Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The College View - what d'ya think?

Options
  • 10-09-2008 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

This year the College View is changing hugely, and I mean HUGELY, with more pages, a new design and better writing. We've already got together a larg editorial team, but before our first issue of the new semester, we want to get more ideas for the paper from other students, and so that's where you guys come in.

We want to know what you think the College View should be writing about. I was the news ed. of the last issue back in April (and will be again for this year) so believe me when I say that there is no such thing as a stupid suggestion. We also want to know what you liked or hated about previous issues of the paper (including the last issue - don't hold back now!) and even if you hav any ideas about a new title for the paper, an idea that the editorial team have been tinkering with lately.

The team is really serious about improving this paper and making it something that all DCU students, from Nursing to Engineering to Humanities, will read and will be proud of, so any ideas whatsoever will be fantastic.

Thanks a lot, and don't forget to pick up a copy of the new and improved College paper in early October!:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Paddy-Megans-Lo

Oooo im starting journalism (1st year) in September... Do you allow 1st years to contribute articles or help out oranything? I'd love to get different experience from various places other than the experience i already have!

I haven't read the college view before but ..
    • maybe some good information for incoming first years, cause Cao, registration, accepting offers can get a bit confusing (it definitely was for me!) and hand it out on the open day?
    • Even some insider info and tips on the best way to go around DCU, best shops nearby to buy from, tips on different student meals on a budget, good places of accomodation, cheap places of nights out etc.. which im sure there are plenty of tips to be gotten from the various posts on boards!
    • Maybe do student profiles and interviews...like fashion section and interview and photograph students and their styles and influences, tips on fashion, places to shop, how to be fashionable...same with music and DCU bands, their influences, their sound, places they gig, how to get into music, advice to musicians...
    I'll keep thinking of more ideas lol ... :):)
    • Maybe a 'whats hot and whats not in DCU' section which changes in each issue?

whats hot and whats not in DCU...
    Sounds a bit too campus mag for my liking...

Honestly, I loved reading the college view and felt it was the only honest literature around the campus...

I would like to read more about work behind the scenes in societies and also some "hard hitting" stories about campus life such as sponsorship by companies of events and yet ticket prices being higher than previous years...I do like the idea that there is a paper out there that isn't afraid to tell it like it is in regards to college life and isn't blinded by the SU...ie, not everything that it does is rosy...

Whatever you do though, don't try and be the nubar or campus mag - a failed attempt at being funky, modern and cool...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

Whatever you do though, don't try and be the nubar or campus mag - a failed attempt at being funky, modern and cool...

agreed. I don't mind campus, it's grand for what it is (a bit of a light read with some info on what's happening on campus) but I don't want that from the college view. Focus should not be on funkiness, bright colours or anything like that. When I read the college view I want something interesting and honest. Hell, I'll put it even more simply, I'll 'read' campus for the pictures, I'll actually read the college view.

So yeah, I'm not looking for anything too fancy or 'new' in the college view, just good, well written, well edited articles. Come on you journalism students, show me what ya got! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭mehfesto2

Totally agree.

An Tarbh is god-awful though. I mean how many pictures of Blonde Mikey Robinson does any one magazine need?! :pac: :D

I like the college view. Great alternative.
    I always thought there should be more emphasis on small gig reviews around Dublin, preferably Irish bands. You could examine the societies. See if they are too 'clique-y' like some people say.

One point I found out during the week is that foreign students in DCU are finding it so hard to adapt, that the local church in Ballygall (The Mothe rof Divine Grace) is asking for people to accept these students over for Sunday Dinner on occasion. Why aren't they being accepted by Irish students in DCU, could be an interesting topic to explore.

Or even something like sexual practice in DCU. Find out if we Irisih really as educated and safe as we were made out to be in that Durex study. Could be a good one for Ragweek or whenever the safe-sex promotions are.

Thats just my 2cents!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭jennZ

I agree. There might be interviews with International Students, tips for them or just general/funny info on their countries. I saw (from College view's website, the issues were old though) that there's a travel section so people can give advices bout their country's capitals and so on.

The advice comes from a Bulgarian, of course. :D

p.s. I hope it's really not that hard to integrate into DCu...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 mchalem4

Right so, some reaaly good points there so thanks a mill for that.

I've got to say that as a guy that wrote in almost every issue of the paper last year, including the hard news stories, Im really happy to see that it has been appreciated and hopefully will continue to be in the coming year.

I'd agree with you points about it not being like Campus - in reality its an outlet for the SU to promote its good deeds like it's doing us a huge favour. Personally I think that because we voted for them and because they are paid (no matter how menial a wage) from the university, it should be totally acceptable that we, the students should hold their actions to account at every opportunity. But hey, that's just my 2 cents :D.

I've seen some good suggestions already so hopefully I'll private message a couple of you in the next few days to discuss them further. In the meantime I want to hear more of them people!!!;)

I have to say, I do like the cut of you jib...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭corkkaz

hey totally agree with some of ye, college view is always something to read , and is actually pretty good i must say.

i agree bout campus ever count the number of pictures of certain people - talk bout modesty :D:D

not part of college view but did anyone see the student handbook on dcu website? you would think dcu is five people :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭blacon

College view is a fantastic paper. I hope you guys stick to the roots after your changes take place.

Being on the committee of the newly founded DCU Airsoft Society, and also being a writer, if you guys are aiming to give more of an insight into societies i could write an article about our work or about the sport of airsoft. Perhaps a 'Promising new clubs n socs' section for the beginning of the year :p

Seriously though keep up the good work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 cviewarts

Do you allow 1st years to contribute articles or help out oranything?

I haven't read the college view before but ..
    • maybe some good information for incoming first years, cause Cao, registration, accepting offers can get a bit confusing (it definitely was for me!) and hand it out on the open day?
    • Even some insider info and tips on the best way to go around DCU, best shops nearby to buy from, tips on different student meals on a budget, good places of accomodation, cheap places of nights out etc.. which im sure there are plenty of tips to be gotten from the various posts on boards!
    • Maybe do student profiles and interviews...like fashion section and interview and photograph students and their styles and influences, tips on fashion, places to shop, how to be fashionable...same with music and DCU bands, their influences, their sound, places they gig, how to get into music, advice to musicians...

[I hope Mr McHale doesnt mind me gatecrashing his thread.. :D ]

Hey,
    Yeah we do indeed let first years contribute - we love to get them when theyre fresh and enthusaistic!

The things you have suggested are likely to be covered in Campus magazine which is another publication within the college. But fantastic that youre coming up with ideas and showing an interest! The fashion thing you have mentioned will be possibly appearing within the arts section (what I'm in charge of), but a few things have to confirmed within the next couple of weeks..

Mahfesto2, I'd be keen to follow up on the suggestion for smaller gig reviews, but the problem Im afraid I'd have is trying to get people willing to them. It's definitely something I'll have a think abotu though.

There'll be a few different things within the arts section [and the whole paper too of course] which I've been thinkin about a lot.
    A few of ye have mentioned societies, but I'm not sure it thats more for Campus? Im open to suggestions of course!

One more thing, thanks for the positive comments guys, its great to see that people actually like what we're doing and read it.
    Finally, anyone with any questions or suggestions just pm me here or email thecollegeviewarts@gmail.com.. thank ya :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 mchalem4

By the way, if you've a spare second have a look at the brand-spanking new website, www.thecollegeview.com, and leave your thoughts here. Once the first issue of the semester comes out (week 4), it'll be updated with all the latest stories and writers' blogs!!

It's a shameless plug, I know, but hey, we're students - shameless is who we are!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

As a graduate, I'd like to say the best thing you can do in college if you;re a JR is get involved in something like this. Write as much as possible, do as many things as possible for it while you're there. Join in DCU FM (if it's still around). Employers are far more interested in what experience you have than what final grade you got imo, evidence of which is fact nearly everyone in my class who got a first class honours is no longer involved in journalism. No job is too small and enthusiasm is everything.
    Good luck with the College View this year. Mchalem my only advice would be get something current up on the website, doesn't have to be too interesting but looks a bit out of date, even if it's just a list of stuff that's happening in clubs and socs week etc (I'm still involved as a graduate in a club there).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Choco

Just to say to the previous poster - as the Website Editor - you're right, we do need new stuff on there. Hopefully more and more exclusive-to-the-web content will be placed on it as the year goes on but to start with we've put up a load of Clubs and Socs photos, which are pretty cool to have a look through...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Anybody have any thoughts on the first two editions?

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭figs86

Picked one up the other day (vastly improved circulation and availability - there are small stacks of them lots of places on campus, very neat and none fecked all over the place)....

...in short, it's a huge improvement on last year, well-written articles (maybe a bit mad with the shock! horror! DCU accommodation costs 2-300 more a year than trinners or ucd....who have old accommodation that is worth less and building of which is paid for long ago)

well done, keep it up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

Yeah, I really like it. There's a good mix of everything in it and I particularly like the sports coverage.

Good work and keep it up!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭stringy

very well put together, good balance, nice themes throughout, but why so sensationalist?? all i can see is tabloid journalists in the making. is there no good news to right about? or how about some balanced comment?

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭:|

It has definitely improved since last year, seems to be more people around campus reading it too

stringy wrote: »
    very well put together, good balance, nice themes throughout, but why so sensationalist?? all i can see is tabloid journalists in the making. is there no good news to right about? or how about some balanced comment?

Being a design editor, my main area of focus is along those lines. But if you want to expand on that I'll pass on the link of this page to the respected editors in case they haven't seen it.

Sensationalism has been mentioned before. However, I think it is a direction from the top rather than individual reporters or subeditors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Choco

As the website editor, and one of the people in charge of designing issue two - I know I personally wanted it far more sensational on the front page than it came out. But I was overruled on that (by the person before and others on the team.)

Overall though, it isn't really that sensational, is it? It's just very much to the point, no, in a paper that has VERY limited space to get as much in as possible? And, just to put it out there, is there really anything wrong with being sensational?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Choco wrote: »
    And, just to put it out there, is there really anything wrong with being sensational?
    Well what happens when you do get something sensational? Do you make it extra sensational? I haven't seen the new issues but would also advise the journalists to use the Freedom of Information Act to get info from DCU and also from Dept of Education about DCU

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Tiroskan

needs moar proofreading.

I do like it, but I noticed at least 3 (fairly obvious) typos in one article that couldn't have been more than about 100 or 150 words alone. And while the writing was good, I always got jerked out of my 'groove' whenever I stumbled across a confused homonym or just plain misspelled word.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Tiroskan wrote: »
    needs moar proofreading.

Oh the irony :D

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Tiroskan

deise59 wrote: »
    Oh the irony :D

uh, it was a joke...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Anon69

Tiroskan wrote: »
    needs moar proofreading.

Yea, that paper needs to get itself some decent subs. Whoever they've got now aren't up to scratch.

Anon69 wrote: »
    Yea, that paper needs to get itself some decent subs. Whoever they've got now aren't up to scratch.

There should be far fewer mistakes in the third edition which is out tomorrow (Wednesday), or at least there should be little to no major errors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

hmmm, nude trinity wimminz from 'TDC', with no article, in the 'News' section... nice reporting...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

monument wrote: »
    There should be far fewer mistakes in the third edition which is out tomorrow (Wednesday), or at least there should be little to no major errors.

Still more proofreading needed my name isn't spelt like that damnit! :D

plus I may be moving to trinity giggdy giggidy:D

cocoa wrote: »
    hmmm, nude trinity wimminz from 'TDC', with no article, in the 'News' section... nice reporting...

Firstly, they are not nude. :)

I'll put my hand up and admit the "TDC" bit is down to my (unproven) dyslexia. Err... it annoys me I inserted that mistake.

But besides that, it's a stand alone picture with a bit of text. I think there's been two or three in the last editions since September and there's three in this edition.

It maybe is slightly big (it's the space we -- the layout team -- could fit it in). But, as with a lot of stand alone pics, its a bit of fun and for about something for charity (tbh I'd personally have more problems with the news value of the story below it, but that too I suppose is subjective).
    Cliste wrote: »
    Still more proofreading needed my name isn't spelt like that damnit! :D

What would your name be and where would it have appeared?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

Yeah decent enough this week.

With relation to the "reality star hits back at critics" story, can anyone find the boards.ie user that described the group as "spoilt etc etc" because i cant and ive been looking for it. The only thread on the topic seems to be from here http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2055431493. I thought it odd that she didnt quote the username. Its a public forum afterall and shes free to do so. At first i thought it was abit odd, then maybe she was just quoting her own username and hiding behind it, then i cant find the quote at all. If anything the guy in question got positive reviews from that above linked thread. Im open to correction though, just having trouble finding it. Wouldnt it be funny to have a Monica Crowley figure at the college view. Scandal

Oh and wasnt the cocaine story pure and utter shite. I have never read such sensational trash, ever. "the guns used were not bought on ebay", "some magic beans by jack on his way to the market", "now hush hush,children and listen up", "mammy and Daddy", "whore of a hangover", "when craic becomes craic", "how fabulous did she look dead", "blood on your hands". The sentiment of the story was right but the execution was just utter garbage. Its was as though you gorged yourself on Pat mcgeehans work* then the next day took a enormous crap on your desk then desperately sieved through the contents looking for undigested scraps of words to string together. Hands stinking of ungodly foul odour you then proceed to stick your fingers down your throat in the hope of regurgitating unmetablised sentences. And the article is what was spewed together.I agree with what you say but how you said it was a differnet matter altogether.Were not ****ing children. The story had such great potential.

It was intellectually dishonest to suggest people took/take drugs because their mates do. People take drugs because its fun. Some see it as illegal, dangerous and damaging society whereas others see it as having a deep spiritual, meaningful experience that shapes and changes attitudes and perspectives in life. You could of surveyed the students of DCU and gauged their attitudes on drugs and drug consumption. It Would of been more relevent. There was a real chance to write something decent on a highly topical issue, get down to real issues but it wasnt to be. Another thing people dont use razer blades to cut cocaine. Its impractical and dangerous to have a sharp blade in your pocket/wallet. People use plastic cards, atms cards, credit cards etc. You should of shown a DCU student card separating the lines and used €5 notes in the photo.

/shrug

*literally.ripped stripes of his articles and forced them down your throat.

Advertisement