Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pulse Security?

Options
  • 10-09-2008 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭

Anybody know what the story is with the lads going around campus in the high vis security jackets? Saw about 4 of them outside the library today.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

There're 22,000 students at UCD, the size of a large town. Any town that size would have several police patrolling, we have a private security firm.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Yeah but I thought that was Services job? Must have subconed it this year.
    Wonder how much that cost seeing as funding for courses is being cut down this year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Flume

Thats a bit ridiculous if its true. Plenty of jobs after being cut in places thats needed, i.e offices etc.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

They tend to bring in extra security at the start and end of term - normally when the weather's fine there'd be a lot more out of control drinking on campus. I did see four bouncers on the student bar at 7pm this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Thats what I was thinking alright, just strange to see them outside the library though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ucd13

security has always been outsourced it used to be to ISS but the contract changed to Pulse on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

In about 2 weeks you will see a lot less of them around as things calm down. Although i have no problem with their highly visible presence. Its good to see a bit of security around the place

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Pulse Security replaced the security which had been on Campus on the Wednesday thursday and friday.Apparently the other security were to laxadazy.From my experience with pulse all I can say is that they are a shower of c**ts.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

Harsh. What happened for you to take that view? I haven't seen much difference between them and the guys who were doing security before now, except maybe the jackets...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭scop

There're 22,000 students at UCD, the size of a large town. Any town that size would have several police patrolling, we have a private security firm.

When I came to UCD security was rare, and no bouncers manned the bar. This is a new innovation, and one I dislike intensely. Drinking in a bar with four security men at every corner outside the Forum bar is plain retarded. Maybe people these days feel the need to have hired muscle to feel safe drinking, but I for one think they provoke more nonsense than avert.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Zounds

My impression is that Pulse security are here for Freshers' Week. Mainly the tent itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

yeah it's always upped around freshers week, it will be relaxed as the weeks go by.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Given that someone got stabbed in Roebuck last year it's hardly surprising that the bouncers are necessary. I feel a lot safer with them, and in six year's I've had little hassle from them at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭scop

Red Alert wrote: »
    Given that someone got stabbed in Roebuck last year it's hardly surprising that the bouncers are necessary. I feel a lot safer with them, and in six year's I've had little hassle from them at all.

I dunno. I don't mean to suggest they are dodgy or any bother, but sometimes it seems like overkill to me. It's a little nanny-statish is for me, but I'm not going to lose sleep over it. And sure somebody got stabbed, but what difference did it make to have these guys here? Did they ring the police faster after arriving 10 minutes later from one of their strolls about the place? Bikes still go missing at an alarming rate, the mad drunks still drink, and so on. What happened to good ol' social responsibility?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

Two years back I saw a bunch of lads putting bikes from the engineering bike racks casually and without too much haste into a horse trailer at around 11 pm. Called services to notify them of the blatant mass theiving... thier response? "we will look into it" in an equally casual and carefree manner.

I reckon they swap over security regularly as after a while some of the lads are on the take.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

"Lack of common sense", "superiority complex" and "power trip" seem to be the phrases that spring to mind from my own experience and the experiences of others that I've heard about...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

There's two of them constantly walking up and down in Glen. Its pretty annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

gubbie wrote: »
    There's two of them constantly walking up and down in Glen. Its pretty annoying

They are always around Belgrove

Advertisement