Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Changing a passenger car (Estate) to Commercial??

Options
  • 10-09-2008 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭

Bear with me guys!

I am now finally convinced that the new co2 based tax system has scuppered my chances of driving my dream machine - (Early 80's w123 mercedes) for a couple of years at least.

I have been racking my brains of a way to import a nice W124 Merc from the uk whilst avoiding the huge yearly tax it will incur as a result of having poor co2 emmissions. I believe it falls into the G tax band (226gCO2/km and over) which means yearly tax of $2000.00.

Nuts!

I am now thinking along the lines of a 300D estate. W124 or even the newer frog eyed model (couldn't bring myself to modify a W123 - will buy one of those when I can afford to tax it!). I do quite a bit of outdoor activities and could justify driving a van (But I want to drive a Merc!).

Does anyone know if it is possible to buy a Merc estate in the Uk bring it over to Ireland, clear it as a car, put irish plates on it then ask my friendly tax office what I need to do in terms of modifications to tax it as a van.

Lots and lots of searches have not really answered my question. It seems to be a very grey area, yet I know of guys who have done it with passenger 4x4's.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My quest for a proper Merc continues!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Only the VRT will increase, you will still be on the CC based motor tax rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭W123-80's

eoin_s wrote: »

Cheers.. Back to the drawing board!!

I had planned on Paying VRT on the car as a passenger vehicle. Then making my enquiries based on changing an Irish passenger car to a commercial vehicle.

I thought Commercial vehicles paid a flat rate of €240.00 yearly or some figure like that?

That's correct, but at least your road tax won't be the full €2000. What would the road tax be under the CC system?

Sounds like a lot of work, considering that an early 80's car will enjoy classic status in a few years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭superjosh9

beat me to it.

W124 Estate is such a beauty! Great proportions! As I drive a 940 estate, I feel like cheering everytime I see one. Last of a dying breed!

That's correct, but at least your road tax won't be the full €2000. What would the road tax be under the CC system?

Sounds like a lot of work, considering that an early 80's car will enjoy classic status in a few years time.

I think the tax on 2,907-3,000(cc) is €1,200 and 3,000 or more is €1,491..!

Couldn't be paying that.

I guess you have a point about the early 80's car. I think the idea of a van with a difference was appealing to me too.! I just don't have any idea how strict they are on modifications apart from the obvious ones - remove the rear seats & seatbelts and weld in a floor.

• Advertisement

I think the load area has to be a certain percentage of the car, but I would imagine that wouldn't be a problem for an estate car. The rear windows might have to be blacked out as well.

I think the load area has to be a certain percentage of the car, but I would imagine that wouldn't be a problem for an estate car. The rear windows might have to be blacked out as well.

It is possible!!

But having discovered in earlier posts that an early 80's Merc will incur tax at the old rate (which is just affordable) and not on the CO2 rate I am now re-thinking my strategy.!

I still think a W124 would make a pretty cool van! (Obviously far nicer in car version though:o)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭jaycen

1. Rear seats and belts etc must be removed.
    2. Rear side windows must be replaced with panels (black out is not accepted.
    3. Seat belt mouunts to be removed (cut so it can't be converted back).
    4. Inspector must pass the vehicle as commercial.
    That was my experience.

A word of warning to others thinking about cheap jeeps etc, the revenue judge converting a commercial back to passenger without notification as tax evasion and have become very active on this recently.

jaycen wrote: »
    1. Rear seats and belts etc must be removed.
    2. Rear side windows must be replaced with panels (black out is not accepted.
    3. Seat belt mouunts to be removed (cut so it can't be converted back).
    4. Inspector must pass the vehicle as commercial.
    That was my experience.

A word of warning to others thinking about cheap jeeps etc, the revenue judge converting a commercial back to passenger without notification as tax evasion and have become very active on this recently.

Thanks for that. That is alot of work.
    Did you go through the process?

I've just discovered this on the simi.ie website;
    "Imported cars first registered in a previous country before Jan 1st 2008 will be Road Taxed at current rates EXCEPT those with emissions more then 225g/km which will be taxed on a CO2 basis (€2000.00)".

I am pretty sure most W123 80's Mercs will have emissions exceeding 225g/km.

The search for a W124 estate is on!

W123-80's wrote: »
    I've just discovered this on the simi.ie website;
    "Imported cars first registered in a previous country before Jan 1st 2008 will be Road Taxed at current rates EXCEPT those with emissions more then 225g/km which will be taxed on a CO2 basis (€2000.00)".

Where does it say that?

This is from this document on their site:
    Q: I am thinking of buying an imported used car after July, how will the new Road Tax system affect me?
    A: Imported cars first registered in previous country before the 1st January 2008 will be Road Taxed at current rates (cc based). Used vehicles first registered in previous country after 1st July 2008 will be based on the CO2 Road Tax rates while those registered in other member states between the 1st January and 1st July 2008 will be taxed on whichever rate is lower. (See Tables 1 and 2)

This is from the motor tax website in this document:
    A private vehicle first registered abroad prior to 1 January 2008 will be taxed on engine cc. The new CO2 based system will not apply to second-hand imports that were registered abroad prior to 2008.

• Advertisement

Where does it say that?

This is from this document on their site:

This is from the motor tax website in this document:

Ok..:o I lied a little. I didn't just discover that on the simi website now. I printed that off the simi website about 2 months ago and found it in my desk, I just printed their up to date version and they have changed their website and the peice where it states cars over 225g/km getting hit for €2000 road tax has been removed.

Apologies. and cheers for the correction.

Ok..:o I lied a little. I didn't just discover that on the simi website now. I printed that off the simi website about 2 months ago and found it in my desk, I just printed their up to date version and they have changed their website and the peice where it states cars over 225g/km getting hit for €2000 road tax has been removed.

Apologies. and cheers for the correction.

No worries. Also bear in mind that it is not in the SIMI's members' interests for people to import cars. Edit, also the classic cars forum may be of use, as the car is quite close to classic status.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭jaycen

Thanks for that. That is alot of work.
    Did you go through the process?

Helped my dad bring a van in from the UK, had a side window which had to be removed etc etc, TBH the inspectors were nice enough, had to bring it back once the window was removed to get it cleared.

Advertisement