Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plasterboards and Jointing Compound

Options
  • 10-09-2008 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have stripped my walls back, expecting to see plaster, but found plasterboard. Now I have been told that if I clean down the boards well; I can apply jointing compounds to the boards and wouldn't need to plaster it - does this sound right ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭builditwell

Hi Smoggy

There is some truth in that you can use this for sealing exposed areas of the board (as in where the paper has come away from the board surface) but it is only realy for jointing and they will never be perfect no matter how much attention you give them. You can sand this stuff but it is not worth the hastle. The best solution is to polybond up the walls with a good 2-3 coats to ensure a sealed surface and skim the walls. The end result is a smooth job for wallpaper or paint. Im sure you have seen walls where people just got lazy and papered over old debris left on walls. Looks terrible.:(

Regards
    Builditwell

Advertisement