Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Front Brakes scrapping sound on an BMW E36

Options
  • 10-09-2008 7:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭

when i press my brakes there is a sound as if something is scrapping/ catching does this mean the pads are worn? i changed them over a year ago or so

When stationary and if i pump the brakes it sounds like an air leak pump

any idea what this is?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Pads are worn. Get them replaced because it will start eating at the disks and they're not cheap! That 'air leak' sound is normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Noise could be caused by a pebble lodged between the disk and the calipers.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭seanie500

so if its a pebble stuck is it pretty straight forward to have a look at it myself?

If the pads do need replacing how much does that cost?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

probably cost roughly what it cost the last time,the big question is how many miles have you done since the were last changed?

tossy wrote: »
    probably cost roughly what it cost the last time,the big question is how many miles have you done since the were last changed?
    Probably €40 to 50 on pads then labour, maybe €50.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

seanie500 wrote: »
    so if its a pebble stuck is it pretty straight forward to have a look at it myself?
    Yep, remove the wheel and inspect.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Pads on the E36 is a DIY job. All you need is an allen key and flatblade screwdriver to prise the caliper open. 1hr job.

Andrewf20 wrote: »
    Pads on the E36 is a DIY job. All you need is an allen key and flatblade screwdriver to prise the caliper open. 1hr job.
    You'll have to squeeze back the pistons with a big grips, he needs them. I dought he will have one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭seanie500

Have an Allen key and screw driver

the other tool that just a vice grips?

so basically jack up one wheel take off Caliper and pad is behind this? is it really a very straight forward to do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

Plug wrote: »
    You'll have to squeeze back the pistons with a big grips, he needs them. I dought he will have one.
    any sort of a G-clamp will do

• Advertisement
Advertisement