Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commerce with chinese studies??

Options
  • 10-09-2008 7:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

HEY!!
    Doin the leavin cert nd tinkin of doin commerce wit chinese studies, but my friends nd family r like ''why would u want to do that?''.
    It sounds REALLY interesting nd i was wondern if anybody is doin it wud they tell me wats it like exactly? is learnin chinese really hard?
    R any other relevent information.:)

Cheers!;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭graduate

Doin the leavin cert nd tinkin of doin commerce wit chinese studies, but my friends nd family r like ''why would u want to do that?''.
    It sounds REALLY interesting nd i was wondern if anybody is doin it wud they tell me wats it like exactly? is learnin chinese really hard?

Is this written in Chinese?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Please learn to speak English before you go learning Chinese. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

I hrd its lik de bestest cours evars, lik srsly... U cud ordr frm da chinese lik in dere langaugez n stuf!!!!!

But seriously, as far as I know, the layout is the same as other Commerce international courses. The list of modules is here. If it is like other Commerce international courses then you'll spend a year abroad (in China). Also, asking if something is 'hard' to learn is more a personal thing - different people, different aptitudes. But, I wouldn't say learning any language is easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭pepsi1234

I took Chinese as an elective so I can't comment on the Commerce bit.
    I took Stage 1 in first year, studied it on my own in second year. I then took a year out to study further in China while teaching english to support myself. And when I came back I took Stage 3 chinese.

Chinese can be easy and hard. Grammar is very simplistic. Pronunciation is quite hard. Starting writing the characters is hard at the start but once you know a few hundred to just combine them to make the rest and can in fact guess the meaning of new characters then (as they are mostly pictographs).
    Nouns and vocab is very easy to learn, they are mostly bisyllabic and compound nouns. for example computer= electric brain, TV=electric screen film=electric shadows, telephone=electric words, mobile=hand machine aeroplane=fly machine, helicopter=up fly machine, bread=flour wrap, noodles=flour strips, you get the picture
    Right now after 4 yrs of study I have an advanced level and was doing some TV work over there this summer as well.

If you are considering going to China, being able to speak Chinese opens so many doors. Life in China is extremely extremely comfortable for foreigners. I lived like a king for a year and foreigners are treated like mini-celebrities.
    oh and China does have propaganda but not nearly as bad as the western anti-chinese propaganda, so don't be brainwashed!!
    Don't believe everything you hear about China, chinese people, pollution etc because when I got there I realised most of it was untrue or exaggerated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 daffy-duck

my sisters boyfriend is doin that course and he thinks its BRILLIANT!! he said its like really randome because ya go out for class dinners to like real authentic chinese restaurants and ya do tai chi and deadly stuff like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

daffy-duck wrote: »
    my sisters boyfriend is doin that course and he thinks its BRILLIANT!! he said its like really randome because ya go out for class dinners to like real authentic chinese restaurants and ya do tai chi and deadly stuff like that.

OMG loike wow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Fionngus

I do it, serious course. Oh course alot, i mean alot of effort required.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭maninasia

To be brutally frank you must live in China or a Chinese speaking country for a number of years before people can even understand you properly and you can use Chinese fluently. It doesn't open up doors in business so much as opens up doors to another culture.
    You still need an expert background in something to do well in China (there are 100s of millions of Chinese learning English).
    This is coming from somebody who has a good level of Chinese after many years of study and practice. It helps, but it's not going to be a big earner on its own and it takes Sh%tloads of time and effort. Speaking wise and basic conversation it's not so difficult, but to get to the level you feel comfortable for business, a long time. It's not neccessary in 95% of business transactions. Having it does open doors and gives you greater confidence and opportunities but really only in China at present and even then it's more about your connections , education and work experience. When tourism from China really takes off that will also open opps.

You don't neccessarily get treated well in China as a foreigner, it simply depends on your position.

Chinese takes 5 times the time of an average foreign language to get fluent. It takes years to get to the level to read a newspaper. As such you can imagine how long it takes to get comfortable reading an official document.

Advertisement