Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Reg on display on the net

Options
  • 10-09-2008 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

Hi
    I am just wondering, is there any reason why I shouldn'y have my REG on display on an ad on the net? I see a lot of peope cover them in ads
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭robbie99

yeah, if you've got something to hide or you don't want your car to sell you should cover up the reg

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭mozil

I think its to do with say if a red focus was stolen who ever owns it reports it to the gaurds so the gaurds have the reg number. Boys who stole the car go on carzone look up a red focus and get that plate printed up and put on car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

If you leave it uncovered it allows people to look into the car and get confidence in it.
    You're also exposed to mozil's concerns about the car being "cloned".

If you cover it up, the buyer is a little less confident in it until they contact you and you give them the reg over the phone (if you do agree to it).
    But in the meantime your car is parked in your driveway and anyone stealing a red Focus can drive past your house and get your reg anyway.

I don't see the point in covering it, personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I'd be far less likely to call about a car where the owner has obscured the reg. Stupid and paranoid is a difficult combination to negotiate with. :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Publishing picts of your registration can be used by scammers copying it and using it on similar vehicles on the ANPR tracking cameras on the M50 Westlink. As many trade cars / vans advertised on Carzone are locked up in compounds there is a less likelyhood of bumping into the "cloned" vehicle on the road, also the vender is less likely to memorise the registrations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭Wossack

AudiChris wrote: »
    If you leave it uncovered it allows people to look into the car and get confidence in it.
    You're also exposed to mozil's concerns about the car being "cloned".

If you cover it up, the buyer is a little less confident in it until they contact you and you give them the reg over the phone (if you do agree to it).
    But in the meantime your car is parked in your driveway and anyone stealing a red Focus can drive past your house and get your reg anyway.

I don't see the point in covering it, personally.

whole lot easier to search carzone, then drive around random estates

cloning's gonna be alot more prominent with the ANPR cameras + toll free I'd imagine, especially seeing how easy it is to get a plate made up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Wossack wrote: »
    whole lot easier to search carzone, then drive around random estates

cloning's gonna be alot more prominent with the ANPR cameras + toll free I'd imagine, especially seeing how easy it is to get a plate made up
    I can see new laws coming in where one will need a license to produce number plates, also the documentation such as the registration book must be produced before the plate is made. Any Tom Dick and Harry can currently purchase the press tools and set up a lucrative business

• Registered Users Posts: 68,927 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I can see new laws coming in where one will need a license to produce number plates, also the documentation such as the registration book must be produced before the plate is made. Any Tom Dick and Harry can currently purchase the press tools and set up a lucrative business

Like most sensible countries in the world already require you to?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I can see the logic for a high-value, desirable (to thieves) car.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Brabus

When I was selling my car earlier this year, I done the same as a lot of people in blanking out the reg plate for the ads online.
    Then I copped on after a while when I wasn't getting enquirys about the car and revealed the reg plate. Within 2 weeks i had interest in the car and sold it.
    So i suppose it does prove a point that possible customers want to have all the facts and details before them.
    Tho as mozil said above you run the risk of that happening to you as well.

You just can't win, can you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Anan1 wrote: »
    I'd be far less likely to call about a car where the owner has obscured the reg. Stupid and paranoid is a difficult combination to negotiate with. :-)

Wow, stupid and paranoid. Nice.

eoin_s wrote: »
    Wow, stupid and paranoid. Nice.
    Jesus, eoin_s, do you want a tampon??

Anan1 wrote: »
    Jesus, eoin_s, do you want a tampon??

You're all class.

eoin_s wrote: »
    You're all class.
    :D

Seriously though, would you not just put me on your ignore list? It's upsetting me to think that i'm upsetting you so.:)

Then put me on your ignore list so you are no longer upset that you are upsetting me so. or something.

But I enjoy reading your posts.:D

Advertisement