Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5 yr old in cockpit lol

Options
  • 10-09-2008 7:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

spotted this thread so thought id chance me arm.
    Our 5yr old daughter is plane mad.
    She reads books about planes, watches vidoes on youtube and we take her to knock airport for a day trip regularly.
    She wants to go for a plane ride so were gonna book a flight.
    What are the chances of the pilot letting her into the cockpit for a look around?
    Any air flight staff around to anwer that one? thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Foggy43

At BA I have only known this to be allowed after the aircraft parks on stand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 glynngo

someone pmmed me and said - no way.
    i suppose one has to consider the safety aspect of allowing someone into the cockpit too..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Book a private flight in a cesna or something. Would be much better than a commercial flight anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

glynngo, there would be a good chance of it on the ground, try have a chat with the senior flight attendants and explain the story. The smaller airlines like Aer Arann would be more accommodating.

Whoever said no way is being a little bit harsh ! Anything can be done :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭FOGOFUNK

Post 911 this has gotten difficult, I remember when I was young I flew jumpseat in a ryanair 737 the whole way from glasgow.

The captain even let me make some anouncements.

Gone are them days.

• Advertisement

Depends on the pilot too maybe..
    I had a lovely pm form a guy who just invited us out to waterford for her to have a look at some planes and have a sit in the cockpit etc.
    He also gave me a link to the sligo aeroclub, membership is 250 euros but think i will contact them and see if we can go just for a look around.
    Trouble is she gets so excited about seeing them taking off and landing that she would pester us all day to get her inside one lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭diverdriver

On the ground, maybe. In the air no hope whatsoever. Pilots have been fired for allowing someone into the flightdeck. Post 9/11 that's the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Its against most companies SOP's to allow people not staff/ops into flight deck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭alpha2zulu

The chances of being allowed into the cockpit in flight are pretty much zero nowadays. However visiting the flight deck on the ground at the gate happens all the time. I think most of the Irish airlines would oblige as long as you have any half agreeable Captain up front! I'd hazard a guess that perhaps EI and RE may be a little more accomadating given their longer turnaround times.
    As somebody else pointed out introductory flying lessons at local aero clubs are actually pretty reasonably priced, definetly worth a look at;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭diverdriver

However, there is the Young Eagles event organised by the Irish chapter of the EAA. Every year they take children flying from Coonagh airfield in Limerick. I have no contact numbers or anything but I'm sure someone here has. Failing that check out the FlyinIreland forum. http://www.flyinginirelandmagazine.com/main/

• Advertisement

there is a course i was considering doing - a fear of flying thing, dublin airport do one, its very reasonably priced at under 200 euro.
    Having said that, there are probably more rules about taking very young children on courses etc.
    she will have to settle for a trip from knock to dublin with aer arrann.

thanks for that link- very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

From what I've seen, it's only possible on the stand on commercial flights. My 5 year old has got into number Aer Lingus and Ryanair cockpits once parked on the stand. Most crew seem to be very accomodating.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Flyer1 wrote: »
    glynngo, there would be a good chance of it on the ground, try have a chat with the senior flight attendants and explain the story. The smaller airlines like Aer Arann would be more accommodating.

UNfortunately no chance inflight. ON the ground is hit and miss,depends on the skipper and if they are actually doing something at that particular time.. Mos EI guys (and gals) would welcome a youngster in for a minute or two during boarding but more likely during disembarkation. Its a quick tour but kids love it,flick on/off all the warning lights,terrain warnings,radar screens,show the throttle and control stick and the tour is over. Ask the crew as you board with her. Being close to last off can help as the flight crew may hae left and the cabin crew could show her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭ch252

Well the trick is, wait until the end to dis-embark, and it may be better for her to ask. the rule that is in writing for aer arann is basically no paying passengers on the flight deck, but from talking to a pilot there its much like holding a security door for another member of staff, technically not allowed but in certain cases if its safe then the pilot may allow it. So basically, don't ask in the air, and be the last do exit, ask then. Thy may genuinely not be able to let ye up because they could be working with ground crew and all the rest, pilots are very busy while on the ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 double yellow

Hi Glynngo,

You actually have the same surname as the man who wrote the VFR Ireland guide. Don't suppose that you have a Kevin Glynn in your extended family?!! I posted a coupl of replies on the other forum you have asked this question but in case you read here first I suggest you take a look at www.ultraflight.ie who are based in Abbeyshrule along with another friendly flying club called Aero Club 2000 and they are organising a fly-in and free BBQ for families on September 20th. I would almost say for definite you could arrange not only a tour of the hangar but possibly even a flight if you hang around long enough.

the glynn name in my case is my husbands, and the story goes that his great grandad was french and had a row with his father, and thought he'd killed him. he stowed on a boat and ended up in plymouth and was found and had to declare his name, he picked the name glynn.. no one knows what his real french name was..
    if you can beleive that..lol

• Registered Users Posts: 35,004 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

During my first ever flight, when I was eight, the pilot asked did any of the children on board want to come up into the cockpit for a look.

I had forgotten about that. Thanks for reminding me! :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

o1s1n wrote: »
    During my first ever flight, when I was eight, the pilot asked did any of the children on board want to come up into the cockpit for a look.
    Operated a flight to Lappland about 8 years ago. We organised cockpit visits on the way up....156 passengers,about 2/3 kids,i think 130 took advantage of the offer,took over an hour to get everyone in.

Advertisement