Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IT work in Melbourne

Options
  • 11-09-2008 5:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭

Hello,

I am have recently arrived in Melbourne from Ireland and have been looking for work in the IT sector, specifically in the area of Sys admin/Desktop support/helpdesk, to be honest I am being open minded and broad. I am on a 12 month working holiday visa.

To be honest with nearly 4 years experience under my belt the response has been pretty poor and slow. I have been actively looking for about 3 weeks and not 1 interview. People tell me the work is in Sydney, but Melbourne still is over 3.5 million, so there must be work out there.

My question is has anybody else in the IT sector found it hard to find work in Melbourne? I also think because I am on 12 month workling holiday visa my CV is brushed aside even for contract roles that I am legally allowed to apply for.

I would appreciate and feedback.

hertz

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

I also think because I am on 12 month workling holiday visa my CV is brushed aside even for contract roles that I am legally allowed to apply for.

what roles are you looking for? Perm? Contract?
    how are you going about this? companies directly? agencies?

Helpdesk workers are ten a penny to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

hertz wrote: »
    Hello,

I am have recently arrived in Melbourne from Ireland and have been looking for work in the IT sector, specifically in the area of Sys admin/Desktop support/helpdesk, to be honest I am being open minded and broad. I am on a 12 month working holiday visa.

To be honest with nearly 4 years experience under my belt the response has been pretty poor and slow. I have been actively looking for about 3 weeks and not 1 interview. People tell me the work is in Sydney, but Melbourne still is over 3.5 million, so there must be work out there.

My question is has anybody else in the IT sector found it hard to find work in Melbourne? I also think because I am on 12 month workling holiday visa my CV is brushed aside even for contract roles that I am legally allowed to apply for.

I would appreciate and feedback.

hertz

Dont go through agencies, email companies directly and send them, your CV. If nothing happens, ring them.

They are a lazy bunch and you pretty much just have to take the job off them!

Good luck!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

I just emailed agencies and had a job within a week, had to turn down 2 interviews too, I was looking for the same sort of stuff as you. That was back in February. Moved to Perth recently and seems a lot slower here but started a job on monday. Maybe they're just sick of Irish backpackers at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

I was looking for dev work back in 2005 and found it was very slow there and that was in March. Left the place after 3 weeks to go to Cairns. I found work no problem in Sydney..

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

Hertz

They mightn’t be to quick to hire you as you are only there on a one year work visa . Employers tend to see WHV works as high risk of leaving the job without warning.

Plus they are only aloud to hire you for 3 months 6 Months , part of the visa .

Might be an idea to check out companies with short term contract jobs .

Check out the papers online

Australian Papers

Hope this helps

Drop by the site and let us know how you’re going

• Advertisement

actually they can hire you for 6 months, I got a 6 month contract in melbourne, it's changed a while back

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

Sorry Brazilia my mistake

But still think that employers are weary of employing people on work holiday.

i really had no bother... maybe because i already had lots of contracts done in NZ?

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Coileach dearg

Tell them that you are not a backpacker. I mean tell them you are only on a working holiday visa until you get your skilled migration visa (which you are applying for) or some other visa type. Agencies are looking more in the long term. Its a cruel world out there and sometimes honesty must be left at the door!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

I am doing some contract work for an Austrailian operation.

Has anyone had any good experiences with Aussie invoicing companies and who should I use

• Advertisement

yeah you could use the old my girlfriend is australian and we're trying to settle down here for a while number, always works. Then just say you broke up when you're all lashed at the xmas party.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭hertz

Thanks for the feedback, some good points to think about.

I am looking for only contract work at the moment.

Does anyone know the best newspaper in melbourne that has classified sections for jobs? And what day it comes out?

I heard of the Age, but not sure if it does classified.

hertz

all the jobs are on seek pretty much, don't mind the papers

Advertisement