Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scrambled Eggs for protein

• 10-09-2008 9:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭

Right .. starting the day with scrambled eggs for protein .. sometimes in the evening too as a stack. Trying to keep to the high protein here.

Right now I make them with a bit of butter and milk in a pot and chuck about 3 eggs in. Should I be using this butter / milk at all? Am I taking away from the goodness?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Eating milk and butter with your eggs won't detract from the egg's goodness, it'll simply add more calories to the meal! Eggs are the best wholefood source of protein you can give your body - they're complete proteins, very satiating, and full of nutrition.

The only real reason you'd want to stop using milk is if you were on a low-carb diet, as the milk sugars will add significantly (realtively speaking when you're low-carbing) to your carb intake, and the only thing you need to watch out for with butter is your overall saturated fat levels.

Personally I make my eggs with a little grated cheese and almond oil, as I find the milk makes my eggs too watery.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

You only need a tiny bit of milk - max 1 table spoon per egg.

Add some chopped onions.

I <3 scrambled eggs.

edit - microwave them if possible. I find this less messy in terms of washing up afterwards (no scrubbing the bottom of a pan).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Who said onions? Bloody good idea and dam tasty !

As for milk .. guess I'm gonna have to cut it out then .. hope they don't taste ****e tomorrow without it !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

Random wrote: »

As for milk .. guess I'm gonna have to cut it out then ..

Why's that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Dont cut anything out of your scrambled egg, throw in whatever makes it tasty for you. Enjoy the meal dont cut back on small bits like 50 ml of milk and 5g of butter, its nothing in the grand scheme of things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

cozmik wrote: »
    Why's that?
    +1:confused:

The amount of milk used would be very small.

If you are worried about the fat get a good nonstick pan.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

As for milk .. guess I'm gonna have to cut it out then

You don't have to cut out the milk. Try a table spoon of milk per egg. If that is not to your liking try two per egg, etc.

I used to put heaps of milk in but it just takes ages to get to scrambleville that way.

Someone mentioned low carbs and that milk was bad in this ?

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I use about the same amount of milk per 3 eggs as Id put in my tea. ie not a lot. I dont think a small quantity is going to load you with carbs, so Id see no problem in continuing to use it.

Separate issue: are there cholesterol problems to consider if you eat a lot of eggs? (Family history of high cholesterol.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Yeah if you were drinking a lot of milk in a day it would be, but a little in your eggs won't do any harm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭holly1

I joined again for the third time over the years and I know this time it will work,It has to.
    I also think a good leader is half the battle,but they are thin(pun)on the ground.Is there anyone around the Clane/Sallins/Pros/Naas/Celbridge area who could recomend a good leader,Please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭holly1

Sorry the wrong thread.I ment to put it under Loosing Weight,could the mod move it please. Sorry again.

Milk is around 5% carbs. Some people might be drinking 4 litres a day, a litre is around 1kilo so they would be on 200g of sugar (lactose).

5% of a tablespoon is nothing to worry about though!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Right now I make them with a bit of butter and milk in a pot and chuck about 3 eggs in. Should I be using this butter / milk at all? Am I taking away from the goodness?
    No way! Now you are making me hungry. I take a couple of eggs and a dash of milk, throw that in a blender, beat it up, then pour it into a frying pan coated with KerryGold butter. Yummmmmmmmm! Oh, my stomach is growling now!

For those getting off of all this talk of eggs ( ;) ) I'm just sat here with some scrambled eggs, big chunks of onion in it and a nice layer of black pepper :)

(black pepper .. what category does this fall into???)

Thanks for the info/thoughts lads .. learning as I go !

For those getting off of all this talk of eggs ( ;) ) I'm just sat here with some scrambled eggs, big chunks of onion in it and a nice layer of black pepper :)

Thanks for the info/thoughts lads .. learning as I go !
    Huuuuuuuuuungry!:D

Worrying about the spoonful of milk is one thing, but pepper!!!

It is just a spice and the quantities used are so negligible that there is no need to worry about its nutritional values. I use all sorts of spices to liven up bland stuff like chicken fillets. Go to the Asian shops and you can get loads of stuff. Some are intended to be made into pastes but I just use them as a dry rub, e.g. tandoori spices.

I make oat pancakes and sometimes mix curry powder in and dip them in sauces. I also make onion bhaji type pancakes. You can get gram flour (ground chickpeas) and I liquidise it up with an onion and curry powder and a little water, the onion adds lots of liquid. Then fry them up, gram flour is very high in protein.

Ah yah .. I'm not worrying about pepper as much as trying to educate myself further as I go.

THanks for the info anyhows !

rubadub wrote: »
    You can get gram flour (ground chickpeas)

FYI

From Wikipedia

Gram flour is a flour made from ground chana dal, a lentil similar to chickpeas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gram_flour

This bean looks just like yellow split peas, but is quite different because it doesn't readily boil down to mush. It's more closely related to garbanzo beans, or chickpeas. The differences are that chana dal is younger, smaller, split, sweeter, and has a much lower glycemic index. But you can substitute chana dal for garbanzo beans in just about any recipe.

http://www.mendosa.com/chanadal.html

cozmik wrote: »
    Gram flour is a flour made from ground chana dal, a lentil similar to chickpeas.
    Thanks. I had browsed that page before but missed that. When you go to these asian shops they can have loads of different names for the same thing. The low GI is interesting, seems its GI is only 8 (yes EIGHT!).

I imagine you could make a hummus type paste from it too, and it is fairly cheap too, think it was 2.50 or 2.80 for a kilo.

Mine per 100g is
    359kcal
    protein 21.6g
    carbs 54.3g
    of which sugar 2.4g
    fat 6.1g
    of which saturates 0.9g
    fibre 6.3g
    sodium 0.35g

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Chana is a chickpea, its the Hindu word for chickpea.

...sorry ignore me chana dal is different. I should check before I contradict really.

BossArky wrote: »
    microwave them if possible. I find this less messy in terms of washing up afterwards (no scrubbing the bottom of a pan).

The best (and healthiest) scrambled eggs are put straight into a non stick pan and whisked until they are cooked, nothing added, they are tasty on their own - make sure you use free range for best flavour. Microwaving anything should be avoided as it changes the constitution of the food making it much more difficult for our body to digest.

Grainne C wrote: »
    Microwaving anything should be avoided as it changes the constitution of the food making it much more difficult for our body to digest.
    Ive never heard of this before, can you link or elaborate? Cos I nuke loads of stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Sounds like a myth

Davei141 wrote: »
    Sounds like a myth

logged off early last night sorry but if you google this there are plenty of sites explaining in more detail, basically microwaving food is bad for you!

http://www.greenlivingonline.com/HealthNutrition/the-dangers-of-microwaving-food/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

Microwaving food reduces the amount of nutrients that are available to you upon eating afaik. It's kinda like when someone overcooks veg that they're so soft and squishy, they've prob lost half the goodness. Not sure how much of the nutrional value microwaving food causes it to lose

There haven't been any wide-scale, peer-reviewed journal studies on the impact of microwave cooking on food structures.

In a review of research, we have found that microwave heating, for the most part. impacts food nutrients in much the same way as other forms of heating. The microwaving of food creates greater nutrient loss when higher heats are created, when heating is extended over a long period of time, or when food is heated while being submerged in water. Each of these principles applies to stovetop cooking as well.

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=george&dbid=227#answer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

Hey isn't it true that when cooking eggs if you break the egg yoke you oxidise all the nutrients in the yoke?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

cooked eggs have considerably more biovailability than raw eggs, that is your body can absorb/ use the nutrients much easier.

• Advertisement

It's kinda like when someone overcooks veg that they're so soft and squishy,
    I read a few things on microwaving, and never once did they mention how long the stuff was cooked for. You read posts in some forums that go something like "if you reheat beans in a microwave they are toxic", and my question was, so if I cook 1kilo for 2 seconds on defrost they are toxic?- no reply...
    if you break the egg yoke you oxidise all the nutrients in the yoke?
    I heard that too, and was a reason to fry eggs intact or hard boil them. I wouldnt worry too much, just have another egg if you are that worried!

I got some turkey mince and mixed it in with the gram flour, then made burgers, they come out nice, sort of like sausage meat, and they are very clean, i.e. no juices running out on a george foreman grill, the flour absorbs it all.

Advertisement