Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny People's attack on the Hemporium

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Business must be good for 2 shops
    Until the government decide to outlaw it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

I'm surprised any head shops have been allowed to open anywhere in Ireland. I've never been in one (yeah, I'm square :rolleyes:) but I assume they sell substances that do roughly the same thing as illegal ones but just haven't made it onto any list yet. And then there's that grey area of growing your own.

Correct, they take advantage of the law. It could be all over at the stroke of a pen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Pablo Discochop

I think the headshops are good. If you have a interest in experiencing drug taking you can legally buy them. Which means you dont have to go to a drug dealer , you don't have to take risks with the Garda for possession. would you prefree your kids dabbling in illegal drugs or the legal ones?

As for that articule - pointless, waste of time, stirring sh!t where its not needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭KatCookie

I wouldnt call it a good thing, some of my friends went to a friends house, mostly just to drink, the host had bought something, (i know it was gotten from the Hemporium just not sure what it was) and because it wasnt illegal, they all tried some stuff and these were the type of people who'd never even touch a cigarette, yet they all got high off it.. Kinda disappointing really
    If that shop wasnt in Kk then they only would have gotten drunk...
    im not sitting on my high horse here, thats just what i see from my point of view...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Which end of Kieran street is this shop?
    Rose Inn street end or Parliament street end?

Just asking like. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Parliament St end.

Ah, I assume following the New Age Crusties would get you there just as quickly :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Insanesomeone

Whether or not the hemporium warrents an attack like the one in the article is almost irrelevant imo. It's different, sells drugs and thus warrents negative attention from for no other reason than to be seen wagging their finger at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

After reading the article it seems to be questioning the sale of BZP and not the shops existance or anything else it sells. The only reason they are questioning this is the inpending ban...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

I think the major problem with the article is the line that says it can be lethal when taken with e.

Now I'm not a scientist but can't e be lethal by itself. Kinda like saying taking rat poison with heroin can damage your health

E can be fatal on it own. It can also be fatal in first time users.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

I see that these are the top five, of which I have not had any involvement at all.

Which have you tried and what are your opinions?

BZP
    A New Zealand import sold under brand names such as EFX, Asylum and Charl-eeze, and which closely mimics the effects of ecstasy. That means rushes, euphoria, hyperactivity and a hangover-style comedown.

Spice Gold
    A smokeable cannabis substitute comprising 14 different herbs, plants and aromatic extracts, including baybean, brava, red clover, rose, Siberian motherwort, marshmallow, rose and honey.

Blue Lotus Flowers
    Looks like the sort of brightly coloured pot-pourri you’d give your granny for Christmas, but smoked or soaked in a glass of water and swilled around the mouth, it produces a mild sedative effect.

Hawaiian Baby Woodrose seeds
    A mild hallucinogen used by South American Indians in religious ceremonies and containing lysergic acid amide, a close relative of LSD.

Liquid Kratom extract
    Grown and commonly used in Thailand, where it’s renowned for its opium-like qualities.

I find it quite amazing that some of those have similar properties to hard illegal substances, but poor old cannabis is getting a hammering still.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Pablo Discochop

KatCookie wrote: »
    I wouldnt call it a good thing, some of my friends went to a friends house, mostly just to drink, the host had bought something, (i know it was gotten from the Hemporium just not sure what it was) and because it wasnt illegal, they all tried some stuff and these were the type of people who'd never even touch a cigarette, yet they all got high off it.. Kinda disappointing really
    If that shop wasnt in Kk then they only would have gotten drunk...
    im not sitting on my high horse here, thats just what i see from my point of view...
    I do see your point. people are going to try drugs anyway, not everyone. So if decide to go to this shop instead of going to a local dealer is that not a good thing?

Tbh, I don't see any difference.

I do see your point. people are going to try drugs anyway, not everyone. So if decide to go to this shop instead of going to a local dealer is that not a good thing?

yes, but its the people who usually WOULDNT go near them are now trying them, thats what gets me.. If those shops didnt exist they wouldnt go near illegal drugs, simply because they are illegal!

I doubt they will be legal for much longer.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

I have heard some of their products are as good as, if not better than their illegal alternatives.

The probably are. That's what makes them dangerous for novices that would not ordinarily touch illegal drugs.

It's an interesting argument. Does having shops like these make people who wouldn't ordinarily do drugs do drugs? Or is it just making them easier to access for the sort of people who would have gone ahead and experimented anyway?

The government can move quickly when it wants to. I remember a couple of years ago they banned magic mushrooms because some guy took them and jumped off a building.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

My friend used to be mad into drugs, but since he got stuff in the shop he says it's better to pay the bit extra so you wont run the risk of getting in legal trouble.

For now that is. :)

The thing is I doubt a Garda would know the difference between their stuff and the illegal stuff, so you could end up down the station.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Bond-007 wrote: »
    For now that is. :)

The thing is I doubt a Garda would know the difference between their stuff and the illegal stuff, so you could end up down the station.
    Your right, my brother got caught a few times and they took that legall stuff off him and sent it up to dublin to be tested. Too much bollox acting.

Firetrap wrote: »
    It's an interesting argument. Does having shops like these make people who wouldn't ordinarily do drugs do drugs?
    Or is it just making them easier to access for the sort of people who would have gone ahead and experimented anyway?

Yeah, thats the point i'm making..
    people who wouldnt normally are trying them..
    and people who are gonna experiment anyways are gonna try the illegal stuff too.. Just to see the difference, of course!

Sorry for missing your post and basically repeating what you were saying. I'm a divil for scanning down through stuff and missing things :o

Ah no, its ok..
    /bangs head against wall..

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭franklyshocked

Firetrap wrote: »
    It's an interesting argument. Does having shops like these make people who wouldn't ordinarily do drugs do drugs? Or is it just making them easier to access for the sort of people who would have gone ahead and experimented anyway?

The government can move quickly when it wants to. I remember a couple of years ago they banned magic mushrooms because some guy took them and jumped off a building.

The week they were pushing through this ban, which had TD's taking the step of working overnight in the Dail, a young lad drank himself into a state and surrounded by his friends, jumped off a boat into the river in Carrick-on-shannon and drowned.
    The ban on Magic mushrooms came into effect before the autopsy and inquest on that guy which showed if memory serves me that he had a large quantity of alcohol consumed and some partially, not fully, digested mushrooms begging the question, what caused him to jump?
    Is alcohol the greater evil.
    But sure its only a few harmless drinks,
    But sure its only a few harmless (Insert Drug)

Its not the drug, its the idiot taking them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

coillcam wrote: »
    Haha just came across this now, Jesus every town seems to be getting one these days.

For God's sake we are in the middle of a Recession and now I have to pay to park my car outside my front door. A guy's got to relax somehow. :D

Seriously if the Hemporium was open in '05 when i did Christmas at Byrne's toy shop I would probably have been on a first name basis with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Doffaldinho

Its not the drug, its the idiot taking them

Exactly, Some people can't handle them and go over the top.

Like I was with a person taking pills before and they went over the top while everyone else was on a nice chatty buzz listening to some tunes having a few drinks this person was lying on the ground trying to imitate the shape of a swastika.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭ECOLOGICAL

all drugs destroy peoples lives and families legal or not ,some can handle them some cannot is rubbish it catches up on everyone eventually some it takes few years others have seen it take up to 15 or twenty years but they end up even worse with epilepsy yes epilepsy and then others get very bad nervous breakdowns chew on that

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement