Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wanted - Yorkshire Terrier Puppy

Options
  • 10-09-2008 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭

I am looking for a Yorkshire Terrier Puppy....Can anyone help me?:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭jenpup

got this from the Irish Kennel Club website

Yorkshire Terrier Fanciers Assoc.

Mrs. R. McCarry-Beattie
    3 Castlewood Park, Rathmines, Dublin 6.
    (01-4974753)

worth getting in contact with her and seeing if she knows of any reputable breeders.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

Thanks Jenpup.
    I'm hoping to give one a new home rather than buy a new one. I think it's important to try and rehome dogs that need it first

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭~Thalia~

Thanks Jenpup.
    I'm hoping to give one a new home rather than buy a new one. I think it's important to try and rehome dogs that need it first

Good to hear! :)
    How about 'kibbles' good bit down on this page and he's in tipperary so near enough for a Munster Gal! :D

http://www.irishanimals.ie/terriers_homes.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭jenpup

Thanks Jenpup.

good for you, it's great when people want to rehome a dog instead of buying.

I'll keep a look out on other forums I'm on for an yorkshire terriers that come up for rehoming.

Hope you find one soon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

www.petsireland.invisionzone.com

www.dogsindistress.org

Plenty of doggies looking for homes, you may have some difficulty find a thoroughbred puppy, people dont dump them til they are older and the novelty has worn off :mad:

But i have seen plenty of yorkies none the less and hundreds of pups of other breeds.

Best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭BlackCat2008

I am looking for a Yorkshire Terrier Puppy....Can anyone help me?:confused:

Please check this sight http://www.ashanimalrescue.com and see if they have what you are looking for if you don't see one on the web site give them a call if they have one you want just post under Urgent help needed - shelter in crises and I will arrange to get it to you. We need to rehome as many as possible for here to help relieve the strain they are under so please look here first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

Thanks guys.
    I'm ideally looking for a puppy just because I don't really have a back garden and I don't want to take an older dog who is used to being outside all day and make him feel drapped :(
    Even though I don't have a back garden the puppy will be walked two to three times a day as both myself and my partner are very active.
    I have to say Kibbles is absolutely gorgeous. I'm totally in love with him... I just couldn't keep him in the house during the day....it wouldn't be fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

Please check this sight http://www.ashanimalrescue.com and see if they have what you are looking for if you don't see one on the web site give them a call if they have one you want just post under Urgent help needed - shelter in crises and I will arrange to get it to you. We need to rehome as many as possible for here to help relieve the strain they are under so please look here first.

Why does your post worry me ?
    Because you make it sound like choose a dog you like and I will get it to you.
    I understand the shelter is in crisis - have been working in rescue myself many years so I do understand BUT I beleive there are a few points worth making when adopting from a shelter.

This is for general info only - I am not implying that ASH do not do any of the following - it may just be of benefit to potential new adopters !

Any reputable shelter will do a home visit - this is not to snoop round your house but to make sure that you and the dog are best suited -
    I also feel it is very beneficial for 1st times dog owners - they can ask the home visitor questions and get some helpful tips on house-training and basic things. It also gives the new owners a chance to ask more questions about the dog etc as these are not always thought of on contact when viewing in a shelter - it can be overwhelming to say the least !

Also reputable rescues are always there as back-up - should always offer to take the dog back should there be problems of any sort with the pet.

Please ask about the dogs vaccination history and any illness / injury they may have suffered - also last but very important - the dog really should be spayed or neutered leaving a reputable rescue centre.
    This is to ensure that no further unwanted dogs are created - adding to the already overburdened dog population.
    With the best of intentions - accidents can and will happen if a dog comes into season unexpectedly and the owners cannot have the op carried out themselves in time.

Just a few points to consider and be mindful of when adopting a dog from a shelter...

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Beth

A lot of rescue wont adopt out to someone who intends on keeping a dog outside either, they are looking for people who will keep their dogs indoors the majority of the time so leaving a dog outside while out at work may not suit the rescue or the dog, and having the dog inside might not suit the person.

Just something else to keep in mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

Hi, it's really great that rehoming a dog is your first choice! As for wanting a puppy as you think an older dog may feel trapped if being kept indoors, well, not all adult dogs looking for new homes are necessarily dogs that have been kept outside, a lot of them may have been bought as a puppy, kept in the house and then dumped for some stupid reason (e.g. owner is now having a baby, new carpet etc etc! you wouldn't believe some of the excuses)

also, even a dog that has been kept outdoors will probably adjust to coming indoors, usually they will want to be where their owner is, so outside or indoors, whenever they can be with their owner thats where they are happy. (I know of a few dogs who have gone from being strays living rough to pampered house dogs and loving it!)

Also, would you not consider a yorkie type rather than a purebred yorkie? makes no difference really unless you are into showing. You can find loads of little terriers or yorkie looking dogs. Try looking on the http://petsireland.invisionzone.com website under the rescue dogs needing homes, you might find what you are looking for!

Good luck with getting a dog, it sounds like you can provide a good home for a needy dog. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭ecaf

Just wanted to add to the comments OP.
    We've have had 2 yorkies, 1st was an old dog, the old lady owner had passed away. He was lovely and loved being in doors.
    The 2nd we've had from a pup, again absolutely loves being in doors, in-fact he's more a indoor dog than anything. Of course he goes out for walks and goes for little wanders out in the garden. But walks can sometimes consist of being carried on a walk, because it might be 2 wet for his liking! (Very spoilt!)

My point is that most yorkies and small breeds like that prefer to indoors, so don't let this restrict you to getting a pup.

Also I'm not sure if your familiar with this breed, but as a lot of thoroughbreds go, they tend to be very delicate. Our 2nd one can be sick a good bit, they just have to be minded very well, if he over indulges one day, or even just for the reason that something wasn't quite routine, it might put him off his food.
    The vet says its common with them, and we just feed him cottage cheese for a day or two.
    In older dogs they are prone to heart conditions.

My advice would be to think carefully about the type of dog you want, yorkies are lovely and cute, but they aren't very hardy. I would think more towards a jack russell or something like that.
    They are still small and cute and usually well suited to being in doors too, but are far more hardy.

Maybe you have experience with yorkies already, but I just thought I'd offer my tuppence worth!
    Good luck!

Advertisement