Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ryanair again...€1 flights Sept & Oct

• 11-09-2008 12:09am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭

it's back on again....:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,625 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Website crashed today at 5pm, hopefully that wasn't a sign of things to come.
    The flights are Monday to Thursday and flights after 11am on a Saturday so there're the same as the flights they had specials on for last couple of weeks only a little bit cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

yup i got shannon to EMA for 11 euros return
    off to sheff wed V sheff utd game in oct !!

come on the owls :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭kingaaa

okidoki987 wrote: »
    Website crashed today at 5pm, hopefully that wasn't a sign of things to come.
    The flights are Monday to Thursday and flights after 11am on a Saturday so there're the same as the flights they had specials on for last couple of weeks only a little bit cheaper.

These offers never work for me or for anybody I know. Just tried to book Malaga going out on a thursday coming back on monday.According to okidoki this should be well within the sale flight times. I got quoted 79.99 going out, and 119.99 coming back. With taxes for 2 adults it comes to 507.40 - and thats before any credit card or baggage charges, where are these €1 seats - I can never find them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

Thanks for the heads up. now I'm heading to Alton towers for OCT Bank holiday!! They have a special Hallowwen night!! Can't wait

2 adults 2 children + 1 bag €100 all in.. that inlcudes €30 visa payment and €20 for a bag. and because I want to check in a bag. I have to get them all to check in at a cost of €40 typical ryanair. charge for everything. still €25 to go to east midlands from shannon ain't bad!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Kiddynamite

I can't get these 1 euro seats either, what's the story?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

2 adults 2 children + 1 bag €100 all in.. that inlcudes €30 visa payment and €20 for a bag. and because I want to check in a bag. I have to get them all to check in at a cost of €40 typical ryanair. charge for everything.
    You'd thing we could get through one thread without these type of comments.

Off with yourself to the Ryanair consumer issues thread :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,625 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Fares include taxes, fees & charges

Booking Period: Wed 10th Sep 08 - Sun 14th Sep 08
    Travel Period: Tue 23rd Sep 08 - Fri 31st Oct 08
    Applicable Days: Mon - Thurs & Sat (subject to availability) Blackout Period: 17th Oct '08 - 03rd Nov '08 to/from Edinburgh / Glasgow (Prestwick)
    24th Oct '08 - 03rd Nov '08 to/from UK / Ireland
    Notes on this fare: All Holidays, School Breaks and Major Sporting Events are excluded from this offer

The "Subject to Availability" is the important one here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,310 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

It absolutely astounds me that people STILL haven't figured out Ryanair's pricing.

Some flights cost nothing, others cost a bit.

I despise O'leary and the Ryanair model but I've had to do a fair bit of travelling this year and Ryanair has saved me at least a grand on flights (compared to next cheapest option). I know I get what I pay for and I know that the headline fares don't matter in the slightest.

Dodge wrote: »
    It absolutely astounds me that people STILL haven't figured out Ryanair's pricing.

Some flights cost nothing, others cost a bit.

I despise O'leary and the Ryanair model but I've had to do a fair bit of travelling this year and Ryanair has saved me at least a grand on flights (compared to next cheapest option). I know I get what I pay for and I know that the headline fares don't matter in the slightest.

Glad its worked out for you. I dont think many like O'leary or the company itself, infact if there was just a difference of €50 or less between Aer Lingus and Ryanair - I'd always opt for Aer Lingus.But these sales bug the s**t out of me.I NEVER can find one of these flights for €1. I tried yesterday as soon as I got the email to book Malaga. The days I picked going out and coming back are actually listed as the travel days on sale. But €500+ ? I think its only Ryanair staff and family that get these wonder flights!

Without being funny, you looked to book a weekend in malaga. Try flying on Tuesday or Wednesday.

If costs a fair bit, it means the cheap ones areall gone. No big conspiracy

• Advertisement

Without being funny, you looked to book a weekend in malaga. Try flying on Tuesday or Wednesday.

If costs a fair bit, it means the cheap ones areall gone. No big conspiracy

It does'nt really matter if I'm staying the weekend, I tried booking flights on thursday and monday-the days stipulated in the sale.I also tried booking these at the start of the sale, so they could hardly be all gone.As for conspiracies, I'm not into them but I do challenge anybody to show me a €1 flight, I think they are rarer than hens teeth and even rarer for dates that people would actually want to travel on.

kingaaa wrote: »
    It does'nt really matter if I'm staying the weekend, I tried booking flights on thursday and monday-the days stipulated in the sale.I also tried booking these at the start of the sale, so they could hardly be all gone..

Flights are on sale for 6 months. If they've sold 150 seats, its obvious (to me anyway) that none of them are going to be available at €1 for too long. (and nowhere does Ryanair state "all flights") The weekend part is absolutely relevant as these fligths are more popular.

And there has been load and loads of people who got free flights, one euro fligths etc etc. Do a search here, plenty of posts about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

2 adults 2 children + 1 bag €100 all in.. that inlcudes €30 visa payment and €20 for a bag. and because I want to check in a bag. I have to get them all to check in at a cost of €40 typical ryanair. charge for everything. still €25 to go to east midlands from shannon ain't bad!!
    Would it not have been cheaper to book the person checking in the baggage seperately and then the rest together thus the rest could have done online check-in?

Flights are on sale for 6 months. If they've sold 150 seats, its obvious (to me anyway) that none of them are going to be available at €1 for too long. (and nowhere does Ryanair state "all flights") The weekend part is absolutely relevant as these fligths are more popular.

And there has been load and loads of people who got free flights, one euro fligths etc etc. Do a search here, plenty of posts about it

OK, this is the last time I'm going to say this as you dont seem to understand what I'm saying.

Fact 1. Ryanair sale state that they are selling 3 million seats for £1 one way

Fact2. Ryanair states that there will be no othe tax,fees or charges

Fact3. Ryanair says "Booking Period: Wed 10th Sep 08 - Sun 14th Sep 08
    Travel Period: Tue 23rd Sep 08 - Fri 31st Oct 08
    Applicable Days: Mon - Thurs & Sat (subject to availability)
    Blackout Period: 17th Oct '08 - 03rd Nov '08 to/from Edinburgh / Glasgow (Prestwick)
    24th Oct '08 - 03rd Nov '08 to/from UK / Ireland
    Notes on this fare: All Holidays, School Breaks and Major Sporting Events are excluded from this offer"

Fact 3. I tried booking as soon as the sale started on sept 10th, travelling on a thursday and monday (check above,these are the days for the £1 flights)

Fact4. It would have cost me well over €500 for 2 adults, and there were extra tax,fees and charges.

Now if Ryanair are sellin 3 MILLION seats for a quid, are you trying to tell me that none of these will apply to the Malaga route? Even if there were only 1000 flights for £1 on each route, thats 3 thousand routes - they dont have that many. And dont give me any waffle about staying the weekend, thats the days they say these seats are for sale, monday and thursday.Oh, and by the way - just for pig-iron I checked all the previous and next days, not a £1 flight in sight.

I'd still like to hear from somebody that actually got a £1 flight, and exactly where it was to.Surley the whole 3 million flights cant be going to their more far-flung routes? That just dont make sense!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

I saw both way flights for 1euro yesterday for Rezo (I'm not spelling that right, the airport lower middle of Fance). The trick is to go next day/prev day until you see em. The UK flights always have piles of availablilty at the sale price.

My father was giving the same line recently when the 10 euro sale was on (sale prices don't exist etc.) and I went on and got him seville for €30 odd return - he was delighted :)

C

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

checked it acer. and would then incurr two visa charges @ €30 each.

I also was not objecting to paying the charges but merely outlining the deal. my flights were 1 cent each, each way. but the charges were extra.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

Fact 3. I tried booking as soon as the sale started on sept 10th, travelling on a thursday and monday (check above,these are the days for the £1 flights)

Just one more point, the applicable days just mean that the other days are definitely *not* going to give you the sale price, it doesn't guarantee that those days will have availability for every date within the sale range.

Phibsboro wrote: »
    Just one more point, the applicable days just mean that the other days are definitely *not* going to give you the sale price, it doesn't guarantee that those days will have availability for every date within the sale range.

I understand that, but I do think its just sales-talk.They are basically saying that you can only trave on a Monday,Thursday and Saturday,but the flights may not be available for these dates. Then where are the 3 million seats for? Reza? where the hell is that? Has anybody EVER booked a flight for £1 each way, with NO extra tax,fees or charges,to somewhere they actually wanted to go, at a time they wanted to travel? I think not. Please dont make me check this cowboys website again, the more contact I have with Ryanair the sicker I feel!

I understand that, but I do think its just sales-talk

Did you ever think it was other wise? Seriously?

I've booked flights (return to London) for dates I wanted for nothing but the credit card charge before (and you'll never ever not have to pay that CC charge at Ryanair)

Did you ever think it was other wise? Seriously?

I've booked flights (return to London) for dates I wanted for nothing but the credit card charge before (and you'll never ever not have to pay that CC charge at Ryanair)

UH,Yeah!! when I get an email flashing all over my screen saying I can get a flight for £1 each way with no extra tax,fees or charges, I expect to be ABLE to get a flight for £1 each way with no extra tax,fees or charges!

Whats this, the Michael O'Leary fan club?

• Advertisement

Yeah, thats what it is :rolleyes:
    I despise O'leary and the Ryanair model

Yeah, thats what it is :rolleyes:

If you despise them so much, why use them so much? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

I'm shocked nobody has pointed this out, Malaga isn't on the flippin list of €1 flights.

I'm shocked nobody has pointed this out, Malaga isn't on the flippin list of €1 flights.

Its not even about Malaga anymore (although I cant for the life of me see why out of 3 million seats there are none for Malaga), it's the fact you cant get one of these flights to somewhere you'd actually want to go, when you'd actually want to go.They are advertised in the sale at €23.27 each way with no extra tax,fees or charges. How come I cant actually get these flights? And there are extra tax,fees and charges.Like I said, my final quote was well over €500 for 2 adults.

Listen lads, dont go over my posts looking to pick holes in what I'm saying so you can look smug on the thread.Call a spade a spade - This airline are the most un-user friendly out of them all, even though they would like you to think otherwise. Sure, if you want to go to the middle of nowhere at 11.50pm on a wednesday go ahead, but why? just to say you got a flight for £1 each way?

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭getoffthepot

Glad its worked out for you. I dont think many like O'leary or the company itself, infact if there was just a difference of €50 or less between Aer Lingus and Ryanair - I'd always opt for Aer Lingus.But these sales bug the s**t out of me.I NEVER can find one of these flights for €1. I tried yesterday as soon as I got the email to book Malaga. The days I picked going out and coming back are actually listed as the travel days on sale. But €500+ ? I think its only Ryanair staff and family that get these wonder flights!

I'd pick Ryanair over Aer Lingus for punctuality.
    Went to Glasgow on the fungus on Tuesday - delayed going out and coming back. - a Joke, very unreliable and not the first time.
    I fly a lot and rarely delayed on the Ryanair.

also got flights this year on Ryanair
    January Faro €26 return incl of everything
    €26 Seville twice in April return incl of everything
    €26 Seville in May return incl of everything

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

Its not even about Malaga anymore (although I cant for the life of me see why out of 3 million seats there are none for Malaga), it's the fact you cant get one of these flights to somewhere you'd actually want to go, when you'd actually want to go.They are advertised in the sale at €23.27 each way with no extra tax,fees or charges. How come I cant actually get these flights? And there are extra tax,fees and charges.Like I said, my final quote was well over €500 for 2 adults.

Listen lads, dont go over my posts looking to pick holes in what I'm saying so you can look smug on the thread.Call a spade a spade - This airline are the most un-user friendly out of them all, even though they would like you to think otherwise. Sure, if you want to go to the middle of nowhere at 11.50pm on a wednesday go ahead, but why? just to say you got a flight for £1 each way?

I agree that I can't find any for Malaga at €23.27, but I did find a Saturday to Monday for my mother and friend to Nice in October at only €20 return each plus credit card charges.

Most of these deals are mainly to the UK now but occasionally it includes much more of Europe, last week there were €5 flights to most of Europe, I'm sure Malaga was included there.

Ryanair didn't even used to charge credit card fees, and flights were literally 1c each way if you only needed hand luggage, but the days of such cheap flights seem to be over.

I've used them about 3 or 4 times, and I'll give you that they are punctual - but thats not out of concern for the passengers, it's to avoid late fees.But I found the whole experience of flying with them not very good.From the calvary charge from the terminal in Girona to the plane on the tarmac, to the fact you cant actually book seats so you and your family can sit together, to the fact they try squeeze every last cent they can out of you with phantom charges, and that even the cabin crew are glorified market traders - trying to sell you stuff that you would ask for if you wanted it.

I agree that I can't find any for Malaga at €23.27, but I did find a Saturday to Monday for my mother and friend to Nice in October at only €20 return each plus credit card charges.

Most of these deals are mainly to the UK now but occasionally it includes much more of Europe, last week there were €5 flights to most of Europe, I'm sure Malaga was included there.

Ryanair didn't even used to charge credit card fees, and flights were literally 1c each way if you only needed hand luggage, but the days of such cheap flights seem to be over.

Hustler, glad you got a bargain for your mother and her friend, but I dont want to go to Nice. I've been checking the prices over the last couple of months as there is an event on in Malaga I might attend if I can get cheap flights. There were no flights to Malaga for €5 last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭johnfás

Has anybody EVER booked a flight for £1 each way, with NO extra tax,fees or charges,to somewhere they actually wanted to go, at a time they wanted to travel? I think not.

Yup - flew 5 people to London for 10 cent before with no charges. They only do that deal a few times a year though. Here is a copy of my confirmation e-mail at the time with names blocked out:
    PASSENGERS
    1. X X ADT 2. X X ADT 3. X X ADT
    4. X X ADT 5. X X ADT

GOING OUT
    From Dublin(DUB) to London Stansted(STN)
    Thu, 21Feb08 Flight FR296 Depart DUB at 15:30 and arrive STN at 16:45

COMING BACK
    From London Stansted(STN) to Dublin(DUB)
    Sat, 23Feb08 Flight FR227 Depart STN at 18:30 and arrive DUB at 19:45

PAYMENT DETAILS
    *********0.10 EUR Adult
    *********0.00 EUR Taxes, Fees & Charges
    *********0.00 EUR Aviation / WCHR Levy
    *********0.00 EUR Car Rental
    *********0.00 EUR Insurance
    *********0.10 EUR Total Paid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭snowdaze

I have flown at least half a dozen times where just 2cents was charged to my visa card:)

With the latest deal the charge is €12 per person per rtn flight (€1 per flight and €5 visa charge per flight)- I am still very happy with that:D

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Gerbud

8 of us went to Manchester on a Thurs night & returned on a Monday for a grand total of €0.16. - TRUTH.

Got a Utd game in and all!!

This was nearly a year ago now.

If you despise them so much, why use them so much? :confused:

I told you in the first post. They save me money. I couldn't afford to travel that much with another airline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

I regularly travel from Cork-Dublin and even with the €10 CC charge it costs €12 return
    You can't knock that @ all

I've been screwed by Ryanair a few times now between changing my flight details a day before i leave, charging my that little bit extra when they can and dire customer service.
    Do i continue to use them?
    Absolutely.

Dont get me wrong, If I could get the tickets I want to Malaga at even a half decent price I would use them too. Can you imagine what this airline would be like if they were actually customer friendly? There must be a lot out there like me who cringe when the hear the word ryanair and are a bit reluctant to use them because of the stealth charges and poor customer service. On one of the occasions I used them there were a few of us going to London, The fare was around €150 each return.About 6 weeks before the trip somebody pulled out, but had organised another person to take his place so he rang ryanair (I think the phone number was a premium rate number) and was told it would cost €128 to change the name on the ticket! How can that be justified? In fact, you know what, I dont think I would use them again - out of the few times I've used them I've had some right horror stories!

• Advertisement

In fact, you know what, I dont think I would use them again - out of the few times I've used them I've had some right horror stories!
    A few posts ago you said you've been checking the ryanair website for months looking for flights?

As has been said a million times; "you get wat you pay for"

Crap service, no flexibility, horrible uncomfortable seats. If you're willing to put up with that, you can travel realtively cheaply.

A few posts ago you said you've been checking the ryanair website for months looking for flights?

As has been said a million times; "you get wat you pay for"

Crap service, no flexibility, horrible uncomfortable seats. If you're willing to put up with that, you can travel realtively cheaply.

I did say that a few posts ago but thats not all I said, I said if I could get what I want when I want it at the right price, the holy grail of ryanair flights.Whats your point?
    Why should we have to put up with Crap service, no flexibility, horrible uncomfortable seats? most of it is totally unneccasary. And like you said,"can travel realtively cheaply" - but its extremeley rare to travel for the price they advertise. I think its an Irish thing myself, most of the posters here have said that they dont like ryanair, they have no customer service, the planes are uncomfortable, they are totally in-flexible, and they hit you with stealth charges - but look at the amount of people sticking up for them because they got a cheap (realitivley) flight to an airport probably 50 miles from where they wanted to go midweek. They would'nt get away with it in a consumer friendly country like the U.S. Good luck to yiz all, but I dont think I'll be using them again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭madmoe

Just seen Dub to London Gatwick for €2 return. Amazing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭xbox36016

thare not becase befor you now its 300 euros to go anyware

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Just booked Dublin to Nice in October €20 return all in

• Advertisement

They would'nt get away with it in a consumer friendly country like the U.S.

You know Ryanair are based on Southwest Airlines, don't you? And its obviously not an irish thing if they carry more passengers than any other european airline.

Why should we have to put up with Crap service, no flexibility, horrible uncomfortable seats?
    You don't, you can use other airlines. If you're willing to put up with the above, Ryanair may work out for you, if you're not, don't use them. it st he equivalent of people complaining about there not being enough meat in a Big mac, surely you know what you're getting when you buy it?
    but look at the amount of people sticking up for them because they got a cheap (realitivley) flight to an airport probably 50 miles from where they wanted to go midweek
    People are sticking up for them because you're being totally ridiculous. You wanted flights to malaga for a euro, couldn't find them, and decided to have a rant about the Airline. I've only ever flown ryanair when I've needed to travel. Recently I've booked flights to Riga, Gothenburg and Berlin. Berlin and Riga are the same airports as Aer Lingus fly into it, and the Gothenburg "ryanair" airport is way closer to the city than the "main" airport.

The point I'm making, and have always made, is that in certain circumstances, Ryanair meet the needs for some people. If they don't meet your needs, find an airline that does and stop complaining about them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭madmoe

@Dodge,
    Good man! I agree totally with everything you say......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

UH,Yeah!! when I get an email flashing all over my screen saying I can get a flight for £1 each way with no extra tax,fees or charges, I expect to be ABLE to get a flight for £1 each way with no extra tax,fees or charges!

Whats this, the Michael O'Leary fan club?
    I've used them about 3 or 4 times, and I'll give you that they are punctual - but thats not out of concern for the passengers, it's to avoid late fees.But I found the whole experience of flying with them not very good.From the calvary charge from the terminal in Girona to the plane on the tarmac, to the fact you cant actually book seats so you and your family can sit together, to the fact they try squeeze every last cent they can out of you with phantom charges, and that even the cabin crew are glorified market traders - trying to sell you stuff that you would ask for if you wanted it.
    I did say that a few posts ago but thats not all I said, I said if I could get what I want when I want it at the right price, the holy grail of ryanair flights.Whats your point?
    Why should we have to put up with Crap service, no flexibility, horrible uncomfortable seats? most of it is totally unneccasary. And like you said,"can travel realtively cheaply" - but its extremeley rare to travel for the price they advertise. I think its an Irish thing myself, most of the posters here have said that they dont like ryanair, they have no customer service, the planes are uncomfortable, they are totally in-flexible, and they hit you with stealth charges - but look at the amount of people sticking up for them because they got a cheap (realitivley) flight to an airport probably 50 miles from where they wanted to go midweek. They would'nt get away with it in a consumer friendly country like the U.S. Good luck to yiz all, but I dont think I'll be using them again.

Are you taking the p*ss? Just because the dates don't suit you doesn't mean they don't suit anyone else.

The way your going on about Ryanair is absolutely ridiculous - you get what you pay for. Duh. Have you never heard that phrase before?

Go fly with Aer lingus or some other non-budget carrier for multiply x the price.

If the airline decided to do what you wanted to do then it wouldn't be budget would it. Maybe you should look up the definition of budget in the dictionary. There's plenty of airlines out there to live up to your standard but you have to pay for it. Get yourself some business aptitude before talking such sh*te.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Manofthewest

Great offer at the min. Got Flights to London for €21 for the bank holiday weekend in October.

Why should we have to put up with Crap service
    I honestly don't see what crap service they provide.
    no flexibility
    If you want flexibility then you will have to pay for it.
    horrible uncomfortable seats?
    I find absolutely nothing wrong with the seats. They are just as comfortable as Bus Eireann or Citylink. I am also thankful that you cannot move them back on top of the person behind you.
    And like you said,"can travel realtively cheaply" - but its extremeley rare to travel for the price they advertise.
    You may not get a special offer at the best rate because others have gotten there before but it most probably will work out cheaper than the alternatives. Any time I am flying anywhere I always to compare to the alternative airlines such as Aerlingus, BMI etc. I also always look at which airport those airlines fly into in order to calculate the cheapest way to get to my destination. Its about the total cost not just the flight cost.

I think its an Irish thing myself, most of the posters here have said that they dont like ryanair, they have no customer service, the planes are uncomfortable, they are totally in-flexible, and they hit you with stealth charges - but look at the amount of people sticking up for them because they got a cheap (realitivley) flight to an airport probably 50 miles from where they wanted to go midweek. They would'nt get away with it in a consumer friendly country like the U.S. Good luck to yiz all, but I dont think I'll be using them again.
    What customer service do you need that you are not getting? What's uncomfortable about their airplanes? What stealth charges? All the charges are available on the website to see and you are shown the total amount that will be charged to your CC before you choose to purchase the flight.

People are stupid. They think they deserve a 5 star flying hotel for a 2/3 hour flight (even when the airline advertises as a no-frills cheap airline) but yet they will get on a bus and not expect the same thing - why is that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭johnfás

There is an awful lot of crap gets thrown around here about Ryanair by people who probably barely even fly the airline, let alone make use of their customer service. I travel on Ryanair in excess of 10 times per year. Their seats are just as comfortable as Aer Lingus for the short hop that it is to any European destination. Everybody knows the stealth charges before they book so why complain? It is still generally miles cheaper to fly to London for a weekend with Ryanair than Aer Lingus.

In regards to customer service, this seems to be more a notion by people who listen too much to Joe Duffy than people who actually use Ryanair. I had reason to call their customer service a couple of weeks ago, they answered quickly and were incredibly friendly. The lady politely and efficiently dealt with my issue. It then appeared that the issue was not entirely resolved and she in fact rang me back to say that the matter had not been entirely resolved but to bear with her and she would telephone back again once it had been.

Ryanair is indeed a no frills airline, absolutely. But it is not the sespit that many here make out and for no good reason. Wow - you probably flew the airline once and got delayed, as if that's never happened on another airline. I have often flown Aer Lingus, British Airways and Ryanair. On the whole I have no problems with any of them. On the odd occasion that something goes awry I have found all three on the whole to be perfectly polite and I have on occasion found all three to be entirely unsatisfactory. Customer care at the point of service is not the strong point of any airline. Customer service over the phone with Ryanair is entirely acceptable.

In fairness I used the term customer service but I meant overall customer care. I've flown with them 16 times in the last 3 years and never had a need to call their customer service. The points I don't like are the lack of pre-assigned seating and the smaller baggage allowance.

As previously stated I'm willing to put up with these for the price I pay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

i got return flights for a thursday to a monday to holland for 20 quid all in. if i wanna go to Killarney on the train it costs 65 euro. There's absolutely zero wrong with the Ryanair planes, the only thing i don't like is the way those Bullseye Baggies burst on my jocks when i tear them open with my teeth, but if anything, that masks my over-excitement at flying to Europe for such a low price.

The points I don't like are the lack of pre-assigned seating
    I think it is a great idea since it gets everyone to board quickly thus they can operate shorter turn around times. You have the option to pay for priority boarding (used to be great when free with online checkin). Even after paying for priority boarding the flight will probably still work out cheaper. The again you cannot prebook a specific seat on a bus eireann or citylink bus so why need it on a short flight?
    and the smaller baggage allowance.
    Not entirely true since Ryanair allow 10kg of hand luggage compared to aerlingus's 6kg of hand luggage. Checked in luggage is 15kg (Ryanair) vs 20kg (aerlingus) thus there is a 1kg difference overall. I like that Ryanair are more geared towards not being forced to bring checked in luggage with their higher hand luggage allowance thus you can save money by not checking in bags.

axer wrote: »
    I honestly don't see what crap service they provide.

If you want flexibility then you will have to pay for it.

I find absolutely nothing wrong with the seats. They are just as comfortable as Bus Eireann or Citylink. I am also thankful that you cannot move them back on top of the person behind you.

You may not get a special offer at the best rate because others have gotten there before but it most probably will work out cheaper than the alternatives. Any time I am flying anywhere I always to compare to the alternative airlines such as Aerlingus, BMI etc. I also always look at which airport those airlines fly into in order to calculate the cheapest way to get to my destination. Its about the total cost not just the flight cost.

What customer service do you need that you are not getting? What's uncomfortable about their airplanes? What stealth charges? All the charges are available on the website to see and you are shown the total amount that will be charged to your CC before you choose to purchase the flight.

People are stupid. They think they deserve a 5 star flying hotel for a 2/3 hour flight (even when the airline advertises as a no-frills cheap airline) but yet they will get on a bus and not expect the same thing - why is that?

you know what, your right, people are stupid.You've just quoted me when the comments were clearly posted by another poster - read the thread before you comment.

What stealth charges? read the thread again about the sale price that was advertised and what it actually worked out at.

I've used them more than once, mabye 5 times in total.I had issues with customer support on 2 of those trips - thats 40%, and that has actually nothing to do with theannoying things like no seat allocation, uncomfortable seats and cabin crew's over enthusiastic selling stratogies.

I'm not looking for a five-star hotel in the air, but I certainly dont want to be dragging the wife,2 kids and carry on baggage across a tarmac runway in the hopes we can sit together (this has happened)

I'm only going on my personal experiences here, which have'nt been all that great to be honest.If its worked out for you - thats great, but dont come on here trying to say I'm imagining it or being too fussy - I can rough it with the best of them, just dont like doing it when I'm being told it's a no-frills airling and I should be greatful for the price I'm getting it for when in MY EXPERIENCE, it has'nt been that cheap at all and the no frills actually means being herded around like cattle.

• Advertisement
Advertisement