Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ford Ka

Options
  • 10-09-2008 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭

Any advice on removing stuborn rear hub on Ford Ka. Can you retract shoes through the backing plate opening.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Sean02 wrote: »
    Any advice on removing stuborn rear hub on Ford Ka. Can you retract shoes through the backing plate opening.
    Theres four 17mm bolts on the back of each hub. When you remove them the drum will come off. The bearing is attached to it aswel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Use a persuader, pic attached...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭blackbox

I did this job once and made a right bags of it (97 or 98 Ford Ka1).

The nut to retain the hub was made up of laminated sheets, presumably a form of self-locking nut.

I made the mistake of thinking that these sheets were locking tabs for a regular nut and tried to bend them and ended up cutting them off with a chisel.

I can't remember how I got it off in the end, (i.e. which type of brute force) but I had to buy a new nut and borrow a huge socket to replace it - definitely much bigger than 17mm.

Try to get your hands on a manual such as Haynes.

blackbox wrote: »
    I did this job once and made a right bags of it (97 or 98 Ford Ka1).

The nut to retain the hub was made up of laminated sheets, presumably a form of self-locking nut.

I made the mistake of thinking that these sheets were locking tabs for a regular nut and tried to bend them and ended up cutting them off with a chisel.

I can't remember how I got it off in the end, (i.e. which type of brute force) but I had to buy a new nut and borrow a huge socket to replace it - definitely much bigger than 17mm.

Try to get your hands on a manual such as Haynes.
    Did one last week and it was deffo four 17mm. Are you on about the front?

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Sean02

Sorry apologies to all. meant to say Drums not hubs. its a 04 job. I've tried the persuader with no luck and the hand brake is off. Advice appreciated.

• Advertisement

Sean02 wrote: »
    Sorry apologies to all. meant to say Drums not hubs. its a 04 job. I've tried the persuader with no luck and the hand brake is off. Advice appreciated.
    Yep read my first replie above;)
    What are you trying to do, replace the shoe's?

yes never had this difficulty removing drum on other cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭blackbox

Plug wrote: »
    Did one last week and it was deffo four 17mm. Are you on about the front?

Hi Plug - maybe they have changed the design - mine was a 97/98. Found this on the web - the centre hub nut I described appears to be 30mm.

http://www.howtomendit.com/answers.php?id=79385

Of course, maybe I did it the hard way. I wish I'd had a manual.

Job done, thanks everyone, first wheel took ages second easy. Bearing and cage need careefull handling and positioning.

Advertisement