Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cancelled T.V. shows

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Another vote for Odyssey 5. It was refreshing to see a Scifi show that was targetted for adults.

I think that the writers scripted themselves into a corner on that one, then shot themselves in the feet with the way they had plot going.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

Dont think it was mentioned but HUFF was a great show. Especially the first season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Commander in chief. It deserved a second season at least. Geena Davis and Donald Sutherland were excellent in it. I guess that America couldn't get to grips with the idea of a woman president.

They may just get one now by default. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Scrubs should have left the air-waves at about season 5. 6 & 7 seem so stale and overfamilier.

Crusade deserved to be treated better than it got

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Drawn Together. Seriously fúcked up cartoon but hilarious none the less.

Just checking to see whether RTE was showing a new series of Shark, only to discover on IMDB that there isn't going to be one. It seems that either James Woods was being "awkward", or that CBS didn't put in a very good time slot, so the ratings dropped. Whatever it was - Bye bye Shark.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

I loved Carnivale and felt that by the end of the 2nd season when it got canned it was setup for a fantastic 3rd season. Really got going and I've found the characters in it are characters that stay with you for a long time after the show. So much potential unexplored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭krpc

Mr E wrote: »
    Definitely Journeyman.

It was criminal killing Firefly - thats a given.
    I also liked Threshold and Surface (2 casualties in the same year, and both showed lots of promise).

I have to agree about Threshold.

Dark Angel, Jake 2.0, Odyssey 5, Commander in Chief, The Dresden Files should/could have continued on.

The 4400, lasting 4 seasons, had some potential to continue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

Drawn Together. Seriously fúcked up cartoon but hilarious none the less.

+1

I don't think I was ever so shocked/happy/falling around the place laughing all at once at a TV show, let alone an animated one. 3 seasons would have been plenty but the seasons were so short in comparison to a standard TV show e.g. season 1 lasted 7 episodes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭DJ Hafez

Arrested Development
    Bo Selecta
    Ali G
    -but to name a few

Stargate: Atlantis
    Space:AAB
    Crusade
    Firefly
    Surface (well...it deserved a decent ending at least)
    Point pleasant
    The west wing
    The 4400
    Jericho (BRILLIANT)
    Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip
    Angel (better than Buffy IMO)

I'd like to add Earthworm Jim. Excellent cartoon and one of the funniest from my childhood. I recently found it's showing on Nicktoons so I'm currently recording it on my PC. It is a shame it only lasted two seasons but I've heard it will be making a return at some point in the near future.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Off Centre

Think it only got 2 series', it used to be on C4 at stupid o'clock. Same guys who wrote the original American Pie movies. Had great potential with some very good characters but was sadly overlooked :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭Heckler

Much as I loved Millennium I think it ran its course. Season 3 was not great although a TV series with Lance Henriksen will beat the ass off most others. One of the most underrated actors ever. He was born to play Frank Black. Such a brilliant character.

Loved Angel as well and glad to see it go out on a high. Never got boring or unwatchable.

Can't remember how the Nowhere Man ended but I have a feeling it was left hanging. Really enjoyed that.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112104/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Melion wrote: »
    Off Centre

Think it only got 2 series', it used to be on C4 at stupid o'clock. Same guys who wrote the original American Pie movies. Had great potential with some very good characters but was sadly overlooked :(
    Was on at a godawful hour on RTÉ2 on a Sunday night too.

Very under-rated show.. starred John Cho (from Harold & Kumar..), Eddie Kaye Thomas (Finch from American Pie) and Sean Maguire (from errrrrrr.. Meet The Spartans).

Was actually quite witty and original, but never got an audience.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Probably wouldn't have been feasible for more than the episodes that were made, and it wasn't cancelled just came to a conclusion, but man do I miss BBC2's This Life. My favourite programme of all time.

Also couldn't/shouldn't have been continued but I do miss is Dallas. Vintage Tv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

kraggy wrote: »
    Probably wouldn't have been feasible for more than the episodes that were made, and it wasn't cancelled just came to a conclusion, but man do I miss BBC2's This Life. My favourite programme of all time.
    Yep, rewatched the series leading up the reunion finale at Christmas.. the 2 seasons were cracking, but the special at Christmas was absolutely terrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Rineanna

I kind of got in to Jack and Bobby on TV3. It wasn't the best programme in the world by a long shot, but it was a novel idea IMO.
    Firefly +1
    As for shows that should have been cancelled early in their run, I never saw anything special about Ugly Betty

I respectfully disagree; I absolutely love Ugly Betty, and know of a lot of people who do too. That could be just my sense of humour, though. It's about the only series I can think of which constantly makes me laugh out loud; in some parts I'm roaring laughing :o. It takes the complete mick out of the fashion industry. Each to their own, I guess.

Then there was Brimstone, where the writers ambitiously told us that 120 demons had escaped from Hell, and that a dead cop, under the guidance of John Glover as the devil, was going to send them all back. There were only 13 episodes which means that there are still 107 demons out there. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

He did get the one who killed his wife in the end, didn't he though? So some sort of conclusion I guess.

So many shows to mention here.

One that particularly sticks out for me is Wonderfalls. I really loved that little show.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭flangeman

Nowhere Man was so good, Space:AAB and of course Brisco County Junior

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Firelfy: (+1 billion)
    Space Above and Beyond
    God, the Devil and Bob
    Drawn Together
    Crusade
    Jake 2.0
    Mysterious Ways
    Veritas: had Arnold Vosloo (very cool dude) and Cobie Smulders (her surname is very apt)
    Journeyman: the real casualty of the writers strike

Damn, looking at this list makes me seem like such a geek!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

You can get your Cobie Smulders fix in How I Met Your Mother (she plays Robin).

Veritas wasn't great, IMO (watched most of it on Sci-Fi a few years ago)

He did get the one who killed his wife in the end, didn't he though? So some sort of conclusion I guess.

Oh yeh, I remember now, one of the few that had some kind of "closure" instead of hanging in the air for eternity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Mr E wrote: »
    You can get your Cobie Smulders fix in How I Met Your Mother (she plays Robin).

Veritas wasn't great, IMO (watched most of it on Sci-Fi a few years ago)

I shall be looking at this show (for educational purposes only mind;))

I thought that it had great potential TBH. It seemd stuck in that rut of shows that have good premise but no funding.

I mentioned Harsh Realm somewhere on the Boards because TV3 showed it after the plug got pulled when only 9 episides were made. TV3 never owned up that there were no more, so after the last one was shown the announcer said "Well, that's all from Harsh Realm, for now."

I don't know why the hell they even showed it, unless it only cost 'em a fiver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

i quite liked invasion. twas plenty of untapped potential there

I'll mention my so called life again. Nearly finished rewatching it, such a great show. beats the Oc and it's ilk into a cocked hat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

3 more from recent years...

Threat Matrix
    Eyes
    E-Ring

Watched and liked all 3. Eyes wasn't really given a chance - it was witty and clever and had a nice story arc. Threat Matrix and E-Ring were kind of similar. Both got full seasons but were never renewed. E-Ring started off really cheesy, but went out on a high with some excellent episodes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,161 ✭✭✭rednik

Another one for Dark Skies and Ultraviolet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭herobear

this thread is bumming me out :(

i might get stick for these 2, but i dont care :P :
    joan of arcadia
    &
    tru calling(especially season 2).

nice to see some Odyssey 5 fans! if u have the opportunity please do buy the region 1(US) dvd of the series, its worth it.

• Advertisement

Garth Marenghi's Darkplace

Also +1 for Earthworm Jim....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

+1 for Joan of Arcadia..Fantastic Show

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭xbox36016

what about brain +1

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Really disappointing reading this, as I know there are some series I would have watched, but knowing they were cut down in their prime is a put off!

Firefly I watched knowing it had been cancelled, totally worth it.

I remember John Doe's ending really annoyed me for a rushed ending. Space Above and Beyond was cool. Barely remember brisco county junior. I believe there were a lot of bodices IIRC. *goes off to internet land*

Has anybody made a special point of not watching a new offering from the US, after assuming that it's going to have the plug pulled during, or at the end of the first series? The last one that I decided not to watch was "Lost" - haven't seen any of it. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

djkeogh wrote: »
    I loved Carnivale and felt that by the end of the 2nd season when it got canned it was setup for a fantastic 3rd season. Really got going and I've found the characters in it are characters that stay with you for a long time after the show. So much potential unexplored.

+ 1, Carnivale was genuinely one of the best, original shows for decades, the attention to detail was genuinely astounding. Apparently they had a further 5 series planned out *sigh*

Edit: Forgot about Twin Peaks, the final cliffhanger was something else!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Carnivale
    Firefly
    Twin Peaks

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 487 ✭✭Alibear

It's a pity they cancelled Rough Diamond.... OK, fair enough the sound effects were terrible but I still thought it was quite good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Has anybody made a special point of not watching a new offering from the US, after assuming that it's going to have the plug pulled during, or at the end of the first series? The last one that I decided not to watch was "Lost" - haven't seen any of it. :o

Well how wrong you were as we now enter Season 5!!!!:D And pretty much guaranteed another season after to wrap it up!! Season 1 was excellent and I liked Season 2 but its not as good as use to be anymore, I'm loyal though so I'll watch it to the end to see how it plays out. I would never purposely not watch a show for fear of it be cancelled, after all isn't it better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all?....or so i'v heard....;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭eddiehobbs

Jericho. (mind it did get a reduced 2nd season after fans protest)

Totally agree, should not have been cancelled and yet it was, despite a decent fanbase

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

The ones I miss are Rome, 4400, Jack & Bobby and Dark Angel. Now if I'm honest I cant see where they'd have gone with another season of Rome but the others still had plenty left in them :(

yea, the 4400 sucks.
    they wanted 5 seasons & got nailed after 4:( (and a particurley strong 4th season to boot!)

I put it down to complications involving the wrighters strike & new show Heroes.
    does anybody know for sure?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

+1 for Earthworm Jim
    How the hell has nobody mentioned the live action series of The Tick ???
    Only 9 episodes :( . Definately one of the funniest shows ive ever seen though.

Oh and The Cape

+1 for Earthworm Jim

Oh and The Cape

Was that the one aout the astronauts? haven't seen it in years. if it was...pure class

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

Journeyman is the one that really pisses me off. Hacked down when it has so much potential. Then there's Arrested Development. It was only patchy in the 3rd series because they knew it was the end. Dumb Americans just don't get clever comedy or comedy without a laugh track.

• Advertisement

+1 for Earthworm Jim

Oh and The Cape

The good thing is that Earthworm Jim is back on TV on Nicktoons at 14:30 and 22:00 every day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Was that the one aout the astronauts? haven't seen it in years. if it was...pure class
    Yep that was it
    Used to love it on sky 1. Specially the theme music

Still cant believe that Law & Order: Criminal Intent was cancelled!!:(:mad::eek:

Thank god it was brought back!!!:):rolleyes::D

okay, so what shows cancelled in their FIRST (and thus, only) season does everybody wish kept on going longer?

For me, it's Studio 60

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

okay, so what shows cancelled in their FIRST (and thus, only) season does everybody wish kept on going longer?

For me, it's Studio 60

my so called life

• Advertisement
Advertisement