Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Incoming call blocking

Options
  • 10-09-2008 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭

I hope this is the right place to put this request. My mother is having a persistant problem with a certain people calling her regarding something she was involved in a few years ago. She does not want to take these calls or deal with these people again so how can she get these numbers blocked. As it is she checks every incoming call on a caller ID thing before she answers it. Can eircom block these calls for her or is there a caller id box with programmable call blocking she can plug in.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Besides getting a new number she can turn to eircom to have numbers blocked. She may need a Gardai report, I don't think eircom blocks numbers with a very good reason.
    Maybe a new number would be quicker and easier.

I wish there was a phone on the market that could be set to "only accept calls from phone book members"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

eircom only offer either complete barring of all incoming calls, or may offer more complicated barring arrangements if they're requested to do so by court order after a complaint to the Gardaí

Changing her number may be the best solution.

eircom can technically block pretty much anything, but it would be an administrative nightmare to set up and maintain complicated call filtering services for end users. For this reason, they do not offer the service commercially.

I would suggest she has a word with eircom's malicious calls bureau on 1-800 689 689. They would be best positioned to advise her on how to proceed.

If the calls are just annoying, but are non-malicious i.e. just people she no longer wishes to speak to, but not threatening / abusive, then there is really nothing illegal about them and she would simply have to change her phone number.

For the time being, perhaps she should invest in an old-fashioned answering machine rather than voicemail as well as her caller ID. This will allow her to hear when a message is being left. If she wants to talk to the person, she can pick up, otherwise, she can just allow the answering machine to continue dealing with the call.

Advertisement