Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Suspicious email about buying my car

Options
  • 10-09-2008 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭

Hi,

I had an offer from someone looking to buy my car without seeing it or test driving it. They said they will send me a bank draft and arrange shipment. Anyone familiar with anything like this which could be dodgy? it seems a bit mad too me!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

Scam scam scam.

This is a really common scam, they'll send you a bank draft for more than the amount you ask for then ask you to refund the difference after you've sent the car. Then a while later the bank will reject the bank draft and you'll have lost the car, the payment and what you've refunded. Stay well clear and report it to the site you're selling your car on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭fletch

scam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Scam

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭superjosh9

Genuine!

sorry, yeh scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭jeff lebowski

Yeah, I was 99.99% sure it was a scam. I was just wondering if anyone had a similar email. This is the car: http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=65522&cat=500 Dunno if they saw it there or on another site though.

The buyer purported to be from Aberdeen yet the English was atrocious. They said they would only get the car shipped to them after the bank draft cleared.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Wolverine_1999

I'm guessing the car is to be shipped to Lagos and you are also a beneficiary of the great sultan's off shore bank account to which you have a right to 50% of :p

These people should be shot..(in the nicest possible way of course..)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Wolverine_1999

Yeah, I was 99.99% sure it was a scam. I was just wondering if anyone had a similar email. This is the car: http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=65522&cat=500 Dunno if they saw it there or on another site though.

The buyer purported to be from Aberdeen yet the English was atrocious. They said they would only get the car shipped to them after the bank draft cleared.

The cheque initally seems to clear, but then you get a call 5-7 days later telling you otherwise.. I've seen this

By the way, nice car ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

That's cos he was Nigerian.

May god bless and keep you.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭jeff lebowski

By the way, nice car
    Wanna buy it?! :)

Apparently he's a Sailor from Denmark who usually lives in Aberdeen....lol. I think I'll keep replying for the craic and waste his time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,898 ✭✭✭patrickc

I've my sisters car advertised in various places for her at the moment, I've had to take my email address off most of the ads, the scams are unbelievable and some even say we'll give you an extra 50 euro to remove the ad immediately.. wtf like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I wonder how many threads there's been about this topic so far....

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

lol. I think I'll keep replying for the craic and waste his time.
    That'd be your time, those emails are pretty much automated.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

It's 100% legit, it's the new way of buying cars, no looking just buy and they are usually from a country where the car you are selling would cost much less.

The more people to get burned by these idiots the better, it will educate the remaining idiots in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

OP, stop pimping your car.

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement