Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cancelled T.V. shows

• 10-09-2008 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭

so, what shows cancelled in their first season do you think deserved to do better than they did?
    also, what, in your opinion, definatley needed the boot?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Thought Journeyman was decent and should've been given a run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space:_Above_and_Beyond

Thought they could've made more of this.

And before anyone else mentions it : Firefly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Definitely Journeyman.

It was criminal killing Firefly - thats a given.
    I also liked Threshold and Surface (2 casualties in the same year, and both showed lots of promise).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭fated2pretend

Firefly +1

Also, Studio 60 and (though it got 3 seasons) Arrested Development.

As for shows that should have been cancelled early in their run, I never saw anything special about Ugly Betty or The Big Bang Theory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

+eleventy for Arrested Development. Can't believe I forgot it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

ditto Studio 60 and Firefly. i also thought that Over There and Point Pleasant were quite good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

amacachi wrote: »
    +eleventy for Arrested Development.

Totally agree. Superb show, should never have been cancelled:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭herobear

all my favourite shows get cancelled :(

veronica mars
    studio 60
    journeyman
    kitchen confidential
    the dresden files
    futurama(although the movies = yay!)
    drive
    Angel(technically was cancelled)
    and my beloved Odyssey 5

thank god dexter & supernatural are still around......

i was glad when everwood finally died, even though i loved it back in the day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Jericho. (mind it did get a reduced 2nd season after fans protest)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 kovski

Action with Jay Mohr from about 8 years ago. Unlike a lot of American comedies it was actually funny. And Veronica Mars which did well to get 3 series. Normally something that interesting only gets one seaon before it's canned. Anyone remember Nowhere Man from the mid nineties?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭starn

Action was fantastic. If I remember rightly RTE got the order wrong. As a result Jay Mohr charecter died from a heart attack in one episode and came back to life for the final four

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Not a US import shocker - Trevors World of Sport BBC1 6 episodes and effectively killed off by lousy scheduling.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Freaks and Geeks

Popular

American Dreams

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

+1 to firefly.
    Angel was mentioned but i think it had run it's course and was glad it didn't keep going and get bad.

i can't really complain about shows that finished their story like Andromeda or Angel.
    Still feal cheated when shows are pulled without a last ep. a la 4400 and Quantum Leap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

I remember RTE were showing Commander and Chief and Line of Fire. Both American TV series, both rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

many people seen drive, i can't 'find' it, is it even out on dvd?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Is Quantam Leap too long ago??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I was reall enjoying What about Brian. I hate when stuff I like gets cancelled, even after it's jumped the shark I quite enjoying watching something with familiar characters when the mood takes me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 113 ✭✭nehpets5555

'over there ' it was an action/drama based on soldiers in Iraq , i thought it was really good
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Over_There_(TV_series)

Arrested Development aswell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Sooo many..
    • Freaks and Geeks (amazing.. wonderful.. hilarious.. timeless!)
    • Undeclared (see above! ;))
    • Firefly (probably my favourite of Whedon's stuff and truly innovative)
    • Veronica Mars (stupendous first season.. very good second season.. horrific third)
    • Journeyman (cancelled in it's prime.. what would have became of Dan Vasser?!)
    • The Inside (wonderfully creepy and dark drama by Tim Minear)
    • Drive (another excellent drama from Tim Minear cancelled in it's prime)
    • Arrested Development (definitely one of the funniest shows in the last 10 years.. and apart from a patchy final season - it was fantastic!)
    Have loads more but that's all at the front of my mind for now..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Is it too late to mention The Prisoner?

Mike

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Jericho - Loved it and the second season was a bit of a cop out.
    The 4400 - all it needed was one more god damn season to finish the story off.
    Odyssey 5 - That was pretty good and I found it quite enjoyable. Could have gone somewhere good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

basquille wrote: »
    Sooo many..
    • Undeclared (see above! ;))
    • Firefly (probably my favourite of Whedon's stuff and truly innovative)
    • The Inside (wonderfully creepy and dark drama by Tim Minear)
    • Drive (another excellent drama from Tim Minear cancelled in it's prime)
    • Arrested Development (definitely one of the funniest shows in the last 10 years.. and apart from a patchy final season - it was fantastic!)
    Have loads more but that's all at the front of my mind for now..

"You are watching Fox Fux."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

The Lost Room shouldn't of got cancelled, I quite liked it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Dman001 wrote: »
    The Lost Room shouldn't of got cancelled, I quite liked it.
    Sorry to be pedantic but 'The Lost Room' wasn't specifically cancelled as it never was planned as a series - it was and always planned to be a mini-series.

If it did well in the ratings, Sci-Fi would have commissioned a full series - but it didn't, so Sci-Fi passed.

Shame as I loved it too.. would have prefered Peter Krause do a series of this as opposed to glitzy "soap opera" cack like 'Dirty Sexy Money'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

Deadwood! Excellent show.
    Journey Man - ditto.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Anna Lee, was on ITV in the 90's

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anna_Lee_(TV_series)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭iseegirls

starn wrote: »
    Action was fantastic. If I remember rightly RTE got the order wrong. As a result Jay Mohr charecter died from a heart attack in one episode and came back to life for the final four

TV3 had the rights to it, not RTE :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Profit_(TV_series)

A revolutionary series. Problem was at the time of it's release people were just not ready to see a bad guy as the main character.

you may recognise Profit from a current highly popular TV series.
    mike65 wrote: »
    Is it too late to mention The Prisoner?

Mike

That was just weird man ....yet I watched every one of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

http://www.hbo.com/rome/

Also forgot to mention Rome. That was awesome show that got really popular after the series ended. I'm so annoyed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

layke wrote: »
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Profit_(TV_series)

A revolutionary series. Problem was at the time of it's release people were just not ready to see a bad guy as the main character.

you may recognise Profit from a current highly popular TV series.

That was just weird man ....yet I watched every one of them.

was repeated recently on zone thriller so I sky plussed it. Whilst the computery bits have dated it is very good and am enjoying it so far.
    Dude is the older Petrelli in heroes now.

My so called life, which I am rewatching with my wife, was cancelled too early. That show could have had a five year run. Fantastic writing and acting and it has aged very well (apart from the grungey shirts).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

Space: Above & Beyond
    Threshold
    Firefly
    Jericho
    Veronica Mars
    Odyssey 5
    Freaks and Geeks
    Undeclared
    Rome

As for shows that should have been cancelled, they are countless. I reserve judgement on Lost until it is concluded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

matrim wrote: »
    +1 to firefly.
    Angel was mentioned but i think it had run it's course and was glad it didn't keep going and get bad.

I agree that the Angel and Buffy both ran their course, In saying that I would love if they had another season they where the Most guilty of all my pleasures.

I absolutely agree that firefly is the show that was killed too early however I did really like the film,

Someone said space above and beyond I LOVED this show I would advise anyone to watch it who likes sci-fi, The acting is betond crap but above that its truly classic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

+ 1 FIREFLY

ALSO

KITCHEN CONFIDENTIAL

MOONLIGHT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

i can't really complain about shows that finished their story like Andromeda or Angel.
    Still feal cheated when shows are pulled without a last ep. a la 4400 and Quantum Leap

Going back a long way i do seem to remember Quantun Leap did have a final episode at least i remember him meeting god in a diner or something , open to correction though.

Odyssey 5 was one I was sad to see go also

calex71 wrote: »
    Going back a long way i do seem to remember Quantun Leap did have a final episode at least i remember him meeting god in a diner or something , open to correction though.

Odyssey 5 was one I was sad to see go also

I believe he met another "jumper" and his reflection was his own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭fated2pretend

matrim wrote: »

Hmmm. I think Angel could definitely have gone on for one more season, and a cracking one it would have been too. At the very least, they should have been given more than 5 episodes notice to tie everything up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭claiva

Sorry to be pedantic but 'The Lost Room' wasn't specifically cancelled as it never was planned as a series - it was and always planned to be a mini-series.

If it did well in the ratings, Sci-Fi would have commissioned a full series - but it didn't, so Sci-Fi passed.

Shame as I loved it too.. would have prefered Peter Krause do a series of this as opposed to glitzy "soap opera" cack like 'Dirty Sexy Money'.

Loved the lost room aswell....thought it was a great idea and would have been a great series. Six feet under is my alltime favorite show. I still feel sick that it's over.......nothing comes close....soprano's....lost......:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Mr E wrote: »
    Definitely Journeyman.

It was criminal killing Firefly - thats a given.
    I also liked Threshold and Surface (2 casualties in the same year, and both showed lots of promise).

I thought Threshold had an excellent pilot, but went a bit downhill from there. I was still disappointed when it was canned though.

calex71 wrote: »

that episode was only meant as a season cliffhanger. had the producers known it would be their last, they would have had Sam find his way home. instead, they threw together some silly still-frame images of Scott Bakula with text saying how he was never seen again, for the DVD of season 5:(

I personally don't think The Clinic should have lived past season two, if at all. also, Lost went downhill very fast after the first seasn.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Hmmm. I think Angel could definitely have gone on for one more season, and a cracking one it would have been too.
    Ah but at least we get to read it in comic form now, so there's some continuation which many of the others don't have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Dark Skies, I found interesting, but that disappeared into oblivion after the first series.

Another one was "Jeremiah". Sky showed the first series, but didn't bother with the other two, and the plug got pulled in the end anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Ah I see, I didn't know that. Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

Pure Mule

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Another one was "Jeremiah". Sky showed the first series, but didn't bother with the other two, and the plug got pulled in the end anyway.
    Well there was only one other one - just a two season show. The second season's ending was actually pretty decent and it brought a little bit of closure to the show, whilst having had enough scope for a third.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Another vote for Odyssey 5. It was refreshing to see a Scifi show that was targetted for adults.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

ixoy wrote: »
    Well there was only one other one - just a two season show. The second season's ending was actually pretty decent and it brought a little bit of closure to the show, whilst having had enough scope for a third.

I've heard of this, is it worth getting? Stars yer man from beverly hills and Oz, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

ixoy wrote: »

I must have misread it somewhere. Haven't a clue why Sky didn't buy it, but had to chuckle when instead, they bought Jake 2.0 before that too got canned.

• Advertisement
Advertisement