Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supervalue Tramore to build Petrol Station

• 11-09-2008 2:38am
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So SuperValue are in the process of revnovating parts of their store and car park. They are also now looking to develop two new shop units and a petrol station.

I have my doubts about the petrol station - its a pain in the ass to get around the car park with current traffic and if they open a petrol station its going to be made a lot worse. To small of an area for such a development - and didnt they already get refused for a cinema because it would result in extra traffic? Its good to see Quish responding to the competition with Tesco and Lidl (possibly even Aldi) - I can imagine it wont be smooth sailing as it used to be with the increased competition the shop now faces.

If the station does get the go ahead, hopefully they will offer realistic petrol prices (I would imagine they will do petrol discounts if you buy X amount in store like Tesco do)!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Like they are or were doing between Garvey's Supervalue and Coolagh Road Servics Station in Dungarvan, 10% off up to 80 litres, or something like that.

The car park in Supervalue Tramore was designed 20 years ago for the L&N and was very progressive for that time. There are large concrete holding tanks under the car park at the end for rainwater and any alterations from this point would be expensive. There were huge old glass houses where the car park is now, they were very nice, could have been restored, anyway, they were gone in a day, like they were never there.

I wonder if the incinerator is still on the street side of the shop, probably not.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I see today that there have been 4 "submissions" to the planning application - mainly in relation to the petrol station (two pumps and a canopy over it). Thought some might be interested in this.

One resident living beside it has complained that not enough notices have been put up (only one so far, on the side of the main enterance where there is no pedestrian access), it will block their view, damage the enviroment, make the side access worse (in terms of groups hanging around) and pointed out it must have Health and Safety issues. They also made note that not many know about the planning and that Super Value have failed to contact them about it. This would be the more detailed objection, and its two people signed on this.

Other objections include concerns about increase in traffic (note; the last time Super Value tried to build down there (a cinema) it was objected to becasue of traffic) and summarising most of what the above submission stated (enviroment, anti social behaviour, view etc). Its the same letter, sent in by two other residents.

An Taisce also commented asking the council "determine that the proposal represents an appropriate use of the site".

Decission is due on the 12th unless there are delays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

From the late 70's to the late 80's for any planning application being prepared by our (then) office, someone would be sent out to speak to the immediate neighbours surrounding a proposed development to ease peoples fears and because access to planning files was very difficult at that time, for the Tramore area.

I remember one case in particular we had 6 houses to call to, and we met the usual "what kind of a wall will be at the end of my garden, I'd like it if I could get some white dash on it" to "make sure my rose bushes arn't touched" and of course "can I have a copy of the plan to study" nobody went out of their way to make trouble for anyone on either side and people got to know each other. The residents had a face and name to equate to the works. Site visits were a couple of times a week during the build and we were always there to answer questions for the neighbours. Sometimes works were changed or altered during a build to cater for the neighbours worries. Then the neignbours were always invited to the opening/finishing party.

I appreciate that may be seen as being too simplistic a way of doing things today, but I can't help feeling the more problems we face now the more we should look over our shoulders for answers.

Anyway, rant over.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Permission has been given the other day for this. Not many conditions, mainly attributed to signage and road safety. I always thought the area was to small and putting a petrol station would be mad in terms of traffic but obviously the council don't think so.

Hopefully they will be competitive and offer cheap petrol. Tramore badly needs it and if they implement a rewards system similar to Tesco then it would be very benefical to their customers!

The Tesco plan for a station was dependent on this I believe, so thats still ongoing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 dm69

thats good news for Tramore, should help business in the Supervalu aswell which in turn might help the failing "town centre" area

• Advertisement
Advertisement