Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny People's attack on the Hemporium

Options
  • 10-09-2008 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭

I have to start this thread by stating that I have never set foot inside the Hemporium, nor have I smoked or taken any of their products and I'm not a drug taker in anyway myself.

But am I alone in being absolutely disgusted by the Kilkenny People's coverage of the business on Kieran Street?

Last week, they gave it front page coverage at the expense of more newsworthy items with claims that harkened to mind US 1950's drug propaganda movies (like Reefer Madness or some such). Ridiculous claims from doctors stating things like 'if mixed with hard drugs these legal drugs could have a terrible effect.' Well, obviously. While they were balanced enough to note that the staff of the Hemporium were 'polite and knowledgeable' the whole article smacked of scaremongering and sensationalism. It was a very blatant attempt to cause trouble and unrest where there hadn't been any. No mentions were made of complaints against the shop or any consumer difficulties, it was all based on effects its products could have.

Journalistic balance might have been restored by perhaps printing a picture of Dunnes Stores off licence and attaching the headline 'People end up in A&E Department because of products consumed here.' Or by acknowledging that hey, mixing drinks might be bad for your health. But of course, the attitudes towards drink and drugs are completely different.

They went one step further today with their editorial comment being to the effect that seeing as people have the freedom to demonstrate outside Whispers, they have the freedom to demonstrate outside the Hemporium, as it could also corrupt our children.

Can anyone tell me who the current editor of the KK People is? Because since Tom Molloy left, there has been an amazing downturn in the quality of 'news' reported in this paper. Over the years I have not had much reason to complain about the People (bar the usual 'ah, not much in it this week') but am I wrong to find this sort of sensationalistic damaging reporting so offensive?

As I said, I wouldn't know my legal drugs from a cup of tea but try as I can, I cannot locate a modicum of news in this reporting. All I can see is an attempt to viciously undermine an innocent business for no other reason than to generate headlines and cause trouble.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

yeah i have to say iwasn't to impressed with it. It can be lethal when mixed with ectasy...im sorry but cant e be lethal on it's own??? or the guards are aware of it's existance??? it's not exactly hidden 3 floors under an old abandoned warehouse with a secret knock and code to get in is it???
    I'm not a drug taker I cant even swallow tablets and I wont be getting anything from the shop, but some of my friends have and the staff told them what effects it would have and what the come down would be like. Seems like a responsible place telling people the good and bad effects it'll have

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

If thats all they have time to write stories on and call front page news perhaps they should run a frontpage story on every pub in Kilkenny on a weekly basis for the rest of the years on the dangers of drink as it affects far far more people on a daly basis then the ****e there ranting about

Quality? The Kilkenny had quality....when? :)

For the record, I've never taken a drug in my life and have never smoked

In the interest of freedom to demonstrate perhaps people should demonstrate outside the Kilkenny People, all is fair apparently :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

The article is on their site.

As for the question about who the editor is, it looks like they don't have a real one right now. Sean Keane is listed as "Acting Editor."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

I wonder if THIS is where they got the idea for the article?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

mick_irl wrote: »
    I wonder if THIS is where they got the idea for the article?
    Im sure they knew about it already. Nosey feckers.
    Theres a new place after opening down in Dean street, another head shop, wait till next weeks 'big issue':rolleyes:
    They shouldn't have attacked the hemporian like that, its just KK people, there old fashioned people with no sense of the new age. I hope they go bankrupt.

• Advertisement

dangerous legal drugs.....i wonder why they dont compare the death toll with alcohol....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Total scaremongering by the uninformed. I hope the Hemp is a great success

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Echelle

I've always suspected Gerry Moran's column was largely Internet "inspired". His column this week proves my suspicions are correct. I googled one of his sentances "If you cry ... you're a wimp. If you don't ... you're an insensitive bastard" and 30 or so entries came up with this exact line and many others he had" written" in the article. Does he get paid to cut and paste? But the most infuriating thing of all is the last paragraph where is is looking for participants to join his "creative writing class". OK, maybe I am over reacting but I bet there are younger, more needy and more creative writers out there who could be given a chance.

Echelle wrote: »
    I've always suspected Gerry Moran's column was largely Internet "inspired". His column this week proves my suspicions are correct. I googled one of his sentances "If you cry ... you're a wimp. If you don't ... you're an insensitive bastard" and 30 or so entries came up with this exact line and many others he had" written" in the article. Does he get paid to cut and paste? But the most infuriating thing of all is the last paragraph where is is looking for participants to join his "creative writing class". OK, maybe I am over reacting but I bet there are younger, more needy and more creative writers out there who could be given a chance.
    You are right thats all they do. Copy and paste. Any car 'reviews' they do are from rsportscars site and they just might insert Ireland instead of usa:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

dangerous legal drugs.....i wonder why they dont compare the death toll with alcohol....

pfft don't be stupid, that would upset there advertisers!

Why is the Kilkenny people comparing laws in other countries to Ireland?
    In America in some states its legal to ride a motorbike without a helmet, in other countries you can get your hands chopped off for stealing...what stupid point are they making? It doesn't matter if its illegal in other countrys its legal in Ireland and the shop can sell what they want as long as its legal!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭djScarey

The Kilkenny People when sprinkled with liquid LSD can prove lethal, man. That's why I stay well away from it.

Cabaal wrote: »
    pfft don't be stupid, that would upset there advertisers!

Why is the Kilkenny people comparing laws in other countries to Ireland?
    In America in some states its legal to ride a motorbike without a helmet, in other countries you can get your hands chopped off for stealing...what stupid point are they making? It doesn't matter if its illegal in other countrys its legal in Ireland and the shop can sell what they want as long as its legal!
    In Montana its legal to drink and shoot your pistol in the air while driving. But you have to wear a seat belt:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭KatCookie

Hmm.. where is this Hemporium shop on kieran street in the other article?
    i walk past the Hamp shop quite regularly, first time there were two guys outside it and they whatever they smoking smelled quite funny.. ....

besides, anyone who reads the Kilkenny People wont be the same people who'd buy things in that shop!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

I suspect the people who'll be frequenting the hemporium and the other shop would've been the sorts who'd be getting their stuff from other sources anyway. Market forces will decided whether these shops survive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Comer Cat

Yes, that was a pretty dumb attack alright. But it is part of a pattern. What on earth has happened to the KP in the last few weeks? The other day there was some sort of moronic editorial about somebody who was rude to the staff in Supermacs. The editor, or acting editor, or whoever it is that runs the KP these days, threatened to name and shame the guy who was rude. He didn't of course. Didn't have the courage. But its like a one man's rambling these days....:mad:

Comer Cat wrote: »
    Yes, that was a pretty dumb attack alright. But it is part of a pattern. What on earth has happened to the KP in the last few weeks? The other day there was some sort of moronic editorial about somebody who was rude to the staff in Supermacs. The editor, or acting editor, or whoever it is that runs the KP these days, threatened to name and shame the guy who was rude. He didn't of course. Didn't have the courage. But its like a one man's rambling these days....:mad:
    if he did he'd get his ass sued so quick he'd have to bring change for a taxy home from court that day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Purry Cat

Comer Cat wrote: »

The acting editor at the moment is Sean Keane - and yes Comer Cat, you've summed him up pretty well!

OHH, we have a purry and a comer cat, everyone stand back. mad feckers!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 JamesStephens

Sure all them Keanes are trading on the family name anyway. John B has a lot to answer for. The country is full of them pontificating. If he wasn't a keane , he'd be far from a newsroom. The people is gone to hell anyway for the last while and morale is very bad in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭jiggajt

Just read the article now and i've noticed something:

"One of these - benzylpiperazine (BZP) - is sold in pill form"

Well its hardly going to be liquid in pill form is it? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭coillcam

Haha just came across this now, Jesus every town seems to be getting one these days. Even back in little ol' Mullingar we have one for the last few months. There was no great fuss over it round here. I think it's another Headshop franchise possibly?

I remember when they banned mushrooms a couple of years ago the hullabaloo was fierce funny. I don't take any drugs but a load of my mates went out of their way to try them just because of media hype. I suppose banning all drink and cigs is on the cards next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭djScarey

Nah. They need the tax take on booze and fags. In fact, they soon may have to legalise everything when the recession bulldozes down State revenue.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Even if everything was legalised tomorrow the KP would continue to write it's stupid editorials.

Dont all newspapers have Editorials..?

anyways, has anyone actually been in the Hemp shop? looks more interesting then the Frame Shop that occupied that space before them!

Anyone see the second head shop in dean st.?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

Plug wrote: »
    Anyone see the second head shop in dean st.?

yeah its just down from where I work. I'm going to be interested to see if both shops are still around in a year or two. thats not because I've anything against them I'm just curious if theres enough of a demand in Kilkenny for them to be both profitable. That said they could be both making millions i've no idea :P

yeah its just down from where I work. I'm going to be interested to see if both shops are still around in a year or two. thats not because I've anything against them I'm just curious if theres enough of a demand in Kilkenny for them to be both profitable. That said they could be both making millions i've no idea :P

What shop? i pass there at least twice a day, often walking and i dont know which shop your talking about! i know the Hemp shop, beside the old Estate agents near the corner, but wheres this new one?

KatCookie wrote: »
    What shop? i pass there at least twice a day, often walking and i dont know which shop your talking about! i know the Hemp shop, beside the old Estate agents near the corner, but wheres this new one?
    Its up from joes chippers on the left, same side of the road.
    Might invest in some drugs tonight actually:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Business must be good for 2 shops

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Or smoking.

I heard on the radio recently that in the UK they are contemplating making it legal for purposes of control. Some guy said that it's a bit silly as it had been proved that drinking and smoking were both more dangerous on a like for like comparison.

Sounds like common sense to me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement