Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to free up space???

• 10-09-2008 11:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭

:confused:Helllllppppp....Any ideas on how I could get more space on my laptop?????

I bought a Dell Inspiron 1300 two years ago and I recently used up the 80 gigs it came with when I put itunes on it. I bought an external hard drive of 400 gigs to use to solve this problem but....me being a fuppin eegit, I was hoping to transfer all my pro-gr-ams onto my hard drive to give me extra space for my itunes but of course, as you educated people will know, you cant put programmes onto an external hard drive.

Everytime I try and download an album I have to clear disk space and I've pretty much exhausted that option now. Hense this thread.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,031 ✭✭✭✭bnt

You might be able to free up some space by doing an XP cleanup: run Disk Cleanup (in Accessories / System Tools). If you get TreeSize, you can examine the disk and see where the space is going. Also - if you have Hibernation set up, but don't use it, turn it off and delete C:\HIBER.FIL to free up a GB or two.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Thread moved from Laptops.
    I think you'd get a better response here OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

You know you don't have to put your converted iTunes files onto your C: right?

I run all mine MP3's from my external disk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Doozie

bnt- Thanks for thatbut I've gone through the disk clean up and all.
    layke wrote: »
    You know you don't have to put your converted iTunes files onto your C: right?

How do I do that? I thought the itunes program has to stay in the laptop hard drive and therefore the itunes library too and so all my chunes automatically download onto C: into that library?:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭k123456

If you dont use System Restore , turn it off, I saved 5gb by turning it off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Doozie wrote: »
    bnt- Thanks for thatbut I've gone through the disk clean up and all.

How do I do that? I thought the itunes program has to stay in the laptop hard drive and therefore the itunes library too and so all my chunes automatically download onto C: into that library?:o

Nope. The program itself needs to be installed to the C: drive but you can put the music anywhere. If you are moving them to your external HDD, then you will need to delete them from your iTunes library ONLY, move the files to your external drive then re-import them back into iTunes. You can also change in the program settings where to download or rip to (your external).

Edit:
    Make sure not to delete the files them selves. Just the connection to the library.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

k123456 wrote: »
    If you dont use System Restore , turn it off, I saved 5gb by turning it off
    best to leave it on and change the slider to use less disk space

having system restore hogging a few MB on the HDD is preferable to having to rebuild windows ;)

I like spacemonger , sequoia view is also good to see what is in use

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

I've got my i-tunes working off a network hard drive.
    You move all the files to the Ext HD and point i-tunes to the folder on the ext HD.
    As mentioned above you can then set i-Tunes to rip direct to the hard drive.
    Also to free up space you can move the "My Documents" folder to the Ext HD.
    BUT the Ext HD must be always connected to view the files.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Doozie

Thanks for all this advice! I've set up itunes to burn onto my Ext HD and moved my library onto it to so I'm well chuffed. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Martyr

some will argue if this is good idea or not..but i've done on my own machines in past, worked fine.

in %SYSTEMROOT% be that C:\WINNT or C:\WINDOWS you have hidden uninstall folders for all the latest patches from windows.

my system currently uses up 500MB for this and its not really necessary (correct me if wrong) unless you actually roll back patches..so you could delete them.

not a problem of course if you have a 500GB drive..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,380 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

A defrag & using CCleaner will clear up a bit of space also... Maybe not a lot, but still some...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Something I did before was right click on the C drive/music folder, select properties, search around for an archive option. It shrunk down the size of the folder, still able to use the music with no problems. Saved a good few gigs doing that if I recall correctly.

edit: it might say to compress files either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,961 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

you could always upgrade the laptops hard drive to a new 250gb model. theyre going relatively cheap nowadays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Silenceisbliss

1. ccleaner
    2. disk clean-up
    3. turn off system restore
    4. back up old files to cd/dvd
    5. delete all pr0n
    6. uninstal old programs
    7. defrag the hell outta it

Advertisement