Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Have about 6k for a new car but know feck all about cars

Options
  • 10-09-2008 2:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭

I've got as 97 Corsa when I start driving 2 years ago. It's been a great little yoke and I *love* it but... I think it's time for a new one.

So, I was thinking a small-ish one (easy on the juice), with 4 doors.

I don't do an awful lot of driving: work and back (10-15 mins each way) and the odd half hour spin.

Anyone any advice? Was thinking maybe a vw polo pr something?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

Not a Polo TBH, its overpriced. I would suggest one of the following depending on your preference:

1. Skoda Fabia
    2. Ford Fiesta
    3. Toyota Yaris
    4. Fiat Panda
    5. Honda Jazz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

If your thinking polo you'll have to consider the skoda fabia and seat ibiza. You could look at getting a newer opel, but when your changing a car you should at least "CHANGE" a car, get something completely new to you.

The fiat panda is meant to be a good car and not just compared to other fiats. Next the clio is a great little car and i think a renault that doesn't give alot of trouble.
    206 i was never a huge fan of but something else you could consider but i think looks best in its 3door guise instead of the 5.
    After that your talking corrolla for reliabilty and boring and a small enough car too maybe fall inside you area.

Looking on car zone alot of choice in the 6k range for ibiza/fabia

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You will pick up a nice 2006 Fiat Panda for around €6k. Cheap to run and has 4 doors:
    CB4_1135319_1_567224.jpg

Ya I also think that the Panda is a cool car. How much would a 100HP one be? What is your own preferance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

hmm. I don;t really like the look of those pandas... the Skoda Fabia looks good though. I'll have a look around at them. cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I'd be looking at Toyota Yaris, Mazda 323 1.3, Honda Jazz, Ford Fiesta, SEAT Ibiza, Skoda Fabia (HTP,not 1.4), (in that order)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,927 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Mr.David wrote: »
    Ya I also think that the Panda is a cool car. How much would a 100HP one be? What is your own preferance?

They're about 5,000 higher list price than a normal 1.2, and introduced in Ireland in 2006 so I suspect they're a bit out of his price range. They are, however, fantastic.... 06 one would have about 2 years warranty and AA left on it too

I've not seen a s/hand one in Ireland at all so had to buy new, got it for only 2000 more than the 1.2's list on a straight deal though. Theres gobs of 1.1/1.2 petrols and a few 1.3 diesels around second hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

Fabia or Yaris, I know its been said but it's true..Go Japanese.
    I'd steer clear of the Polo, completely overpriced

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

I've got as 97 Corsa when I start driving 2 years ago. It's been a great little yoke and I *love* it but... I think it's time for a new one.

So, I was thinking a small-ish one (easy on the juice), with 4 doors.

I don't do an awful lot of driving: work and back (10-15 mins each way) and the odd half hour spin.

Anyone any advice? Was thinking maybe a vw polo pr something?

Actually I picked up a 1.2l Corsa (an 02 "elgance" model) with only 7k on the clock in 06. The models from around 02-06 are quite nice and reasonably cheap. The twinport is much better than the ecotech engine and with your old car and 6000 you should be able to get a nice upgraded model with a small mileage. They are still cheap to run and nice to drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

I'd look at a fiesta with a zetec engine, a yaris or a panda. All good cars with reliable small engines and reasonably economical

• Advertisement

Grahamo999 wrote: »
    Fabia or Yaris, I know its been said but it's true..Go Japanese.

Or Czech?!:)

hmm. I don;t really like the look of those pandas... the Skoda Fabia looks good though. I'll have a look around at them. cheers

Fabia is a great little car, but as Colm mcm said, engine choice is really important. A diesel or the HTP is the way to go....

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

Go Japanese, the best of the best !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Go for a Yaris, very reliable car.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

Mr.David wrote: »
    Or Czech?!:)
    CRAP! I meant swift!!!! Slip of the...finger???!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭chickenhawk

Probably a bit big but an Alfa 147?

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭CL32

sent you a pm OP

Advertisement