Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TIPS FOR WHATS COMING UP 09'

Options
  • 10-09-2008 10:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

OK so basically if anybody has any tips on what might be coming up post them here. i went to the institute of education in august for the intensive revision course nd they basically said that john keats nd elizabeth bishop where coming up nd the theme of isolation for macbeth. For french the teacher said watch out for informal letters nd irish watch out for an mhathair, jack,gealt,cearrbach mac caba nd lig sin i gcathu

so get posting with those tips!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

Derek Walcott has to be a possibility for English. What with him being a new poet and everything.

I'd stear towards Montague coming up as well. Been a while since he came up tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

been told urchill an creagain is very likely to come up in irish.hope it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Boo-urns! You have 8 and a half months to go. Study instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 ryanj

for one, the exam hasn't been set yet. secondly, no one person sets the paper; various people send questions into the state examinations commission who pick the most suitable questions for the exam, so I'd say Keats and isolation aren't dead certs. there are always rumors like this floating around, be prepared for many more as the year goes on...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

OK so anybody with tips on what is coming up POST THEM HERE for everybody to see. i heard from somebody who knows the person that sets the english exam that John Keats and the theme of isolation for macbeth are definetly coming up;)

so get posting with those tips everybody:)

If someone actually told you that, and you believed them, you deserve to fail :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭jessie11

Just done the leaving...
    i took shortcuts and listened to the so called tips...

its potluck...i got away with it in some papers and not in others,id advise you not to do it:)

Accounting especially the whole paper was changed this year and the sequence that there was before is gone so they might be doing it with other papers

good luck:D

ps its september,just start studying now and you wont need tips:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Lol, wouldn't it be fantastic if the people setting the exam read this thread and purposefully didn't include anything mentioned here in the exams? :pac:

Obviously it would suck for ye actually doing the exam, but I would find it hilarious!! :D

Seriously though - do not rely too much on tips. There are no guarantees.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

Listen to the Leaving Cert Radio programs on 2FM the week before and during the exams. They gave great 'predictions' this year. The english teacher predicted 4 out of the 5 poets!

Also....for english. There is ALWAYS at least one female poet, and one Irish poet. Sbe so, in theory, just doing the 2 female poets would be enough...or the Irish poets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

blue-army wrote: »
    Listen to the Leaving Cert Radio programs on 2FM the week before and during the exams. They gave great 'predictions' this year. The english teacher predicted 4 out of the 5 poets!
    5 poets? :confused:
    And yeah, it's pretty good but doesn't always work - I remember they being very confident that "An Mháthair" would appear on our Irish paper.
    Did it? Not at all.
    Also, they were sure that isostasy would come up in Geography. Unless it was there in invisible ink, I didn't spot it. :(
    Also....for english. There is ALWAYS at least one female poet, and one Irish poet. Sbe so, in theory, just doing the 2 female poets would be enough...or the Irish poets.
    Be careful with this. There is nothing in the curriculum that says that an Irish and a female poet must both come up. It has been the trend for years, but it is not a guarantee.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

ryanj wrote: »
    for one, the exam hasn't been set yet. secondly, no one person sets the paper; various people send questions into the state examinations commission who pick the most suitable questions for the exam, so I'd say Keats and isolation aren't dead certs. there are always rumors like this floating around, be prepared for many more as the year goes on...

The setting of all the 2009 exams is well underway.

You're right, no one person sets the papers, but neither is it a free for all send in questions method.

There's always one spoofer who says they or their 'friends' know the setter. They don't. Actually, maybe they do, but there would be no way they 'know' they know the setter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Well I'm pretty sure that HL Maths will have a couple of questions that involve the letter "x".

Not sure though.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭K-Bowie

Jay P wrote: »
    Boo-urns! You have 8 and a half months to go. Study instead.

Only 8 and 1/2 months sh*t better get started cya folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭liverpool lad

Ya i agree with the people saying that did the exams last year (because i did too) that you can be lucky and unlucky with the tips,but it is still good in a way. Nobody knows whats going to come up on the paper except the people setting it obvisouly and there not going to leak it at all, so there is no point whatsoever in your teacher knowing someone or you knowing somebody. My parents and the majority of my aunts are teachers and they never have a clue whats coming up untill they see the paper. In saying that, there are a few obvious things that should come up one year to the next like: Biology: there probably will be a huge focus on reproduction(both plant and human)since there was only a short question on last years paper. Irish: well, to be fair irish i'd imagine will be very unpredictable this year (according to my mam aswel)because there is two higher level poems that have yet to come up (an Mháthair and Dá mbFheidir arís dár gCumman) and theres 3 years left for that course so if any you'd be looking at only one of them to come up but i wouldn't be suprised to see an t-oiléan there.

Anyway, I used this site a lot last year and found it to be very helpful so people should use it for their tips anyway throughout the year and since a lot of my family teach a range of subjects i'll keep people informed if i hear anything.. GOOD LUCK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

I've recently come across a brilliant exam tip. A surpirsingly large number of teachers take great pleasure in advising this one.

GO STUDY (not too much now though, it's only september).

Relying on tips like that rarely goes well. It's best to avoid them really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Ancee

Best tip: go to school, pay attention in class, do all your homework thoroughly, ask questions if you're lost/don't understand and you'll be fine - based on my experience!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Davidius wrote: »
    Well I'm pretty sure that HL Maths will have a couple of questions that involve the letter "x".

Not sure though.

Nah that's just hearsay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 daffy-duck

this is actually a pretty good thread when ya tink about it. my business teacher told us to know contract law and the seven steps developing a product and then she winked so were all taking this on board because her husband has something to do with the department of education.
    so hopefully it will pay off;)

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭K-Bowie

daffy-duck wrote: »
    this is actually a pretty good thread when ya tink about it. my business teacher told us to know contract law and the seven steps developing a product and then she winked so were all taking this on board because her husband has something to do with the department of education.

I also heard about this aswell Business is a subject I'm strong at so hopefully its true :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭~Candy~

i am kinda worried about accounting, since what happend to the08 LC, would they do the same again this year...

wat happened to the 08' leaving cert??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

It was three months ago...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭postalservice

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055316241&highlight=accounting

It wasnt so much what questions came up as what the questions actually were like.:confused:

They marked it easy though thank god.:)

ok so heard the economic variables is a possible question on d business paper. whoop whoop

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

My guess:

Poetry in English - Longley, Mahon, Montague, Bishop. I'll be surprised if 3 of those don't come up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

I've a weird feeling that Mahon, Bishop and Rich are gonna come up for English.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I've a weird feeling that Mahon, Bishop and Rich are gonna come up for English.

Rich came up last year, and they dont have a habit of coming up 2 years in a row.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

Mahon and Rich came up last year I'm sure. They wouldn't make a habit of bringing them up again would they? This is supposed to be an unpredictable paper though. As for poets to study, every time a new poet has come on the course, that poet has appeared on the paper. So I'd learn Walcott and learn him well.

It's been a while since the Witches appeared in the Macbeth question as well, just another possibility.

Advertisement