Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So whois doing SIOC?

Options
  • 10-09-2008 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭

Wont bother asking for ideas I've done things like this before , everyone is always top secret!

I will say I'm trying to do mine in python (seems easier for parseing the data) however I've never really used it properly. Bit of a learning curve!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭DaSilva

Hey could you explain what this is? I looked at the wikipedia page but found it confusing.
    Wikipedia wrote:
    SIOC provides methods for interconnecting discussion methods such as blogs, forums and mailing lists to each other. It consists of the SIOC ontology, an open-standard machine readable format for expressing the information contained both explicitly and implicitly in Internet discussion methods, of SIOC metadata producers for a number of popular blogging platforms and content management systems, and of storage and browsing/searching systems for leveraging this SIOC data.

:confused:

If you could explain a basic application of SIOC or a laymans explanation I might get it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 uasal2000

sioc is one of the offshoots of the semantic web that Berners Lee has been describing as the evolution of the internet.

Basically the idea is that although presenting data on the web is a great thing, it would be far more beneficial if we described the meaning of the data.

This has already been present many years in the for of rss where you would say have a list of 'items' which can have a 'title','description', and/or 'link'. Furthermore you could describe your data further in an rdf document (e.g. dublin core which describes 'author', 'published date' etc). You see the benefits of this more these days with browsers directly supporting rss feeds in addition to rss aggregators, allowing you to collate data from different sources and see the latest info from several sources in one place.

SIOC is a standard much like rss which proposes to give common semantics to social sites e.g. Facebook, Linked in, blogs.

An example app would be a blog aggregator.

Advertisement