Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Jaguar XF - Opinions?

Options
  • 10-09-2008 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭

It's won a What Car award, despite this, I can't see the visual appeal of this car. It looks so ordinary, and un-jaguar-ish.

It actually looks like a Hyundai:
    jagxfvf0.jpg

for a 75 grand car, it's just not looking special enough!

Does anyone here actually like this yoke?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I do, although I prefer its rear to the front. The interior's nice too. Of course, I've never driven one. And that hyundai comparison isn't entirely fair, given that you've squashed the santa fe to give it the same proportions.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Here's a more attractive picture of it...
    jaguarxf200930500kq2.jpg
    2008jaguarxfofficialsf1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭joeperry

when i see one i think straight away its looks like a mondeo

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

fair enough, the Hyundai has (obviously) been squashed, but the general styling of the cars are quite similar. in fact the Jag is very similar to the old Sonatas too.

03-ish model
    2005_Hyundai_Sonata_ext_1.jpg

96-ish model
    1996%20Sonata.jpg

If you were to stick a Hyundai badge on that Jag, and give out some marketing blurb about how it's an evolution of the previous generation Sonatas, nobody would bat an eyelid.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

After having a proper look at an XF in the flesh a few weeks ago I've got to say that I think it's very impressive. It looks especially nice in black, it goes well with the big chrome grille. The interior is very nice and his a solid feel to it. The pop up i-driveesque controller and the twist around vents on start up add a nice touch to a car that has a quality feel to it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

I think it's super - but I'm a big fan of Jag

• Registered Users Posts: 65,445 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Colm's at the photoshop again :D

I've seen a few XFs and I feel they look gorgeous! That said, I have my doubts about sales prospects. It might just be too modern for the traditional Jaguar buyer. Or maybe, just maybe, it might bring a new type of customer to Jaguar. Previous Lexus, BMW, Audi buyer?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

joeperry wrote: »
    when i see one i think straight away its looks like a mondeo

Agreed.

This XF does not look like a Jag should.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

I'm no jag fan, I think the s-type is one of the ugliest cars of the modern era, but I like that! The 5-series is a bit fussy with the styling, the E-class is a bit common looking and the A6 is now dated looking. That's kind of fresh while still being conservative! All they need now is to update that 2.7 diesel.

unkel wrote: »
    Colm's at the photoshop again :D

Nah, I didn't do anything to the Jag picture, it's actually supposed to look that boring.

Look at the S Type and X Type, and now this thing.
    who exactly are they trying to attract?
    they have a great brand with fabulous heritage and they keep churning out this muck.

The new badge looks wrong too. (and not in a Chris Bangle "you'll get used to it" sort of way)

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Look at the S Type and X Type

S-type looks great imho. Retro styling done superbly. It's done well for Jag commercially too iirc

X-type looks good, but cynically it's just a Ford Mondeo in disguise - something most buyers are probably unaware of
    who exactly are they trying to attract?

Yeah that was my point and my worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Does anyone here actually like this yoke?
    It's the weirdest thing; there was one parked in the car park of a client-office and we were all salivating over it. It looked more 'supercar' than Jaguar. People were just stopping to look at it.

Then I go back and google it. I've never seen any pic do it justice. You really need to see it in the flesh to appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I don't know, it's a little refreshing from the usual sheep mentality of flocking to German executive brands.

A brave move as it seems to be aimed at a younger audience than your traditional Jaguar saloon owner. Could end up with neither.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

great looking car, beautiful inside, doesn't look anything like any of the other cars on the thread either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

Lots of mixed responses!!

Lads, wait until you see the XF-R its a classy beast of a thing. Oh, and it goes like endangered stink:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

There is a black one goes my way in the M50's in the evenings, lets just say that the photo's don't do it justice.

There hasn't been much interest in it though, which is a shame. People at that level are still going for 525/530.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

I like its styling, but i preferred the lower faster looking concept they launched this time last year or so.
    It looks rotten in the gold colour everyone seems to have but ive seen a black one with cool looking wheels and it looks outstanding.

I think the idea was to shake up the jag brand less pipe and slippers more.... well not sure but i like where jags are going lately. I kinda liked the look of the s-type, most didn't, never liked the x-type.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

R.O.R wrote: »
    There is a black one goes my way in the M50's in the evenings, lets just say that the photo's don't do it justice.

There hasn't been much interest in it though, which is a shame. People at that level are still going for 525/530.

Agreed - has to be seen in the metal.

Mad this - but in 6 cylinder - the XF sold more units year to date than A6, 5 Series or E Class!!

208 6 cylinder is pretty good considering it missed January as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Redderneck

It's the weirdest thing; there was one parked in the car park of a client-office and we were all salivating over it. It looked more 'supercar' than Jaguar. People were just stopping to look at it.

Then I go back and google it. I've never seen any pic do it justice. You really need to see it in the flesh to appreciate it.

Agree 100%. From viewing pics I always dismissed it as way to Mondeo-ish, bit of Aston back-end. But having seen a few 'live' - definitely a better looker in the flesh/metal. Pleasantly surprising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

I agree with those who say it looks better in the metal.

The XF is apparently the same car as the last model S type with a reskin, and I think lots of people will discover that it's actually good, people who thought that the S was more suitable for for their old Dad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

X-type looks good, but cynically it's just a Ford Mondeo in disguise - something most buyers are probably unaware of

But that mondeo was a very good car by many accounts, so not necessarily a bad thing.

I like the XF, most the pictures on this thread don't do it justice. It does remind me a little of one of the new Lexuseseses though.

eoin_s wrote: »
    But that mondeo was a very good car by many accounts, so not necessarily a bad thing.

Absolutely. But having paid a premium of say €10k over the Mondeo for just the badge would be a bit sickening for the X-type owner if he ever found out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Absolutely. But having paid a premium of say €10k over the Mondeo for just the badge would be a bit sickening for the X-type owner if he ever found out :D

Most Audi drivers don't mind either. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭DanThe

I agree with Colm, when I first saw them on the road I didn't know they were the new Jag's,
    I honestly thought they were a new Chrysler!

I thought it looked nice for a Chrysler, in an American sort of way, And for about 30K..

But for a Jag? and for what price?? Nah..

• Registered Users Posts: 23,363 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

They are unreal in the flesh as some people have said. The picture that was used by jaguar prior to release showing it straight on from the front was a disgrace. It looked so bad and had nothing jaguar about it. Maybe they were just trying to keep the look fresh for release. I parked beside one the other day. I thought my A5 was stylish but it looked like an over designed **** heap beside the Jag. For how it looks and it being a jag and having a good diesel engine, the price is pretty good I think. It not a typical jag but no harm there.

I've seen a few of them in the flesh, and wasn't overly impressed. A lot of my friends like them though.

Advertisement