Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Grand Vitara Commercial

Options
  • 10-09-2008 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Ive read around the forums but haven't found an answer to my question yet. I want a cheap jeep for a small bit of towing, carrying kayaks and using to drive up boreens e.t.c when I go hillwalking. Mainly just to save my new car from scrapes, under body damage and soaking the seats and boot with wet gear.

I'm thinking of bringing in a 5 seater Grand Vitara from the UK (the commercial version isn't as popular over there ... i've only found 1 so far, but the price is great).

When I brought it back here, I was going to take the back seats and belts out and tint the back windows. I only need two seats.

Hence only paying the €50 to get my plates here and paying €280 tax a year.

Is this possible or will the VRO office give me hassle when I go to register it?

Sorry if this has been asked a million times before.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

are you thinking new or old model?

If you're going old model, commercials can be had over here for silly money. the long wheelbase XL7 based commercial has loads of room, but the PSA sourced turbo diesel is as slow as a wet week.

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭^whitey^

Older model. Don't want to spend alot 3,500 Euro maybe. I cant find anything like that on the Irish sites be it commercial or not. I can find loads on UK sites 2000 -2003 with 50,000 ish miles.

sounds like a plan. factor in travel costs as well, could be a fair chunk on top of what you're paying for the jeep. Line up a few Vitaras to look at, don't limit yourself to just one. Leave yourself plenty of time.

You'll need to make the floor flat as well as the things you listed above.

Also consider a Santa Fe 2.0 CRDI, should be similar money to the Vitara, but nicer to drive and more modern
    Both jeeps have their problems, so watch for signs of abuse or hard work.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

tbh, I think you're looking in the wrong direction............

First of all, the Suzuki is horrible to drive, and isn't light on juice. It's also noisy and a bit crude. Reliable, mind, but that's about it.

And, unless you actually go off-the-road, I'm wondering if you really need an SUV at all. Builders (and others) traverse crap roads and sites all the time in conventional vans and pickups -

Me, I'd look outside the box...... Like This....or something similar.......

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Jaysus Galway TT, that's a feckin truck!

how bout this Hilux Surf commercial?
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Toyota/Hilux/car/1155888/

1155888_20080802020831_1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

Jasus lads, hold up there a minute
    The OP is looking at a suzuki Vitara, probably the smallest commercial 4x4 available and yous are suggesting a crewcab truck and a 4x4 an american could get lost in!!
    I looked at a few vitaras before I got the terrano. It might be worthwhile keeping the seats in the back and going private.
    1: its only a 2L diesel so tax isnt too much more expensive
    2: its always handy to have the extra seats (you realise this when you dont have them)
    3: could be easier to resell as a private car
    4: NCT every 2 years instead of DOE every year

Weigh up the pros and cons before you buy, I also heard that they are tightening up on taxing vehicles commercially.

Advertisement