Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asda possibly coming to Dundalk ?

Options
  • 11-09-2008 12:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭

Heard this today, not 100% certain, but apparently Asda are in talks with Superquinn to buy them out.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Yeah, this was in the papers 2 weeks ago but Superquinn were on radio last week denying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Dooish

ceo of asda over in belfast next week to make a announcement of sites in NI and maybe ROI

All will become clear then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭milly4ever

hope so! i only shop in asda, and i live in dublin! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

milly4ever wrote: »
    i only shop in asda, and i live in dublin! :p
    Same here, the money you save is unreal. It's a joke too when you think about it when you factor in the exchange rate, "Rip of Ireland!!".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭sudzs

I heard it was Sainsbury's that were interested in Superquin... :confused:

• Advertisement

sudzs wrote: »
    I heard it was Sainsbury's that were interested in Superquin... :confused:

i know that asda have met with them several times.

can't see it be sainsbury's as they are struggling in NI

Just on the news that Asda may of bought the Dunnes Stores company, will be announced tomorrow.

oh please let it be true! and finally tesco can stop robbing people with this competition

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭ArthurGuinness

Tesco and Asda (Wallmart) will eventually rule the world. It will close small family run businesses and even the larger ones. And most people will end up working there. Then where will they have left to spend thier money! They will just get bigger and bigger and bigger. They will start selling cars in the next 10 yrs! I think its sad to see Irish businesses go. Long live ryanair

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 TheSpoon

Roll on Wallmart!!

Although if they're no better we'll just keep shopping in Newry.

• Advertisement

I think its sad to see Irish businesses go.
    If it is true, Dunnes only have themselves to blame with their prices. Over the past few months thousands of people from the south have been going up north for their shopping and making big savings even with the exchange rate. What did Dunnes do to bring their customers back.... nothing, instead of lowering prices they put them up because of lower sales and in their clothes department they took off the sterling price displayed on price tags. Do they think we are stupid, serves them right.

Problem with Irish businesses here is that the majority of them are too greedy, just look at the current situation with petrol and diesel.

hellboy99 wrote: »
    If it is true, Dunnes only have themselves to blame with their prices. Over the past few months thousands of people from the south have been going up north for their shopping and making big savings even with the exchange rate. What did Dunnes do to bring their customers back.... nothing, instead of lowering prices they put them up because of lower sales and in their clothes department they took off the sterling price displayed on price tags. Do they think we are stupid, serves them right.

Problem with Irish businesses here is that the majority of them are too greedy, just look at the current situation with petrol and diesel.

I agree that its good to see lower prices, but how can Dunnes possibily compete with Walmart they have over 7,300 stores worldwide! Dunnes have 153! When you are ordering stock for 7300 stores you will get a considerable bulk discount. Also blame the government. We pay VAT at 21% on all items that are considered to be non-essential these include toilet roll, shampoos and shower gel, soap, chocolate and 13.5% on other items etc etc altough this is true of most if not all EU states Ireland has one of the highest rates of VAT. Also one of the highest minimum wages in the EU so if over-heads go up so do prices its simple economics. The UK minimum wage is currently 5.53GBP (7.00) and there VAT 17.5%. Plus thier customer base is much larger 60 million people live in the UK so they are working on bigger volume smaller profit. So even if Walmart or anyone else move to Ireland thier prices will be still more expensive than the UK Think about it. Its the Irish people who are greedy! The only ones i have no sympathy for are the car dealers they are robbing feckers!

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭TheBigFella

The only ones i have no sympathy for are the car dealers they are robbing feckers!

I totally agree, along with Builders, Estate Agents etc...

Also blame the government. We pay VAT at 21% on all items that are considered to be non-essential these include toilet roll, shampoos and shower gel, soap, chocolate and 13.5% on other items etc etc altough this is true of most if not all EU states Ireland has one of the highest rates of VAT. So even if Walmart or anyone else move to Ireland thier prices will be still more expensive than the UK Think about it. Its the Irish people who are greedy! The only ones i have no sympathy for are the car dealers they are robbing feckers!
    I totally agree with you about the government, they have a lot to answer for and as for the recent budget, what a joke, they hit all the wrong areas and again the rich get off as usual. The way to sort things out is to lower the cost of living (get rid of VRT too :mad:) and in doing so this would boost the economy.

As for VAT here causes prices to be high they still could be lowered, there is an awful lot of profit being made. For example in Asda up north their own brand shower gel costs £0.07p I bet you Dunnes are no where near that price here.
    I recently got an LCD TV in Curry's up north, here in Curry's in the south the same TV was near €400 dearer, also while I was there they were selling PS3 games for £4.97 while they were at full price here. So saying VAT is the main cause for price differences here would be a lie.

The only greedy Irish people in this country are the business men and women and FF.

Again what you are saying abot own brand shower gel for 7p it all comes down to cost of doing buisness in Ireland especially the minimum wage. Also down to the fact that ASDA Walmart have over 7300 stores plus I saw a 3 part docu a few weeks back on Walmart. They have thier own sweetshops in China and India and places. As for the T.V being 400 more expensive, it yet it again comes down to overheads, ie Ireland has one of the most expensive places in the world to buy and rent commercial property even still in the recession. I was recently looking at a commercial property in a business park in Wexford beside a DID electrical, Halfords, Right Price Tiles and Atlantic Homecare. The price of this premises altough large was 13,500EURO a month. This dosnt inlude business rates water-rates or anything of that nature. There is no doubt in my mind that alot of these businesses in Ireland rip people off and I agree that it is better to have extra miney in our pockets at the end of the week to do the things we want. I do believe however that this is the wrong way to go about it. I believe opening the gates for every Multi-National company is wrong. In the future you or your children or even thier children will never be able to build up a business from the ground up because Multi-Nationals will dominate the market. It should have been better regulated by the goverment from the start. I do have respect for aldi and lidl they cut stupid costs such has not paying millions for a license to play music in thier stores and this saving is actually passed on to the consumer. Plus they buy more Irish produce than an other super-market in Ireland.

They have thier own sweetshops in China and India and places.

Don't see the problem with a few sweet shops in China or India. They deserve their pleasures too.

Now sweat shops, that's a different story.:)

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TommyT

I was wondering what Walmart were doing opening sweet shops in China.
    Asda coming to Dundalk would be great, anything that brings down prices has to be good for us all, but remember Newry is still just 10 minutes up the road.

hellboy99 wrote: »
    Heard this today, not 100% certain, but apparently Asda are in talks with Superquinn to buy them out.

No smoke without fire !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

No smoke without fire !!!
    take it from me asda in the republic will be good for you ,the first thing that will happen there will be a price war both the big two tesco and asda will go head to head ,in the uk asda wins every time ,i am in the position to know ,my wife has worked for asda for 20 years and my son is a manager for tesco,and he shops at asda -its cheeper

• Advertisement

This is in the Argus:

http://www.argus.ie/news/asda-hoping-for-green-light-1709789.html
    Asda hoping for green light

Wednesday April 15 2009

Massive plans have been revealed for a potential Asda move into Dundalk in a development that could stem the tide of southerners flocking to Newry to shop.

In a planning application that went before Dundalk Town Council last night ( Tuesday), Finnabair Estates Ltd, the owners of Dundalk Retail Park, have applied for permission for a huge retail unit of around 8,340sqm.
    A source close to the project has confirmed to the Argus that Asda is the retailer that will come to the unit if the plans get the green light.
    The store, which will be located at the north east of an almost 15 hectare site at the retail park, will consist of 3,000sqm of 'net convenience' (groceries) and 2,224sqm of 'gross comparison' as well as a restaurant/cafe and 2,280sqm of storage.

This element is part of an even bigger application by Finnabair Estates and is one of three retail blocks planned at the site.
    The second development is located at the north of the site and comprises eight retail units built in a line and ranging in size from 940sqm to 2,800sqm as well as two restaurants and a management block.
    Block C, the third part of the development, is located at the south west of the site and will have three retail units ranging in size from 725sqm to 980sqm.

The entire development will be centred around a man made water feature that will provide a focal point for the outlet.
    Permission is also sought for 1,337 car parking spaces to accommodate shoppers.

As they have planning already lodged for a unit in Newry is it likely they'll have stores in Newry and Dundalk?

there is no word of this from asda head office but i know they have looked at several sites in newry

Dooish wrote: »
    there is no word of this from asda head office but i know they have looked at several sites in newry

Their name us on the planning application in Newry for the Carnbane (spell?) estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭DundalkDuffman

I would have thought that Newry would be a lot more attractive to Asda than Dundalk from a rates and employment aspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Graceland

There was a letter in this weeks argus from Philip Bartram, Property Communications Manager, ASDA Stores Ltd - he said the following

"I write with regard to the article (ASDA hoping for green light) which appreared in Wednesday April 15th edition of the Argus. I can confirm that ASDA has no current plans to open stores in the Republic of Ireland and is not associated with the Finnabair Estate Ltd Development referred to in the article. I hope this clarifies the situation for your readers".

So looks like ASDA won't be coming here after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭c4cat

Dooish wrote: »
    i know that asda have met with them several times.

can't see it be sainsbury's as they are struggling in NI

You have not been to their newry store then. the best performing store in the whole of the UK inlc NI

Advertisement