Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No-pasta lasagne

• 10-09-2008 8:54pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Doing the low-carb thing but I really love lasagne. I've heard that you can make it, using roasted slices of aubergine to replace the pasta.

Anyone heard of this as well or have any recipes??

thanks

Taco

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Jaysus you know if Boards weren't free, I think I'd pay for it. This place is fantastic!!

Thanks Moonbaby!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭mags16

taconnol wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Doing the low-carb thing but I really love lasagne. I've heard that you can make it, using roasted slices of aubergine to replace the pasta.

thanks

Taco

Wow, that sounds like a great idea. I might try to make it in a few days. I have loads of home-made bolognese in the freezer. I'll roast the sliced aubergines, make a bechamel sauce and assemble as normal. Top with parmesan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

taconnol wrote: »
    Hi guys,

thanks

Taco

How are you gonna replace the flour in the Beschamel sauce?
    without going all italian here, any dish called lasagne contains pasta. like any dish called pizza contains bread, or like wine contains grape, or like a pilaf contains rice or like a dal contains pulses.

There will be sugars in the onions and tomatoes in the ragu if you use them too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

...isn't this what Moussaka is? Or is it? ...nevermind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

How are you gonna replace the flour in the Beschamel sauce?....

There will be sugars in the onions and tomatoes in the ragu if you use them too.

The OP said low carb, not no carb.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

...isn't this what Moussaka is? Or is it? ...nevermind.

Yes, but Moussaka is usually made with lamb, and there's a whole load of cinamon, nutmeg and mixed spice that doesn't appear in lasange.

I saw a Jamie Oliver recipe where he used Butternut Squash, there was also pasta but you could take that out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭ruprect

without going all italian here, any dish called lasagne contains pasta. like any dish called pizza contains bread, or like wine contains grape, or like a pilaf contains rice or like a dal contains pulses.
    It is a alternative, like veggie burgers, people like the taste but do not want the meat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I don't remember the OP saying "I want a vegetarian option".

OP, just look up a recipe for moussaka and make it with either beef or lamb mince, whatever suits you.

OP, just look up a recipe for moussaka and make it with either beef or lamb mince, whatever suits you.

I'm not trying to convert anyone MAJD. :D
    I just think that taconnel is a veggie.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭ruprect

Dunno if that is aimed at my veggie burger comment. My point is the OP is probably fully aware that lasagne should technically contain pasta as mentioned, just like a real burger should have meat. My point is that it is an alternative, just like people substitute cow for sheep in shepards pie.

I love lasange but despise any moussaka I have had, probably the nutmeg.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭xxdilemmaxx

Hi,

This is a really tasty lasagne recipe, just put two layers of courgette and leave the layer of pasta out altogether....

http://www.channel4.com/food/recipes/healthy/cook-yourself-thin/light-but-luxurious-lasagne-recipe_p_1.html

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Thanks for the replies guyes

Moonbaby - you're almost right, I have a veggie boyfriend so tend to veer towards veggie options & don't eat a whole lot of meat.

Minesajackdaniels - Good point on the moussaka :D I suppose a lasagne made with aubergine and a moussaka aren't a million miles away from each other.

Carawaystick, yep I'm just going low carb. There's a fair difference between the sugars from the tomatos and other veg and eating a plateful of pasta.

We all know that tradtionally lasagne should contain pasta, heck it's the name of the actual pasta shape! But I was asking for an alternative. It's something similar to the "cauliflower mash" and I've also heard about making spaghetti out of courgette, using a peeler to make it into fine strips.

Thanks for the recipes everyone!

That is so selfish of you Tacconel.
    There are only 4 male vegetarians on the Island.
    How am I going to procreate!

Moonbaby wrote: »
    That is so selfish of you Tacconel.
    There are only 4 male vegetarians on the Island.
    How am I going to procreate!

AND he's Spanish! So I get a hot Mediterranean veggie (I should start calling him my pimiento!). Woohoo!!

Technically Ireland's quota of 4 male veggies are still out there, floating around for you to find, as I imported mine :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭mags16

I just made the lasagna/moussaka/bake this evening. I layered bolognese, roasted aubergene and then topped with bechamel sause, mozzerella and parmagiano. It was tasty but I'm not quite sure how much I like aubergenes!! I might have to think of another low carb pasta alternative.

Advertisement