Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Lidl in Ballybrit/Doughiska? (near NCT centre)

Options
  • 10-09-2008 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭

Hiya,

Was down at the NCT Test centre recently and noticed that there is a new Lidl going up beside it. Anyone know when its due to open? A quick google didn't yield an immediete result..

Ta :)
    A
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

First I'd heard of this. I live pretty close, will save me having to put up with traffic while shopping. No more using the local Centra for odds and ends when needed. It's amazing how so little can cost so much in that Centra!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

oooh this is great

I cycle so traffic affects me very little

And I have been deploring the fact that Lidl is so far. I love Lidl!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Cole

I hope they put in a decent car park, unlike the disaster on the Headford road.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

There's an aldi going up too around doughiska. Not sure on its location though

Aldi Schmaldi. Lidl for president!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bass Cadet

I encourage every Galwegian to use Lidl and Aldi as much as possible. Dunnes and Tesco are feeling the pinch!! Use Aldi all the time myself, just wish they had a Deli and salad counter!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭balu

Just compare prices. For example:

Chicken Nuggets 500g at Dunnes €5.99
    Chicken Nuggets 480g at Aldi €2.99

And at Aldi it's even 100% Chicken Filet.

This all sums up...

In Sligo, the produce at Lidl often looked better than that at Dunnes (certainly Tesco's but Sligo's Tesco is abysmal - I hear Galway's are better)

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Hennybug

There's a Lidl going into the new shopping centre in Oranmore as well

Today I went to Lidl and bought air fresheners, toothpaste, mouthwash, 2 toothbrushes, 2 chocolate bars and a packet of sweets. Forgot to add that I got shampoo too.

Total cost? 9.72euro

Had I gone to Dunnes it would have probably set me back closer to twenty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Cathal01

Why do they have to make them so damn ugly? They are eyesores...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Cathal01 wrote: »

Ugly is cheap. Pretty ain't. What do you want to pay for?

Personally, I find estates with dozens, if not hundreds, of houses that all look the same to be vastly more offensive than the occasional big-box retailer: they may be ugly, but at least there's only a few of 'em.

Pat the Baker 'Toasty' White sliced in Centra : €2.07
    White sliced loaf (substantially heavy, not full of air) in Lidl : €0.60

The profit on a loaf of bread in Centra alone will buy you two loaves in Lidl, and you'll still have change left over!

Have you seen the Briarhill shopping centre? :eek:

Dear God. It's hideous - looks like it's from the 1960s.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Cathal01

JustMary wrote: »
    Ugly is cheap. Pretty ain't. What do you want to pay for?

Personally, I find estates with dozens, if not hundreds, of houses that all look the same to be vastly more offensive than the occasional big-box retailer: they may be ugly, but at least there's only a few of 'em.

It's not difficult to make it a little less obnoxious. Just because it sells cheap products doesn't mean it has to be so ugly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Yes it does. Ethos etc. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭leex

Xiney wrote: »
    Have you seen the Briarhill shopping centre? :eek:

Dear God. It's hideous - looks like it's from the 1960s.

Very true.

It's not difficult to make it a little less obnoxious. Just because it sells cheap products doesn't mean it has to be so ugly.

I thought that all Lidl stores looked identical, until this one went up in my hometown.

1.jpg

More pics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

I've been keeping an eye on it (I live across the road), they're still doing the carpark (so there's ample parking I'd say), they are taking a bit of time. It's so bloody frustrating that they put the sign up first... oh well.

As for the briarhill shopping centre, why did they build it backwards... with it's back to the community!!! I want to boycott them just for making the road I live on ugly, and no pedestrian entrance on the side the pedestrians side!! At least Lidil faces the right way!!

OK, update on the Lidl in Doughiska, the carparks been done, they seem to be finishing painting the outside. They haven't started stocking it yet

The countdown continues

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭lampsie

Excellent... ta for the update, keep em coming :cool:

:)

lampsie

I was in the existing Lidl over the weekend, and asked a member of staff if he knew when the Doughiska Lidl was due to be opened. He told me that the 'target date' is the 23rd of October. So, at least another 3 weeks wait.

Awwww

I'm gonna run out of laundry detergent way before then :(

To Headford Rd it is :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

just passed by the new lidl in doughiska this evening and they were inside stocking up the shelves, just in time for the recession. any ideas when they're opening?

just passed by the new lidl in doughiska this evening and they were inside stocking up the shelves, just in time for the recession. any ideas when they're opening?

A couple of weeks ago, a member of staff in the Headford Rd Lidl told me that they had a target date of Thursday the 23rd. It could be any time between now and then though.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Bonzodog

I think this is almost certainly going to finally kill off the Londis at the entrance to the estate there, and some people are speculating that Centra will be badly hit. It seems Dunnes opening did not affect Centra that much, but I suspect Lidl will.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭leex

Advert in GA today - opening 23rd.

Well folks, yes, it did say the 23rd, that's this Thursday. I imagine Londis won't be as affected as you think, it makes a big amount of it's profit as a restraunt and is open when Lidl is closed.

Folk will go to Centra as a pop in shop still. It was quiet affected by the Dunnes opening actually, more than Londis. All in all, I just don't want to go to Dunnes, for a start it's facing the wrong direction for pedestrians and secondly, A BLACK BUILDING??? It says everything about the attitude of Dunnes to the environment of the community it's built in!!

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭jasonh

isn't a lidl suppose to be opening in oranmore?

is there any rumours of one opening in Athenry - it could well do with one!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

jasonh wrote: »
    isn't a lidl suppose to be opening in oranmore?
    Yep, December as I know.

Advertisement