Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The College View - what d'ya think?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

monument wrote: »
    What would your name be and where would it have appeared?

Ciarán (not Cairan), the handball article. also a of got capitalised with the first letter of another guys name OFC....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭mehfesto2

c0rk3r wrote: »
    Another thing people dont use razer blades to cut cocaine. Its impractical and dangerous to have a sharp blade in your pocket/wallet. People use plastic cards, atms cards, credit cards etc. You should of shown a DCU student card separating the lines and used €5 notes in the photo.

/shrug

My photo there.
    And in fairness to me, the few times I've been in the presence of people taking coke, a blade was used more than once. And besides, putting a credit card beside a line of flour doesn't give the same image-effect. It's all semantics!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭sionnach

There should be far fewer mistakes in the third edition which is out tomorrow (Wednesday), or at least there should be little to no major errors.

Yes, no major clangers on the front page this time around, but still some errors:

further a field > "further afield"

Also the front page article on the old bar has new quotation marks at the start of every sentence within a single quote, a bit distracting for pedants like me (:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Oh and wasnt the cocaine story pure and utter shite.

It was a comment article. Just the view of one person. And unlike news or features, there's normally a bit more personality shown in the writing of such.

I actually disagree with what was said. And while how it was written wasn't fully to my taste, such things are very subjective.
    I have never read such sensational trash, ever. "the guns used were not bought on ebay", "some magic beans by jack on his way to the market", "now hush hush,children and listen up", "mammy and Daddy", "whore of a hangover", "when craic becomes craic", "how fabulous did she look dead", "blood on your hands". The sentiment of the story was right but the execution was just utter garbage.

Those quotes read more condescending than sensationalist.
    then the next day took a enormous crap on your desk then desperately sieved through the contents looking for undigested scraps of words to string together. Hands stinking of ungodly foul odour you then proceed to stick your fingers down your throat in the hope of regurgitating unmetablised sentences. And the article is what was spewed together.

Now that's what I call sensationalism. :)
    sionnach wrote: »
    Also the front page article on the old bar has new quotation marks at the start of every sentence within a single quote, a bit distracting for pedants like me (:

Err... that's the standard way for most newspapers. What newspapers have you seen it diffrently in?

(Although admittedly there is one point where a quote strings a few too many pars without any break, but that's a minor, minor thing compared to the mistakes in the last editions)
    sionnach wrote: »
    further a field > "further afield"

Which way was it?
    mehfesto2 wrote: »
    My photo there.
    And in fairness to me, the few times I've been in the presence of people taking coke, a blade was used more than once. And besides, putting a credit card beside a line of flour doesn't give the same image-effect. It's all semantics!

Stop it. Now the pretence it was real coke is gone :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Anon69

Monument: I take it from your comments that you are quite high up in the College View team. It is my understanding from talking to - unnamed - people that you also had a picture of males from the calendar. I am just wondering why you didn't run this as well in your publication? Why just the girls? WHY ALL THE SEXISM?

From looking at the list of your editorial team on the - it has to be said, quite good - website, I see the majority of your editorial team is female. I would have thought that with this in mind your publication would be a tad less sexist...

Also, with regards to your comment page cocaine story - I agree with one of the previous posters that it is complete nonsense. Saying that, that comment piece criticism is benign, when compared that comment piece by Laura Hogan. All I can say is: WTF!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

Cliste wrote: »
    Still more proofreading needed my name isn't spelt like that damnit! :D

plus I may be moving to trinity giggdy giggidy:D

You're leaving DCU C-ron?

Anon69 wrote: »
    Monument: I take it from your comments that you are quite high up in the College View team. It is my understanding from talking to - unnamed - people that you also had a picture of males from the calendar. I am just wondering why you didn't run this as well in your publication? Why just the girls? WHY ALL THE SEXISM?

From looking at the list of your editorial team on the - it has to be said, quite good - website, I see the majority of your editorial team is female. I would have thought that with this in mind your publication would be a tad less sexist...

Also, with regards to your comment page cocaine story - I agree with one of the previous posters that it is complete nonsense. Saying that, that comment piece criticism is benign, when compared that comment piece by Laura Hogan. All I can say is: WTF!?

Troll.

Troll.

I'll admit I was a little over the top with the sexism thing but then I figured you'd get the irony with the "College View" being so sensationalist and everything smile.gif

Anyway, I stand by what I said about those pieces in the "comments" section. Apart from Cristina Duffy's and Pauric McPhillips', even if the latter did read like an advert for Fine Gael, the rest of the pieces in this issue's comment were ridiculous. I'm all of opinion pieces but only if they're grounded in some kind of logic or informed thought.

Someone needs to tell those writing for "comment" that it isn't a soapbox where they can stand up and sprout whatever dribble comes to mind, Alan Averill take note, but a place where readers come get informed analysis on topics of importance and/or interest to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Choco

Anon69, you notice how all the authors you note are named and yet, you are nameless. Funny how you are only able to splurt your blabber behind an anonymous screen name. Or are you willing to tell us who the hell you are? As the Online Editor, I'm curious...

Choco wrote: »
    Anon69, you notice how all the authors you note are named and yet, you are nameless. Funny how you are only able to splurt your blabber behind an anonymous screen name. Or are you willing to tell us who the hell you are? As the Online Editor, I'm curious...

Nameless? It's an internet message board, why exactly would I use my rl name? You want the rl name of everyone else who's posted in this thread too? Or just those that have offered up some criticisim of the "College View"...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Choco

Anon69 wrote: »
    Nameless? It's an internet message board, why exactly would I use my rl name? You want the rl name of everyone else who's posted in this thread too? Or just those that have offered up some criticisim of the "College View"...

No. I'm merely stating how you are so brave when you have anonymity but that - and from the way you won't offer your name - you're obviously not as brave as our writers who offer up their name for the pleasure of being criticised by yourself, Mr. Anon69.

Choco wrote: »
    No. I'm merely stating how you are so brave when you have anonymity but that - and from the way you won't offer your name - you're obviously not as brave as our writers who offer up their name for the pleasure of being criticised by yourself, Mr. Anon69.

lol good one. As if there's anything brave about the stuff that's published in the "College View". No offence but despite what Laura Hogan may think, I don't think the Brian Cowen will be ordering the hit any time soon :)

I'd imagine that your writers offer up their name because they want to get credit for their work. If they can't take a little criticism on a message board then they're in the wrong business!

Anyway I quite liked this issue. Sports & Arts were good, Tech & Features were decent, News was up and down, and apart from two pieces comment was muck. Didn't read health so can't talk about it. So don't worry, it's not all bad :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

DCU is singular not plural, it's DCU is not DCU are

By the way if you're going to use source material from a national newspaper might be worth citing them, there's two articles at least that first appeared in a national newspaper

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Insulting_Bitch

Having attended college view meetings, I noticed that a lot of the bigger and more 'fun' articles to write are never mentioned at the meetings and suddenly they appear in the paper written by people who weren't even there....nepotism???

I would have more faith in the paper if friends of the editorial team weren't given such high priority.

Other than that, the paper is better laid out and the features section is pretty interesting. In saying that, it shouldn't be used as a platform for high horse rants, see the last three pars of the cocaine article.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 cviewarts

Having attended college view meetings, I noticed that a lot of the bigger and more 'fun' articles to write are never mentioned at the meetings and suddenly they appear in the paper written by people who weren't even there....nepotism???

I would have more faith in the paper if friends of the editorial team weren't given such high priority.

Really don't like what you're implying there at all.

I can only speak for arts, but yes, a lot of the things that appear aren't handed out in the news meetings, but there are very valid reasons for that.

Firstly, there are a team of four people involved in arts, so of course we take on a lot of them ourselves.

Secondly, sometimes I rather approach people myself to ask them to write a story for me - no, not because they're my friends but because they have proven that they are good writers, reliable etc. I'm not denying this for a second - it's a big risk to have your entire section in the hands of people you don't know, and you don't know how reliable they are. That's why I always have a balance between pre-arranged articles and stories that I hand out.

Thirdly, if something falls through in the last few days before deadline, you have to come up with something to fill that gap on the page. It obviously wasn't planned, so didn't appear at the news meeting.

Finally, people approach me with stories and ideas that they have done themselves, or they want to do. They don't need to be at the meetings as they have discussed it with me already.

There's a lot more that goes on other than what is said at news meetings. I'm sorry if you think that stories are being handed out to friends but that is not the case at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 mchalem4

So what do people think of the first issue of the new semester?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 camroc

I've just had a flick through, and I think it's pretty good. A decent variety of interesting, relevant and well written articles. There is a healthy diversity of opinions on important issues such as the reintroduction of fees, with the editorial being particularly notable for taking what is certainly an unpopular stance, but a very sensible one in my opinion. Good coverage of the old bar situation as well.

The College View is actually a very high quality publication in relation to any other student papers/magazines I've read. Congratulations are in order to those behind it for maintaining a good standard of journalism this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

I thought it was very good as well. Can't really ask much more for a student run college newspaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭loctite

cviewarts wrote: »
    Really don't like what you're implying there at all.

I can only speak for arts, but yes, a lot of the things that appear aren't handed out in the news meetings, but there are very valid reasons for that.

Firstly, there are a team of four people involved in arts, so of course we take on a lot of them ourselves.

Secondly, sometimes I rather approach people myself to ask them to write a story for me - no, not because they're my friends but because they have proven that they are good writers, reliable etc. I'm not denying this for a second - it's a big risk to have your entire section in the hands of people you don't know, and you don't know how reliable they are. That's why I always have a balance between pre-arranged articles and stories that I hand out.

Thirdly, if something falls through in the last few days before deadline, you have to come up with something to fill that gap on the page. It obviously wasn't planned, so didn't appear at the news meeting.

Finally, people approach me with stories and ideas that they have done themselves, or they want to do. They don't need to be at the meetings as they have discussed it with me already.

There's a lot more that goes on other than what is said at news meetings. I'm sorry if you think that stories are being handed out to friends but that is not the case at all.

Fun articles being kept for the "boys" or control freak? don't know which one is worse ..... although have to give credit for the attempt to smear McClave.... how about an article on how the SU is nothing but an absolute waste of students funds which could be put to a better use.... like refurbishing the Henry Gratten toilets perhaps??

I thought it was a nice touch that the three biggest contributors also wrote the readers letters :D

Agree with comment above, there seems to be very much a bias against anything the SU do and tbh, this doesn't make for good reading...

The cocaine article previously was very condescending and sort of turned me off the whole paper...

The editorial in this month's issue was pretty damn spot on and thoroughly enjoyed it...

• Advertisement

I thought it was a nice touch that the three biggest contributors also wrote the readers letters :D

At least we didn't make them up, use fake names etc.
    The cocaine article previously was very condescending and sort of turned me off the whole paper...

In any paper, comment articles are just the view of one writer.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 mchalem4

loctite wrote: »
    ..... although have to give credit for the attempt to smear McClave....

I don't really know what you're getting at here. Just to be clear, there was no attempt made by anyone in the paper to smear anyone in the SU. One of our reporters merely investigated the Old Bar situation as best she could and the information she found out was reported on, simple as that.

I think everyone would agree that if we didn't write about the Old Bar in this issue then we'd be failing all students, as this is what everyone is talking about at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

there seems to be very much a bias against anything the SU do and tbh, this doesn't make for good reading...

Tbh, you're going to get that with any newspaper these days. When was the last time you read of the Independent praising Cowen, or the Guardian highlighting the achievements of Gordon Brown? As much as we hate to admit it, the public prefer reading of the faults in bureaucracy rather than throwing praise at it left right and centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭andrew163

Agree with comment above, there seems to be very much a bias against anything the SU do and tbh, this doesn't make for good reading...
    I agree on this. There are problems with the SU but every CV article I've read on them feels like a hit piece. It gives the paper a similar feel to the free Metro tabloid (an awful piece of toilet paper) that gets thrown at you in the mornings at train stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

Well, if you report a story accuretly its more then likely going to have a negative view on the SU, it being an ineptly run, waste of money, CV padding exercise for all involved

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

Fuhrer wrote: »
    Well, if you report a story accuretly its more then likely going to have a negative view on the SU, it being an ineptly run, waste of money, CV padding exercise for all involved

Yep, I'm always seeing stories with this view which back it up with facts and evidence...

oh wait...

Learn to spell accurately and try to view the world without such a huge bias.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭loctite

mchalem4 wrote: »
    I don't really know what you're getting at here. Just to be clear, there was no attempt made by anyone in the paper to smear anyone in the SU. One of our reporters merely investigated the Old Bar situation as best she could and the information she found out was reported on, simple as that.

I think everyone would agree that if we didn't write about the Old Bar in this issue then we'd be failing all students, as this is what everyone is talking about at the moment.

I think my original comment is being taken the wrong way. My post was not meant to be a comment on the methods employed on how the article was written. To be honest, I couldn't care less if it was biased or not, or whether it was a personal grudge (to which, I am sure it is not).

My point was that the SU members are a waste of resources, and that money would be better spent on beautifying the Henry Grattan Toilets. I would agree with a previous post that being a member of the SU is purely a self interest. It is a CV fluffing exercise.

It sickens me that a portion of my registration fee goes to these fools for them to spend the year proporting to represent the student body. Well they certainly do not represent me! The position they hold is farsical with little or no benefit to the student body. For gods sake, they can't even organise a piss up in a bar!!

I think that the article on the fact that McClave basically lied about the old bar closing didn't go far enough. It was an abuse of his position. Misleading those who he deems to represent. "Off with his head!!!" I seem to be concrentating too much on the big McC. This is not a personal attack. It is against the SU in DCU in general.

I think the College View does a good job but does not go far enough. So I think you are failing the student body by not really analysing and criticising the SU position......:mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

cocoa wrote: »
    Yep, I'm always seeing stories with this few which back it up with facts and evidence...

oh wait...

Learn to spell accurately and try to view the world without such a huge bias.

No, way is much better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 boomboom

hey, anyone know when the next college view is coming out? I've something to plug :) lol

And have the interviews taken place for next year's team? ditto with campus - has a new editor been chosen or does that happen later on?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Slurmsy

boomboom wrote: »
    hey, anyone know when the next college view is coming out? I've something to plug :) lol

16th April. It would be on the 14th but the printers aren't working over the Easter weekend. The paper's being laid out this weekend so unless your idea is amazing, ok lets say good, it's not likely to get in :)

Pm me it if you want, I'm the CV's production manager.
    boomboom wrote: »
    And have the interviews taken place for next year's team? ditto with campus - has a new editor been chosen or does that happen later on?

Don't know about Campus but the CV interviews took place a few weeks ago (18th & 19th March I think). All the editorial positions are filled.

Saying that though, we're always looking for people. What area of the paper are you interested in?

Advertisement