Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Linksys say WRT610N is incompatible with eircom dsl

Options
  • 11-09-2008 12:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi all -

I just purchased a Linksys WRT610N because I liked the Wireless N & G, Gigaport and ability to connect a HDD. After install the wired & wireless worked great on my home network but I couldn't connect to the internet. After lots of troubleshooting Linksys eventually said the router is not compatible with eircom dsl!!!

More specifically they said it definitely won't work with adsl and will only work with some dsl. After I gave them the eircom settings and said PPPoE, VPI/VPC they said it won't work and that I should buy a WAG160N instead.

I'm far from being an expert on networking so could anyone advise so I don't make the same mistake again??? :confused:

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

What you have purchased is a wireless router without a modem. Have you been attempting to used it in connection with your Eircom modem/router?

If so did you put the router into bridge mode?

What linksys have recommended instead is a product which has a built in modem as well as a wireless router.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 memory.snap

Hi dub45 -

Yes, I have it connected to the eircom modem. I previously had an SMC router connected to my modem but decided to upgrade to a Wireless-N router to go with my new laptop.

I'm not familiar with "bridge mode". Could you please explain?

I'm not looking for a built in modem but wanted something that would work with both cable / dsl modems...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 memory.snap

Well if anyone is interested or thinking of buying a WRT610 I'd recommend holding off at least until the reviews get better / new firmware is released. I got it to work with eircom DSL (not sure how) but the connection was unreliable on wireless and LAN connection. When transferring large files over wireless the connection would drop and cause the router to crash. It also crashed when idle. I tried new drivers, firmware multiple setups and even had an experienced Cisco friend tinker with it...In the end it's like one of those early model cars that needed a mechanic / chauffeur just to keep the car running. No thanks!

Advertisement