people away by the looks of them. Haven't tried xtravision actually: Didn't realise they were supplying them till I read it on here..

idlebones wrote: »
    The poor staff in Waterstones in Drogheda are blue in the face turning people away by the looks of them. Haven't tried xtravision actually: Didn't realise they were supplying them till I read it on here..

They are. (and Xtravision is 50 quid cheaper too!)

I also found a few forums that give you thousands of books for it too (free).
    I'm now on my fourth book since I got it. They are a joy to read from.
    You find yourself flying through the pages. Honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Biggins wrote: »

I also found a few forums that give you thousands of books for it too (free).

Dont be shy with the linky's.:)

Nice! Are they really 50 quid cheaper? Their website quotes 249. Might have to pop down there later and check it out.

• Advertisement

Nice! Are they really 50 quid cheaper? Their website quotes 249. Might have to pop down there later and check it out.

Some stores are selling them at 200 Euro for some reason!
    Good luck hunting.

Got it today in Xtravison in Navan, and it's the dogs whatnots. Very impressed with it!

Got it today in Xtravison in Navan, and it's the dogs whatnots. Very impressed with it!

Me too. Here's a review:
    27wsrxl.jpg

I bought a Sony Reader because I wanted to catch up on all the books I have missed out on for quite a while now. After a bit of trouble actually getting one, I finally did.
    ...and it was worth it.

They are a joy to use. The buttons are designed to be used by right-handed and left handed folk.
    Its light and compact. It takes all types of formats and its dead easy to use.
    One of the nice features is when you switch it off and eventually turn it on again, it goes right to the page you left it at.
    It can play music too by the way!

I have managed to make my way now in three weeks through five books, its that easy to use.
    I have loaded it up with books that I want to read and I know know where they all all.

Its also useful for research. I have many, many manuals on it referring to subjects that concern me.
    Its nice to know that at a moments notice they are all at my finger tips for any immediate help I need at any moment.

It comes supplies with a very nice cover in which it hinges internally on. You get also a cd with 100 free books.
    The free books are mostly classic books but even that is a good start.

If you can get your hands on one - do so. They are worth it if you are into books and/or wish to save a lot of carrying of paper books and manuals, etc.

The only issue I'm having is not with the device itself, but with the eBook library and with Waterstones website. I haven't managed to get the library to connect properly yet (or maybe I'm just using it wrong, I've only been trying it out for an hour so far in fairness) and the Waterstones website is not set up to allow you to search for specific Authors or titles in eBook format only. For instance, I wanted to find anything by JG Ballard and Thomas H Cook, but I can't specify that I want only eBook formats. Right now I'm having a look about to see if I can find a better sourse of books.

The device itself is a joy. I found within 10 minutes I was reading without being aware of it being an eReader. Well worth the wait.

Advertisement