Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

teeth getting cleaned

Options
  • 11-09-2008 12:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know the procedure for getting a dogs teeth cleaned?
    I am a bit apprehensive about getting a general anaesthetic done, so is there a test that can be done beforehand to make sure the dog won't react badly to anaesthetic?

also, does anyone know the approx. cost as I don't want to ask the vet but need to know how much to take with me! :p

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

How bad are his teeth??? There's absolutely no need for a dog to be anaesthetised in order to brush his teeth! Unless they are literally rotting out of his head with the plaque, that is, in which case, cleaning is the least of his worries.

All you need is a toothbrush and some doggy toothpaste (and possibly a will of iron) and off you go. He doesn't even need to go to the vet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭~Thalia~

How often should this be done? My girl is nearly two and she has beautiful white teeth and I'd like to keep them healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭fits

One of mine had this done last year. I have insurance so only had to pay 60 euro but I think the bill was around 120 euro, most of which was the charge for anaesthetic. He's a big dog.

Thalia, you can brush the dogs teeth yourself or give dental chews to help prevent plaque. Feeding hard kibble also helps. Some dogs will need regular cleaning and some wont. He shouldnt need descaling at the age of two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭~Thalia~

fits wrote: »
    One of mine had this done last year. I have insurance so only had to pay 60 euro but I think the bill was around 120 euro, most of which was the charge for anaesthetic. He's a big dog.

Thalia, you can brush the dogs teeth yourself or give dental chews to help prevent plaque. Feeding hard kibble also helps. Some dogs will need regular cleaning and some wont. He shouldnt need cleaning at the age of two.

Thanks fits, she gets dry hard kibbled food and a daily dental chew so she should be ok, thanks for the info!

Advertisement