Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does Lan traffic effect broadband

Options
  • 10-09-2008 5:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭

I'm on NTL 20 meg, theres 3 of us using it, my sis wants me to share out my films , if I do and she starts playing files over the network would that have any effect on broadband, would the third PC be able to work away as normal, would I be able to work away as normal or would it kill the connection for all and sundry

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

It really depends on the capacity of your lan, and how much the computers you're using are connecting to it at. It is possible that usage on your lan would effect the speed of broadband getting to you're computer, though its only effecting how much of it is getting to you're computer and not the actual speed of the broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Our wifi can be affected for bb with more than 4 users (10Mbps broadband), but the cabled LAN BB isn't much affected.

Depends on your LAN, if you have a switch or hub, 10Mbps, 100Mbps or 1Gbps etc..

With typical BB (over 50% have 1Mbps) even up to 3Mbps, a 54G Wifi and 100Mbps LAN would not see BB speeds affected unless you have more than 12 LAN users and 5 WiFi users (assuming only one accessing BB).

Advertisement