Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hard Drive Query

Options
  • 10-09-2008 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭

Not too sure if this is the right forum so mods please move if necessary.

Basically I have a desktop computer that is fubared beyond belief and we'll be upgrading soon.
    But it had a nice 120gb hard drive that I want to hold onto. So I opened it up and basically I want to know is there any wires or connections I could get to hook the hard drive up to my laptop when I take it out rather than losing it?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

All it requires is an external hard drive enclosure. Then you can connect it via a USB port.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/kl.aspx?mfr=&bn=10095&sortBy=p&minprice=&maxPrice=&zbo2=false

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Ok and the Hard Drive just plugs into that then?
    You dont need to take any wires from the old computer out with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Frisbee wrote: »
    Ok and the Hard Drive just plugs into that then?

Yes.
    Frisbee wrote: »
    You dont need to take any wires from the old computer out with it?

No all the wires required will come with the enclosure.

It probably a 3.5" drive and you will need to find out if you have an older IDE (aka PATA) drive or an SATA drive and the buy the appropriate enclosure. External enclosures also require their own power source so you will need a free plug socket.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

sink wrote: »
    It probably a 3.5" drive and you will need to find out if you have an older IDE (aka PATA) drive or an SATA drive and the buy the appropriate enclosure. External enclosures also require their own power source so you will need a free plug socket.

Yeah I wasnt too sure what the 2.5" and 3.5" meant...
    And I know its a SATA.

Cheers man

Advertisement