Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Puncture repair places for runflat tyre

Options
  • 10-09-2008 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

hi,

does anyone know of anywhere close to cavan..failing that in dublin...that repairs a puncture in a runflat tyre...i know they're not supposed to be repaired technically...but that some places do.

thanks for any pointers...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I think most places do, as long as it's in the tread. If I were you, i'd grab a Golden Pages and start calling - shouldn't be too long before you get lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,363 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Who said they shouldnt be repaired? That would be madness. Surely the whole idea is that it stays 'up' to get you to a garage to have it repaired and stops you needing to change a puncture on the road plus it does away with any possible loss of control due to sudden deflation etc etc. If they couldnt be repaired, Nobody could or would justify the cost of them if they were to be a throw away item

• Registered Users Posts: 68,927 ✭✭✭✭L1011

mickdw wrote: »
    Who said they shouldnt be repaired? That would be madness. Surely the whole idea is that it stays 'up' to get you to a garage to have it repaired and stops you needing to change a puncture on the road plus it does away with any possible loss of control due to sudden deflation etc etc. If they couldnt be repaired, Nobody could or would justify the cost of them if they were to be a throw away item

The manufacturers, generally. They're meant to deform so as to let you continue running till you get a replacement - by this stage they're apparently not safe to repair and reinflate. Never had them myself so I've no idea this is true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I always thought they weren't meant to be repaired also :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

They're not meant to be repaired.

But, it's dependent on how long you drive for on the uninflated wheel. Without the air, the sidewall of the tire is taking the entire weight of the car, and it will deform. So if you drive 10 miles and get it sorted, you should be okay (Still not technically though). If you drive 50, it's a whole other ball game.

Naturally, if the hole is in the sidewall, it can't be repaired either.

• Advertisement

I am amazed. Are ye sure? Ive never had them but what about this senario.. You get a nail in your nice shiny BMW and you think, Oh great I can keep driving to garage. When you arrive, no suitable tyre at the garage. What then?
    I cant understand why car makers went for them if they cannot officially be repaired

I thought they were designed to withstand a certain number of miles at a certain max speed without being damaged.

One manufacturer is changing policy at least

http://www.etyres.co.uk/consumer-information/puncture-repairs-run-flat-tyres.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I cant understand why car makers went for them if they cannot officially be repaired

The alternatives to runflats are :

1. Full size spare wheel
    2. Space saver (Skinny) wheel
    3. Tireweld, or equivilant

There are disadvantages to each of these that runflats overcome. A full size spare is expensive, and bulky to include. Tireweld is a great temporary fix, but isn't overly safe or hugely reliable. And the major issue with the space saver spare wheels, is that they're generally limited to 50mph, and a very small journey.

Runflats, while not the ideal solution to every issue, allow you to drive on 1-4 flat tires for up to 90/100 miles in theory. In practise, I did almost 200 miles on 2 flat tires in a MINI a few years back, and had I had a spare wheel, I'd have still been immobile.

So there are disadvantages to runflats - they're harder than normal tires, and a bit noiser - but there are advantages too.
    When you arrive, no suitable tyre at the garage. What then?

To be fair, they're so commonplace now, that most garages have them in stock. And if on the odd chance they don't, and you're really really stuck, you can still fit a non runflat tire they have in stock to your wheel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭brundle

How much is an 18" runflat for BMW 520d approx (manufacturer apprroved tyre) I was seriously considering a 520d but i think it invalidates the warranty not to use them so that is a possible serious outlay for tyres just because of puncture.

How often do you get a puncture that its a major factor in deciding on a car? Last 50000 miles I've not had one!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,445 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

ned78 wrote: »
    The alternatives to runflats are :

1. Full size spare wheel
    2. Space saver (Skinny) wheel
    3. Tireweld, or equivilant

Or worse, like in my car. A deflated space saver plus a 12V compressor to inflate it :)

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    Or worse, like in my car. A deflated space saver plus a 12V compressor to inflate it :)
    I have that combo too. Wonder how my 22-year-old deflated space saver would stand up if needed..

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

MYOB wrote: »
    How often do you get a puncture that its a major factor in deciding on a car? Last 50000 miles I've not had one!
    My neighbour has had to replace 6 runflat tyres on his 5 series so far this year. :eek:

Then again, he tends to horse it along on poor roads.

My neighbour has had to replace 6 runflat tyres on his 5 series so far this year. :eek:

Or his tyre shop has a habit of 'losing' boxes of tacks inside new tyres? :P

That seems extremely abnormal even for poor roads if the tyres are being fitted correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Or his tyre shop has a habit of 'losing' boxes of tacks inside new tyres? :P

That seems extremely abnormal even for poor roads if the tyres are being fitted correctly.
    LOL :D

Just wondering, and I hope this doesn't sound silly, but can one replace the runflats with ordinary tyres and just throw a standard spare in the boot?

Is there a recess for a spacesaver in the Beamers? A full size spare would be a bit awkward I suppose just sitting on top of the boot floor.

Would the tyres would have to be replaced in pairs?

Yes it is a cost that would really have to be looked at now in relation to a BMW. Even 1 a year at probably €300 a corner is too much. I pay big money for my cars but I dont wish to spend another penny on them apart from servicing and to have a car which can swallow up €300 any day of the week is just madness.

My non-runflats I've seen for nearly €200 a pop, so its not THAT huge a premium... you could just replace all 4 with 'normal' tyres and get a spare at the start if you're that concerned about.

My non-runflats I've seen for nearly €200 a pop, so its not THAT huge a premium... you could just replace all 4 with 'normal' tyres and get a spare at the start if you're that concerned about.

You are missing the point. The differnece is you dont throw yours away when you get a nail in the thread. So really it is a huge premium. Also BMW have warranty issues with removing the run flats!, strange as that may sound

A €6 repair versus a €300 repair... sounds like a premium to me

brundle wrote: »
    Yes it is a cost that would really have to be looked at now in relation to a BMW. Even 1 a year at probably €300 a corner is too much. I pay big money for my cars but I dont wish to spend another penny on them apart from servicing and to have a car which can swallow up €300 any day of the week is just madness.
    If it's any help, my mother has a 320d for the past 18 months. During this time, she has had 2 punctures, both of which were repairable. In each case, she could continue driving on the puncture until it was convenient for her to have it seen to. Mind you, her car is quite bumpy, even on the standard SE-spec wheels (16", I think). To fit 18" rims with RFTs to a 520d would be absolute madness, IMO. As regards the replacement cost of tyres, I wouldn't give it too much weight - the money is peanuts compared to what you'll lose in depreciation - particularly if you like your cars in any way well-specified.

You are missing the point. The differnece is you dont throw yours away when you get a nail in the thread. So really it is a huge premium. Also BMW have warranty issues with removing the run flats!, strange as that may sound

A €6 repair versus a €300 repair... sounds like a premium to me

I do, or would as it hasn't happened for AGES, actually. Eagle F1s, wouldn't trust them after a repair the way I drive...

I do, or would as it hasn't happened for AGES, actually. Eagle F1s, wouldn't trust them after a repair the way I drive...

That is nonsense. I dont care how you drive, a tyre is perfectly safe after repair to thread provided you dont drive on it flat. It wont blow out as the construction of the tyre prevents that and even if the little peace of rubber that blocks the hole happened to fall out, that would cause a very slow deflation. So you probably give the tyre guy a fiver to dispose of your tyre and he then finds a new home for it.

Do you also replace 2 tyres at a time doubling the penalty as if there is any wear on the tyres and if you drive like you do, You would need both tyres to be pretty much worn in the same

• Advertisement

I don't think he's going to find a home for a single second hand 195/45/V tyre, to be honest. Primarly because I think anyone else with a similar car is unlikely to be using second hand or repaired tyres. These are high speed rated units, not domestic car ones, and I'm not trusting a blob of rubber melted over a hole to hold together, particularly as my car is known for using front tyres like they're going out of fashion.

But as I've said, I've not had a puncture in 50,000 miles anyway.

firstly you should possibly be replacing an axle set so he would have 2 good tyres. Secondly the repair isnt melted over the hole, it is a rubber strip that plugs the hole and is pretty much 100% safe.
    I currently have 245/45 ZR 18 michelin pilot sport and drive them reasonably hard and have repaired one and have 100% faith in it.

A plug is probably even worse than melting something in to a hole, as goes possibility of coming away from the tyre at speed.

Wouldn't trust a repaired tyre on my car any more than I'd trust the 30 quid Russian specials my local tyre place does. My car, my cash. So if a manufacturer specifically says NOT to repair a tyre the low chance I'd even risk it would change to leaving the car there till they get a replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

LOL :D

Just wondering, and I hope this doesn't sound silly, but can one replace the runflats with ordinary tyres and just throw a standard spare in the boot?

Is there a recess for a spacesaver in the Beamers? A full size spare would be a bit awkward I suppose just sitting on top of the boot floor.

Would the tyres would have to be replaced in pairs?

You can replace the run-flats with standard tyres, but you'd have to buy a spare, jack and wheel brace. Did it for a customer recently on a 520d because he'd heard "the ride is really rough on the run-flats".

The swap was done at the dealers so we managed to exchange the run-flats for non-runflats and only pay for valves and balancing. Spare tyre, jack and wheel brace were about €250.

There is space for a spare in the 3 & 5 series (don't know about the Mini), so if you already have the car you could pick up the Spare etc. from a scrap yard.

A plug is probably even worse than melting something in to a hole, as goes possibility of coming away from the tyre at speed.

Wouldn't trust a repaired tyre on my car any more than I'd trust the 30 quid Russian specials my local tyre place does. My car, my cash. So if a manufacturer specifically says NOT to repair a tyre the low chance I'd even risk it would change to leaving the car there till they get a replacement.

From following your responses here, it appears you dont have run flats so what are you talking about when saying the manufacture specifically says not to repair your tyre? Are you driving a jap imported 'yoke'?

From following your responses here, it appears you dont have run flats so what are you talking about when saying the manufacture specifically says not to repair your tyre? Are you driving a jap imported 'yoke'?

I was referring to the original post re: getting run-flats repaired. I drive an Italian 'yoke' where they don't make any particular pronouncements about repairing the tyres...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Do you also replace 2 tyres at a time doubling the penalty as if there is any wear on the tyres and if you drive like you do, You would need both tyres to be pretty much worn in the same

It killed me to do it but I had to do this only recently. Herself drove over a glass bottle which required a patch to be put inside the tyre (Eagle F1 coincidentally). The chap at my tyre centre said it was perfectly safe & he wouldn't repair it like that if he didn't think so. Anyway 3 weeks later she drove over a metal sign on the ground ripping the side wall off the other front tyre! :(
    I couldn't get an Eagle F1 at short notice so I went for a pair of Goodyear Excellence for three reasons (well four really , the other was I couldn't get F1s:D).
    1. I was still not convinced about the patch
    2. I wanted the two tyres to have the same wear (I have just replaced nearly every component of front suspension recently)
    3. I wasn't sure about having a directional tyre on one side & a normal one on the other.

As a side note has anyone else had difficulty getting Goodyear Eagle F1s (apart from the likes of Eiretyres)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭blackbox

Anan1 wrote: »
    I have that combo too. Wonder how my 22-year-old deflated space saver would stand up if needed..

+1.

Mine is "only" 14, but I keep tyreweld in the car. Using the deflated space-saver would definitely be a last resort.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,445 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Anan1 wrote: »

Indeed. And if I remember right, the max recommended speed with it is 100km/h, not the standard 80km/h that comes with most modern space savers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

I am amazed. Are ye sure? Ive never had them but what about this senario.. You get a nail in your nice shiny BMW and you think, Oh great I can keep driving to garage. When you arrive, no suitable tyre at the garage. What then?

You get a nail in any tyre, and it can't be repaired.

Advertisement