Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price Increases

Options
  • 10-09-2008 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,447 ✭✭✭✭

As we all know campus can be pretty expensive. Last year in the SU shops, they increased the price of hot drinks, a decision which was reversed after a number of complaints. And, of course they've done it again, with a 15% increase in price. I'm sure there are SU members on here so would any of them like to explain where this increase comes from?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

What I thought surprising was that food in the Centre Club is now 6.50. Now, that is still cheap (just barely), but it was 5eur 2 years ago. Thats like a 30% increase over 2 years - fairly steep.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Tea and coffee is gone up 20c in the Arts Café...to pay for the new look? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Tea and coffee is gone up 20c in the Arts Café...to pay for the new look? :rolleyes:

Hilpers is a fcukin joke !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

fullstop wrote: »
    As we all know campus can be pretty expensive. Last year in the SU shops, they increased the price of hot drinks, a decision which was reversed after a number of complaints. And, of course they've done it again, with a 15% increase in price. I'm sure there are SU members on here so would any of them like to explain where this increase comes from?

SU Members don't control pricing in the SU shops and wouldn't know the intimate details of the pricing structures of the shop. You are yourself an SU member don't forget.

I think the President sits on the management committees, but it is the decision of the managers, rather than the SU to raise or lower prices.

I would suggest you contact your class rep or email the President to highlight the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Het-Field wrote: »
    Hilpers is a fcukin joke !

The worst part is that there's almost no oldies left anymore to call it that... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

FFS I remember when you could get a pack of crisps for 10p. Lads they can't keep doing this. I say we revolt on the student union and have a war of independence for its crimes to humanity

Fosters has gone up to €3.60. Thats just life

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Well tbh, with so many people leaving each year, no-one realises how steep the price rises are over let's say a 2 or 3 year period.

Vote with your feet and don't buy from them...

I remember the Perk (lol) jumbo - 16oz - black coffee for €1.50, that got me through many a 9am lecture back in the day. The other day I paid over €2 for a regular americano...

Also, when I started in UCD (this would be 2002/03 academic year) it used to be €1 in the shop for a bottle of diet Coke (and when I went in 6th year for the open day it was 85c!). Now it's €1.50 in the machines.

On principle I'm going to buy as little as possible on campus this year, it's fcuking ridiculous.

And Joe is 100% correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

15% in a year, is pretty unfair :(

stupid inflation! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

I was outraged.
    I made the point to someone working in the shop quite loudly, but I suppose it's nothing they can do anything about...

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

They probably don't like paying it either.... ask for the shop manager - she's usually in the Library shop during business hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

The worst part is that there's almost no oldies left anymore to call it that...

*waves*

Over here:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

15% in a year, is pretty unfair :(

stupid inflation! :mad:

Whats gone up 15%? The only drink i buy there is pepsi max which cost 1.25 in 2006 when i began and went up 5c this term and went up 5c in 07. Cant complain about that. Its still well below shop prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

I believe she/he is talking about hot drinks increasing from 1 yoyo to 1.15.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Xhristy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

I am never going to pay more than 1 euro for coffee co they can go fvck themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Also noticed that in the main restaraunt you have to collect your teabag when you pay now which makes for a scheisse cup o tae

• Registered Users Posts: 11,447 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Whats gone up 15%? The only drink i buy there is pepsi max which cost 1.25 in 2006 when i began and went up 5c this term and went up 5c in 07. Cant complain about that. Its still well below shop prices.
    Read the OP....

SU Members don't control pricing in the SU shops and wouldn't know the intimate details of the pricing structures of the shop. You are yourself an SU member don't forget.

I think the President sits on the management committees, but it is the decision of the managers, rather than the SU to raise or lower prices.

I would suggest you contact your class rep or email the President to highlight the issue.
    I have e-mailed the president but he didn't get back to me.

UCD_Econ wrote: »
    I believe she/he is talking about hot drinks increasing from 1 yoyo to 1.15.

she (:D) was indeed talking about the increase in coffee prices. i notice they lulled us into a false sense of security by having the old prices during orientation week!

• Advertisement

Xhristy wrote: »
    Same here - I like my packed lunches :)

she (:D) was indeed talking about the increase in coffee prices. i notice they lulled us into a false sense of security by having the old prices during orientation week!

I'm ain't no girl :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Nooo! The best thing about UCD (seriously) was the sort-of okay coffee for €1 in SU shop under the library! Are ye saying it's gone!? Damn it! Damnit it to hell!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Xhristy wrote: »

:mad:

I'm ain't no girl :mad:

fullstop - i think UCD Econ was referring to my post about the 15% increase I alluded to which someone had quoted and queried.

i wasn't calling you a girl :p

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

gubbie wrote: »
    FFS I remember when you could get a pack of crisps for 10p. Lads they can't keep doing this. I say we revolt on the student union and have a war of independence for its crimes to humanity

Fosters has gone up to €3.60. Thats just life
    That all well and good, but prices of beer increase far more regularly in UCD than they do in other pubs around the country. 2 years ago Fosters was only €3 and they've been constantly adding on 10 or 15c to the price ever since. That's a 20% increase over 2 years, if it keeps going this way where will it end up?
    Also, is the student bar subsidised?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Het-Field wrote: »
    :mad:
    Oh get over it :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

http://images1.comstock.com/Imagewarehouse/IT/SITECS/NLWMCompingVersions/cd152/itf152054.jpg

inflation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

whilst on the topic

student bar dinner went from 450 - over €6.00 in the 4 years i was there, thats a 33% increase,
    although the food is prob 50% better.

Advertisement